1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Best Steak You Ever Had

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Bpk, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

What's the best steak you ever had?

Where'd you have it & what made it memorable?

2. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I've never had a steak that I enjoyed. I'm not a vegetarian, but I'm extremely picky when it comes to my food, and especially meat. While I love a good cheeseburger, steak just generally doesn't appeal to me. I've never understood how people will pay so much for it. But then again, some people eat meat that I consider one step above raw. I order mine "beyond well done". Anything else and I get sick.

Bpk likes this.
  3. bigbry

bigbry Huge Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Colorado
    Clearly you have misunderstood the question.

4. McLovin

McLovin Resident Pats fan.

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka
    Bob Evans :shifty:

Saw CiF there.

Fin-Omenal, ToddPhin and Bpk like this.
  5. Bpk

Chowin' down on his fave --- as he'd say "****rified stake!"
    [​IMG]

Fin-Omenal and ToddPhin like this.
  6. McLovin

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka
    Why aren't you in the Hey Fin D thread?

7. Bpk

Is there meat there?

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  8. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    That's why you've never had a steak you enjoyed. And you should never pay that much for a steak b/c what your getting is called charcoal.

9. DenverDolfan

DenverDolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 13, 2009
    Lakewood CO
    48 oz. steak at Shula's. Awesome.

gunn34 and Bpk like this.
  10. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Most memorable: http://www.elysrestaurant.com/

18oz New York Strip. Medium rare. Was an anniversary dinner in late summer. Enjoyed the ambiance and sotto voce conversation of the restaurant. Tables aren't tiny and shoved too close together, nor are the patrons or staff loud. The steak was absolutely perfect - grilled just past rare, the meat with a light char along the outer edges providing a nice contrast to the smoothness of the red center. It was in it's own warm, coppery tasting juices from the blood and fats that were seeping from it as I sliced into it. Had the Jumbo lump crabmeat as a side rather than a topping. I forget the wine I had with it, but it was a lovely compliment to the steak as well. Later, my woman and I opened the moonroof in the parking lot and made out as a live band performed a surprisingly good rendition of "Ain't No Sunshine When She's Gone" across the way. A really spectacular night... need to hit them again. Thanks for starting this thread. ;-)

Another surprisingly good steak I had at Karl Strauss's Brewery in San Diego. Coupled it with asparagus and a brew. Was quite nice... as was the eye candy staff... lol...

eltos_lightfoot and Bpk like this.
  11. ether79

ether79 ****

Dec 21, 2007
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    28 oz medium rare porterhouse at St. Elmos in Indy. Words cannot describe with justice. Also the shrimp cocktail and local raised lamb porterhouse are things legend are made of. But to me the Steak is star and suprisingly underrated being a steakhouse.

12. Bpk

Did you finish it?

DenverDolfan likes this.
  13. Bpk

Man, this was great. Reads like erotic fiction for dudes.

14. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009

Be honest. Anytime there's a piece of meat in your mouth, it's automatically the "best piece of meat" you've ever had. You damn liar.

Bpk and McLovin like this.
  15. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    [​IMG]

Paul 13, Bpk, cuchulainn and 2 others like this.
  16. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Ribeye on top of garlic mashed potatoes from "Le Cellier" at Disneys EPCOT

[​IMG]

Cooked to perfection. Medium Rare. Beautifully crusted. Huge. Melted in my mouth. And it was included with my package to Disney, and I paired it with a beer flight. Incredible.

finyank13, gunn34, Bpk and 3 others like this.
  17. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    :chuckle:
    yes

Bpk likes this.
  18. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    1.Peter Lugers - Brooklyn

2.Mortons - Philly

3.Del Monico - Las Vegas

4. Prime 112 - South Beach (to be fair, I was black out drunk...may be higher)

5. Smith and Wollinsksy's - Philly

Honorable mention, Shula's in Key West. And if it weren't for the name, it wouldn't be mentioned.

finyank13, Bpk and ToddPhin like this.
  19. McLovin

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka
    That's the sweetest thing you have ever said to me.

Alex13 likes this.
  20. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Tough question; I've been to the best steakhouses in the country.

There used to be an old-school joint right across from the Omni in Miami; it was named Arthur's Steakhouse. The steak there was old-school as well, served topped with maître d' butter, and you didn't have to order the traditional sides—creamed spinach, hash browns etc. all came with it. The steak and lobster was like a pitched battle to finish, but oh-so-worth-it.

I had a 2.5lb porterhouse at Ruth's Chris in DT Seattle that almost made me weep, it was so good.

A filet at The Metropolitan Grill, also in DT Seattle, that was top-five.

A ribeye at Morton's, also in DT Seattle, that was amazing. But the ambiance was loud and obnoxious, and that detracted from the experience.

The churrasco at Los Ranchos in Bayside (DT Miami) years ago was transcendent. I had two.

A filet at Bern's in Tampa that was top-ten.

A filet at Shula's in Miami Lakes that I'll never forget, along with a shrimp cocktail with the most gigantic shrimp I've ever seen.

About a couple dozen steaks at Daniel's Broiler in Bellevue, WA over 16 years; all were ****ing amazing, they never fail at steak there.

