1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Window Into Philbin?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Galant, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014
    (Reposted comment from the Credo thread since this is more to do with Philbin and leadership than the Credo itself)

Been thinking about this and I think that in talking about the credo there might have been an indication of a problem with Philbin's mentality - DISCLAIMER - I might very well be wrong having read far too much into this, but it would tie into Philbin's stand-off mentality.

What's wrong with the credo? Nothing.

What's wrong with credo's in general? Nothing.

What's wrong here then? It's one thing Philbin said. He said that this was something that came all from the guys, their words, and that it had to come from them.

Depends just what he meant and was thinking but I think he's wrong and this attitude might be an indicator of his natural tendency to stand away from the players and expect/hope things to just happen.

Everyone knows that the ideal scenario in any team or group is that everyone will work together, will see and grasp the vision, will be self-motivated and responsible. However, anyone with a bit of experience or common sense knows that this is almost never the case. Leaders exist for a reason and leadership is important for a reason. Things like this credo DON'T have to come from the team. They CAN come from the leadership, the coaches. If Philbin doesn't understand/has missed this then it may well be a problem. The issue here isn't where the inspiration comes from but rather that it actually inspires. We don't all bring all we need to the table. The whole point of a team is that members make one another better and bring things to the table that other don't have. AS the chief leader of that team Philbin CAN and SHOULD bring things to the table to guide and inspire the team. The issue isn't that things like that come from him or the other coaches, it's whether or not you enable the players to grasp that inspiration and make it their own.

It's possible that Philbin showed his colours when he said that his favourite part was 'I'm a Professional'. Maybe it's another indicator that Philbin (who is naturally -probably - or by strong principle, self-motivated and holds himself to a high standard) really believes that every player on the squad SHOULD NOT need to be inspired or lead and that they should find it within themselves. This would correspond with his tendency last year to keep to himself. It might indicate that he saw his job as providing X's and O's and training schemes etc. and missed the reality that as the chief leader he is and must also be a fountain to the whole team, setting the atmosphere, providing inspiration and other things - just being a leader.

Now don't get me wrong, leadership is darn tough. Not everyone is cut out for it and even when you are it requires a lot. The minimum though, is that you see yourself as that leader, understand your role.

This statement by Philbin that the credo HAD TO COME from the guys might be an indication that he still doesn't see that, or at least, know how to fulfill it.

2. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I don't understand why this isn't in the credo thread galant..

I like it, it gives them something they are going to have to live up to, they put their name in it,and if they don't, I'm gonna be the first to call their asses out about it..

The other reason I like it is because I think when your playing in this town and in that stadium, something like this can only help..

I'd have it posted everywhere I could around them especially before they take the field, just as reminders, you sport it, damn it you better own it.

3. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    I like that it came from the players. They had to put thought into it and come up with a credo that they believed in and wanted to uphold and enforce. Something they take ownership of. That IMO is better than the coach trying to come up with some cheesy slogan and having the coach try to enforce it and/or have it go in one ear and out the other b/c they've invested nothing in it.

djphinfan likes this.
  4. DOLPHAN1

DOLPHAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

5. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    I see this as a positive thing for Philbin more than anything else. He's letting the team have ownership of something instead of being the guy in charge at every turn. The players responded well to it. It's a team building exercise. It's a good thing.

6. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    I like the fact that it comes from the players. A mandate by the coaches to use this credo would make it appear hollow. The fact that it's coming from within, from a locker room that has had public fallout from bullying, sends a stronger message. A message that they understand and have internalized the right from wrong. In the end, actions speak louder than words. We'll see how it all unfolds down the line. For now, it's encouraging to see the players take responsibility for themselves and eachother.

7. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Also, Philbin said in his press conference yesterday that he's aware of the stigma that he's too stiff and stubborn. This is him trying to fix that. It's a GOOD thing.

I mentioned this a few times already, but Philbin really does seem different to me this year. He's more relaxed and seems more sure of himself.

I know Ck and a few others question him doing bed checks, but some of the players have said they respect it because he's giving guys words of encouragement and cracking jokes. He's not being a drill sergeant about it. If you watch Will Davis' interview on The Finsiders yesterday, he seems to get a kick out of it. Now, will it lead to more success? Time will tell, but I appreciate that Philbin is trying new things instead of sticking to the old way.

djphinfan, DOLPHAN1 and 77FinFan like this.
  8. PhinishLine

PhinishLine Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Maryland
    Interesting that the credo was taken from an organization that has a history of hazing though. I'm an Army Brat...so i have no issue with men and women in uniform. Not even a smidge. It's just kind of ironic in that sense.

9. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

I think it's a positive thing for the players/team, as long as the coaches also support it and walk the talk. A huge part of leadership is recognizing when your guys have something, and running with it.

Speaking of the Head Coach position...I'm still not comfortable that I know what his job is supposed to entail, so I'm certainly not knowledgeable enough on Philbin to say he's done a good/bad job, I just know he's not very inspiring and motivating from what I can see. Can somebody please link or post something that should be a mostly inclusive list of his duties to the team? This is all I can come up with:

1. Work with management to formulate direction of the team.
    2. Work with coordinators to institute preferred system.
    3. Hold coaches accountable for their unit(s).
    4. Coach units/players in support of the team's set direction and in addition to what other coaches are putting out.
    5. Talk to the press about the team and its direction.
    6. Motivate players (on the surface, I think he fails here, and it seems like he's recognizing it).
    7. Manage the game-clock/challenges.
    8. Work with management/coaches in formulating desires for personnel to fit within the system, or adjust said system to incorporate talent.
    9. Put the best 53 together, from whatever direction.

Is that pretty much the main stuff? Any of that off base?

10. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014
    This still is in the credo thread but I posted a new one because I wanted to discuss Philbin's possible mentality, his role as a leader and not the credo itself.

I don't have any problem with the credo at all. My point, which I think is mostly being missed, is that I have questions about what Philbin might expect from his players, and thus what he feels he does or doesn't have to provide.

Put simply, I have some doubts about Philbin's appreciation of the value and potential of a strong leader and of what some of the team members might need from him.

Not sure if he's going to be a great leader of men.

11. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I think the players coming up with the credo has zero to do with whether or not he is going to be a great leader of men.

12. Xiidaen

Xiidaen Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 3, 2007
    Do we know how this came about? I'm all for the idea that the team defines the creed -- that makes sense. If Philbin suggested they come up with one, l have no problem with that. If a player or group of players suggested it, I can't blame Philbin. To me, he's building the right atmosphere where it can occur. If it came out of a formal class or exercise then they knew this was an output in advance. It being moderated or led in the class does not diminish the players' ownership of the result.