1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Greg Cote: Year 3 means proving ground for Miami Dolphins’ Ryan Tannehill

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Sceeto, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/07/...ving.html?asset_id=4254697&asset_type=gallery
    :tantrum: F'em!

Fin-Omenal, 54Fins, RoninFin4 and 2 others like this.
  2. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    First non-boring article I've read in weeks. What good timing. Got a 2 week vacation starting tomorrow morning to go with my heaping of TC news daily.

Sceeto likes this.
  3. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    you mean the dolphins actually have talent? from the recent articles i thought the dolphins were the 2008 lions.

4. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    It would be easier to take the whole "year 3" improvement diatribe more seriously if this offensive line wasn't in disarray and if RT had a true #1 WR to compliment the rest of the receiving core. Only the Rams have mismanaged their "Franchise QB of the future" worse than Miami.

ASOT and toto like this.
  5. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    “Making big plays when the team needs it,” as Philbin put it."

Well, either he sucks or you programmed him to stay in the pocket, which one is it?

6. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I guess this means if the Dolphins once again fail to have a winning season . You are ready to give Tannehill another excuse and place the blame on the OL or some other area of the team.

I agree the OL is a question mark going into the season, but the Seahawks didn't have a very good OL last year and their second year QB led them to a win in the Super Bowl. Luck has taken his team to the playoffs both years he has been in the league and he took over as QB on a team in 2012 which had the worst record in the league in 2011.

Even RG3 led a Redskins team with very little talent on it to the playoffs in his rookie season.

It is now time for the 26 year old Tannehill to step and prove he is a quality QB in the NFL, in his third year in the league. Time for excuses for him ended after last season. It is playoffs or bust for Tannehill, Philbin, and many other members of this organization, IMO. Many people on this forum say Tannehill has the skill set to be a quality starter in the NFL. So he needs to step up and prove this season that he deserves to be the long term starter for this team. If he doesn't, hopefully the Dolphins will be able to get one of the top young QB's in the 2015 draft.

As far as Tannehill not having a #1 receiver. I see this WR corp as one of the top WR corps in the NFL. They certainly have to rank in the top 10 group of WR's in the NFL at this time.
    Wallace would have had better numbers than the vast majority of WR's in the NFL last year if Tannehill could actually throw a decent deep ball. With a QB who had a more accurate arm on long passes, Wallace would certainly be seen as a true #1 WR. The fault lies with Tannehill and not Wallace, if Wallace is not looked at as a #1 WR by some people.

7. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

If the Oline plays as bad as last year (possible), and the running game is the same as last year (also possible), Tannehill will have a better year even if his deep throws don't improve...even if he was the exact same skill level as last year (which was plenty good enough IMHO). The scheme alone will improve his numbers. Barring some catastrophic injuries, I can't see them NOT making the playoffs.

If he plays worse, then ya maybe it's time to start looking...but I'm 100% confident that won't happen.

8. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    Is "excuse" another way of saying reasonable and rational explanation? If so, then yes. 2014 is looking like more of a continuation of 2013 everyday. Hopefully Bill Lazor can scheme out us out of a train wreck.

A question mark? Five new starters. Brandon Albert is physically breaking down. At LG, we have a rookie from DII and a 2nd year player in Dallas Thomas who was terrible as a rookie. At Center, we have Shelly Smith. He's never played center. At RG, Daryn Colledge. Yippe.... And at RT, a rookie.

What is your question, again?

Where do I begin?

A). Russell Wilson was the QB of the team who won the SB. I like Russell Wilson. He's a talented young QB but he wasn't consistent throughout the year and Seattle relied on a great running game and defense more so than his ability. Put Wilson in Miami, and he's no better than Tannehill. P.S. RGIII showed how good he really is in 2014. He can't read defenses. He's a product of his athletic ability and the pistol offense. Nothing more.

B). Miami's offensive line was an abomination. Don't compare Seattle's line to Miami's. It's bull****.

C). Colts tanked their season after losing Peyton, an all-time great QB, to get Andrew Luck. The team was a perennial 12 win team prior to Peyton's injury. Andrew Luck deserves some credit. He's a great young QB, even if he's overhyped.

D). Andrew Luck was a decorated 5th year senior, 4 year starter, coached by offensive genius Jim Harbaugh. Ryan Tannehill started 16 games for Mike Sherman who was fired. Twice. Ryan has come a long way in 32 NFL starts. Anyone who doesn't see that is blind. Willingly or otherwise.

Tannehill will be the starting QB in 2015 no matter what. It's the last year of his deal and he's cheap. Even if we do draft a QB and fire Philbin. And the fact is, Tannehill proved a lot last season. Miami would not of even been in playoff contention without him.

Best WR corps in the NFL? lol.

As for Tannehill and Wallace... Tannehill was 13/28 on deep balls to every other WR. 6/36 on deep balls to Mike Wallace. PFF has Tannehill graded 7th in the NFL on passes traveling 40+ yards in the air. 6th in balls traveling 30+ yards in the air. Wallace sucks. He can't run clean routes, has stone hands, consistently fails to track the ball in the air, and doesn't fight for passes. Enjoy Mike Wallace while you can. He's gone next season. Along with the rest of Ireland's pathetic 2013 FA signings.

cuchulainn likes this.
  9. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii

I certainly never liked Ireland as the GM, as many posters on here will attest. My view is that the top tier QB's make the players around them better. Tannehill hasn't shown in the past two years that he is this type QB. In fact I think the Dolphins could have had the same 15-17 or better record with Matt Moore as the starting QB the past two seasons and I have never viewed Moore as anything but a quality backup in the NFL.