But the absolute best steakhouse in the country IMHO is El Gaucho in DT Seattle. Number one in everything, from the tableside-made Caesar salad, to the sides, to the cocktails, to the wine list, to the amenities, to the service, to the best goddamn steaks I've ever had anywhere. If you're in Seattle, don't miss out.

eltos_lightfoot, Boik14, SICK and 3 others like this.
  21. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    My most memorable?... hmph, tough one.
    I had an aged prime 24 oz bone-in ribeye once at the authentic Tuscan "Lucca Restaurant" at the Boca Raton Resort. It was prepared/cooked by Mario Batali's ex sous chef and was drizzled with one of the best olive oils on the planet that was infused with fresh garlic and rosemary. Outstanding crust. Perfectly charred but not burnt.

But I gotta say the best steak I've ever had was my homemade concoction. It was a beautiful inch and a half thick strip from Whole Foods that I dry aged for 3 days in the fridge and then marinated for 2 days in a mix of fresh peach juice, pineapple teriyaki, fresh rosemary, cayenne pepper, crushed garlic, and a dash of ginger juice. Grilled it quickly to rare with a nice crust. Took the marinade and added butter & some liquid corn starch to it and reduced it down to a sweet spicy glaze. Let the strip cool ten minutes, sliced it thin, drizzled it with the glaze, then put it under the broiler a couple minutes till medium rare. The depth of flavor was extraordinary.

SICK and Bpk like this.
  22. McLovin

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka
    Last two posts are lies. You can't go to restaurants on foodstamps.

SICK, gunn34, Bpk and 3 others like this.
  23. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Jack Binions Steakhouse has a filet that IMO put Ruths Chris too shame. Like another poster said, medium rare is the way to go...the more it is cooked, the more flavor you lose.

Bpk likes this.
  24. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    1] Blackened Ny strip at The palm..best prime chain. freakin amazin.

Bpk and ToddPhin like this.
  25. bigbry

bigbry Huge Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Colorado
    Dude, you trade the stamps for pot. You carefully thread the pot in very small portions around a bamboo stick and tell the potheads you previously traded the stamps to that its Thai Stick. Not just ordinary Thai, but killer Thai.

Easily 10 times the original amount.

Sure it takes a little time, bamboo sticks and some rasta hair but hey you really want a good steak.

SICK, Bpk, McLovin and 1 other person like this.
  26. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Most underrated steak in the country probably belongs to the filet from Houston's Restaurant, especially if they have any prime beef on hand. Dry aged, seasoned amazingly, wood grilled, cuts like butter. Better than my few experiences at Ruth's Chris and nearly half the cost. Definitely better than the filet at the famous La Vieille Maison in Boca Raton. Better than TGI Friday's filet too.

27. bigbry

bigbry Huge Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Colorado
    [​IMG]

Hahahahahahaah

SICK, Bpk, Sethdaddy8 and 1 other person like this.
  28. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Guess CiF just logged in.

SICK, Sethdaddy8 and bigbry like this.
  29. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Anyone here try wagyu beef?

the ribeye gets so marbled it almost looks off-putting.
    [​IMG]

I'd flip out to try a filet though.
    [​IMG]

finyank13, SICK, Bpk and 1 other person like this.
  30. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Sorry, Todd, but you brought TGIF into this thread. Nothing you say on the topic now is valid.

SICK, Bpk, cuchulainn and 2 others like this.
  31. McLovin

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka
    [video=youtube;Xhu9vzJXlYM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xhu9vzJXlYM[/video]

Bpk likes this.
  32. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I hear Nabo has never stuffed a rolled-up sirloin into a rubber and sat on it.

33. McLovin

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka
    [​IMG]

bigbry, SICK and Bpk like this.
  34. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    I'm having deja vu...but anyway...one of my favorites for grilling is a skirt steak.

35. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    add another one to the 90% club, Nabo.

36. McLovin

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka
    So you think she would like a rolled up sirloin in a rubber? Well you have the moistener job.

Bpk likes this.
  37. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Separately, the ribeye steak sandwich with caramelized onions, medium rare (of course), and served on a grilled French loaf at Capital Grill in Philly is phenomenal. Messy as hell, but worth it. One of my favorite lunches as I'm in Philly almost every month. https://www.thecapitalgrille.com/

The filet at Del Frisco's is also very nice. http://delfriscos.com/philadelphia/menus/lunch

Not a fan of Morton's or Ruth's Chris. Always felt they were over rated. Shula's is good though.

Dunno about you guys, but for me, putting some sort of sauce on your steak is a damned abomination. Usually means you're eating an overdone steak of dubious quality... or you fkd it up grilling it yourself... lol...

38. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I bet you are!! And where do you travel for business? :chuckle:

39. McLovin

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka
    does any dolphin fan think that shulas is bad though? I went to one in Baltimore and it was good awful terrible.

It tasted like washed up quarterback and overrated coach. Made me think of naming a restaurant Parcells/Bledsoe

40. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Wait, so on days that you don't feel like eating plain steak [I'm assuming you have those days], would you rather have a wimpy piece of salmon or chicken to mix things up than a specially marinated 16 oz NY strip? Who's the ****y now. :lol: