1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did the writer of “True Detective” plagiarize Thomas Ligotti and others?

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by NaboCane, Aug 6, 2014.

1. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    http://lovecraftzine.com/2014/08/04...tective-plagiarize-thomas-ligotti-and-others/

Could it be; Could someone be that arrogant, to think that he could plagiarize a popular author on a major TV show, and that no one would notice?

That's beyond arrogant. One could accurately state that the main reason for the show's noteriety, as evidenced by the sheer number of memes it spawned, is stolen.

In summary:

2. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    Wow what a great article and interview. That's some legit, thorough work by the journalist.

Pizz was in the wrong. The evidence in the texts is right there, and it's not like it was one line from one book and one from another scattered through the entire season. It's all pulled from one book and crammed into one hour! It's kind of unbelievable, really.

Padgett is right to point out that the scenes in question are foundational moments for Rust and moments that are praised so much from a writing/acting standpoint. That scene is what made episode one so compelling and different.

And Pizz dodging the questions about Ligotti is in some ways the worst part. Pizz is obviously a fine writer himself (we're talking about one episode of one character here), but the way he handled it in the face of the evidence tells me he knew he was wrong and was hiding from it. That's so weak.

(using Pizz today cause it's close to "piss." I've lost a good deal of respect)

3. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    Hmmm. I'm even less enthusiastic about season 2 now

4. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    What gets me about the whole thing is, all he had to do was attribute the concepts! That's it; maybe throw a little change the other guy's way, but honestly I think Ligotti would have been thrilled just to get his name in the credits and attribution that would have sent his book into a new edition; and Pizzolato wouldn't even do that; he STILL won't even acknowledge any part of it!.

Now, through this, he has soured a lot of people on what should remain considered a virtuoso performance by McConaughey, who doesn't get much credit for his serious work. But it won't because the words he said so artfully were ****ing stolen!

ToddPhin likes this.
  5. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    Yeah all he had to do was note the influence of Ligotti more often and reference the book he clearly pulled from. Just come out with what you did and what you were 'inspired' by...and deal with whatever consequences arise.

I bet HBO is really hoping this story doesn't pick up much steam. And if it does...maybe they'll try to cover it up by releasing the Season 2 cast tonight or tomorrow. That'd be funny.

In the end I don't think people will sour on McConaughey. He can do no wrong at the moment, and all he was doing was reading the script. Pizz will get some backlash but it's not gonna keep anyone from watching the second season. It should keep him from winning an Emmy, though, which isn't a huge deal but it's something. It's just a bummer because the rest of what he wrote was also quite good, lol.

In the end my real qualm is that I'm gonna feel all weird when I continue reminding my girlfriend that human consciousness was a misstep in evolution.

6. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    I hope you're right in that it won't affect perception of MM's performance.

7. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Damn, I guess I'm guilty of plagiarizing Ligotti as well considering this is the same philosophy I employ and would state in similar creative fashion if I were writing a screen play even though I've never read Ligotti's work. It's not like he figured out Newton's Laws here.

However, Pizzolatto should've stopped after the Cohle's third line b/c A) the rest is just plain obvious plagiarism, and B) if Pizzolatto is worth a damn as a writer he shouldn't have needed Ligotti's assistance developing Cohle's lines after his personality and integral philosophical views had already been created and established by the third blue line.

8. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Yeah; let's go ahead and parse the blatant plagiarism. That'll make it all so much better.

9. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I think HBO should sue him for either tarnishing their image or blatant conduct detrimental to it. Garnish all his wages earned, fire him, and replace him with another writer for season 2 to distance themselves as far from him and the sour taste he created as possible.

I wonder if Pizz watched "The Words", and if so, how badly he squirmed and sweated through it. :lol:

10. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I'm merely talking about Pizz's ignorance and greed, not rationalizing anything he did. It wasn't good enough for him that Ligotti essentially created Cohle for him [which was already established by the third blue line], but he had to continue the plagiarism even after the "Cohle" as we know him had already been created and established to the viewer. If he stopped after the third blue line nobody would've concluded a thing, but he had to get greedy and push his luck even though the most important aspect of Cohle's being had already been accomplished.

11. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    I think each season was to have all-new cast and writers, anyway. Wasn't it?

12. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Lovecraft E-Zine?

AWESOME.