I hope Tannehill steps up this season and proves that he deserves to be the long term starter for the Dolphins. I don't want to see the Dolphins have to start all over again with another young QB. Yet I also expect Tannehill to show this season that he can consistently put this team on his back and lead the team to victory in the fourth quarter of games which are close. That is what the better QB's in the NFL do on a consistent basis and Tannehill has yet to prove he can do this on a consistent basis.

As I stated earlier. To me, it is playoffs or bust for Tannehill this year and I hope he plays well enough to lead this team to the playoffs. Another 8-8 season or worse and I just don't see the next head coach wanting to place his job in jeopardy with Tannehill as his starting QB.

I am certainly willing to let the season play itself out, but Tannehill needs to show far more in 2014 than he did in his first two seasons as the Dolphins starting QB IMO.

10. PhinFan1968

WADR, completely disagree...he could play at exactly the same level he did last year, in an improved OL and running game, and he'd go deep into the playoffs. He doesn't need to show "far" more (although I wouldn't complain).

Couple plays from the playoffs and he's "far" lesser than needed to get there...I don't understand it.

Ya...the "carry" QB...we had that for many, many years, and it resulted in 0 championships.

Peyton Manning, for all his talent and football smarts, still lags behind his mediocre brother 2 to 1 in championships. I refuse to put a whole team's success or failure on one guy.

cuchulainn and Clark Kent like this.
  11. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Brandon Marshall would be nice.

12. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I would be quite happy with the team just making the playoffs this season. I think there are several teams in the AFC with a much better chance of playing in the SB.

Also based on Tannehill's play in the last two games, when the Dolphins had a legitimate chance to make the playoffs last year, I do feel that his play has to be vastly improved if this years team has a chance of making the playoffs.

While nobody played well in those last two games, Tannehill certainly did nothing as the leader of the offense to bring up the level of play by the rest of the offensive unit. That is what I expect from a quality QB in the NFL and what I have yet to see from Tannehill in his two years in the NFL. That is why I think year three for Tannehill will answer the question, is he the right QB for the job or not?

PhinFan1968 likes this.
  13. PhinFan1968

I understand where you're coming from. I guess I just give him a pass on that last game because he was injured. The Bills game...that was just horrid. I think the weather (along with 11 defenders) beat him down. Not excusing it, I just think that's what happened...it was a terrible game, for many Dolphins. 7 sacks?!

I'm expecting a good bit of improvement out of RT, simply because of the system, so hopefully we both get what we want.

jw3102 likes this.
  14. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    You mean that team that had Alfred Morris and his rookie of the year season he had?

15. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    I would be happy to settle for Greg Jennings.

16. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    While Morris certainly had a very productive season. It was basically a rookie QB, (RG3), who took this very ordinary team to the playoffs. In fact after he was injured in the playoff game, the Redskins basically lost any chance of winning the game. It certainly wasn't the play of Morris which carried the team during the season, but it was the play of RG3.

Perhaps you might have noticed that last season the Redskins were not a factor at all because RG3 never fully recovered from his injury and without him playing at the level he did in 2012, Morris and the rest of the team just weren't very good.

In 2012 RG3 was able to elevate the play of those around him and therefore he was able to lead a very mediocre team to the playoffs. That is what the better QB's in the NFL are able to do.

The Dolphins have had as much talent on their roster the past two seasons as the Redskins, yet they haven't even had a winning season with Tannehill at QB, much less make the playoffs. It is time Tannehill show that he can lead this team to the playoffs if we are to accept that he is the long term answer at the QB position for the Dolphins.

17. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    I hope this is a joke..

Sceeto likes this.
  18. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    No joke. Greg Jennings > Mike Wallace. And he's cheaper.

19. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Well...Wallace despite being "missed" on a handful of big plays that would've boosted his stats, outperformed Jennings in basically every statistical category last season. He also had a smaller cap hit than ole Greg in 2013.

Cliffs: Wallace played better and cost less.

Sceeto likes this.
  20. Griese's Glasses

Griese's Glasses Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Ottawa, ON
    I kind of, you know, support Ryan T-Hill...but he needs to have an outstanding season in order to be locked in for that franchise-QB contract that he and everyone around him want to see him earn. Hopefully the OL and the receiver core can keep their **** together and Ryan can dazzle with 30 TDs and less than 15 INTs that I know he has in him.

I don't believe his destiny is tied to the team W/L record...it shouldn't be. If he can just get out there, do what we brought him here to do, the rest will either sort itself out OR there will be rolling heads....but they won't be Ryan's.

PhinFan1968 likes this.
  21. PhinFan1968

I'm hoping this is the year they FINALLY get back to a culture of winning around here. No more locker room bulls***...no more vanilla, entirely predictable schemes and play-calling...high character dudes who give a damn...cool-headed, hungry vets...guys fully buying in to the system (both sides)...exciting young guys...

They're talking the right game...they just need to play it.