1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sports Buzz :Twenty notes, quotes, tidbits and observations

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by CrunchTime, Jul 25, 2014.

1. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007

There is a lot more to read and ponder about in this edition of Sports Buzz:yes:
    http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...from-first-day-of-dolphins-training-camp.html

2. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Like Barry Jackson, I too find it curious that Shelley Smith inferred that he'd fill in for Pouncey, all year, if needed.

3. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    I like the bubble screens if we can block for them, outside of running the ball it's the best way to slow down a pass rush.

77FinFan likes this.
  4. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    A few interesting highlights today in the Arthur Lynch interview. One play in particular that caught my attention was Brian Hartline motioning into the backfield, right-to-left, and Tannehill, in the gun, received the snap and fakes a jet sweep to Hartline, while Lynch crossed behind the line of scrimmage, left-to-right, and Tannehill dumps it to him in the flat.

Lynch was also lined up in the backfield with Tannehill on one play where a RB traditionally would be, and instead of blocking, he ran a flare out to the left side.

Caught my eye. I'd imagine Charles Clay and Michael Egnew being involved in similar type plays. Clay especially.

5. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Wallace:

At least he's aware of this issue. Hopefully he's serious about improving upon it...

VManis, Ohio Fanatic, TiP54 and 2 others like this.
  6. Phoenician Fan

Phoenician Fan Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Expect to continue to hear good things about Matt Hazel.

7. Larry Little

Larry Little Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    I'm no scout, but... I couldn't find very much of anything on the guy after we drafted him. One or two short highlight clips on YouTube and the usual scouting reports was all I could find. Like you, a few people are high on him. I'd like to hear more about him.

8. Larry Little

Larry Little Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    This piece and the Greg Cote article are both really nice asides to the garbage Armando and Omar are currently farting out.

9. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    the problem is that it's all scheme dependent, lynch or Egnew isn't going to do anything with the ball when it gets in their hands,.if they play design works you might get 7 yards..

77FinFan likes this.
  10. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    That's so key right now. furthermore, with the interior line likely being crappy until Pouncey comes back, the scheme is going to have to compensate for it.

11. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    It's a setup play. It's a play you're running to setup something 2-3 plays down the road. And if it's 2nd or 3rd and 6 and you get 7...play worked.

12. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    First 3 plays of today's practice:

1) Ryan Tannehill keeper on option
    2) End-around to Hartline
    3) Lamar Miller on zone-read

13. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    Oh man...Brian Hartline carrying it from the backfield. What could go wrong? He's so dynamic with the football...

That said...I love the commitment to running the damn ball. It should be a TOP priority.

14. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I always try to force myself to remember that during TC that some of these plays are practiced just to see how they look. An end-around might actually be for Wallace or a guy like Marcus Thigpen.

15. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    They're not lining Hartline up to run between the tackles. It's probably an orbit motion deal that will see Hartline take a reverse on an option play or available for a screen on a packaged play.

He's a reasonable choice over Wallace. He doesn't have great balance but Wallace is a bit of a candy *** so it evens out. Hartline has a better career rushing average and was a pretty good punt returner in college(which no one has even tried Wallace as).

16. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    So, the guy who's been on the team over a year has to move position for the guy signed a couple of weeks ago? That's kind of crappy.

17. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    He scored a touchdown a couple of years ago on an end-around from like ten yards out if I remember correctly, I believe Dan Henning was the OC at the time (I think it might have been the year before Brian Daboll).I agree with Desides about Dallas Thomas. He played mostly the left side at college and was rooting for him to get comfortable in that LG position. Maybe the fact that he and James were former linemates at UT factored into the move to the right side, but we gotta see if that inexperience will be crippling.

18. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Colledge is one of "Philbin's guys". I'm calling that a thing now.

19. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Some guys switch sides better than others, and it doesn't really have a lot to do with the upside they have as players. They tried Colledge at RG first so it seems most likely the issue was him not switching well and less to do with Thomas

20. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    He's intriguing. If we were as thin at WR as we were when Philbin first got here...........I'd say he'd be a guy who made that top 4. Right now though he's in a battle with Matthews/Binns which should be a great competition. Unless he blows them away I think they try to stash him on the practice squad and let Matthews/Binns fight it out.