1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philbin talks about upcoming season.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by djphinfan, Jul 25, 2014.

1. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007

DPlus47 likes this.
  2. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I think the writer has PFT mixed up with PFF...lol.

3. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I remember this being emphasized in his first presser...

4. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I'm quoting Roy from Miami..I think it's a valid question and maybe something we shouldn't continue holding it against him.

Time to move on, we know he had a few inherited dummies in Cog, Martin and Duncy.

Fin D likes this.
  5. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Wanna see a cool stat, or a torturous one?

Source..PFF.

Ohio Fanatic likes this.
  6. scotty_irnbru

scotty_irnbru Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Dundee, Scotland
    If ever something was deserving of an 'unzips'...

7. Phoenician Fan

Phoenician Fan Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2013
    This thread has a twilight zone zone feel to it.

8. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I could almost swear, Tony Sparano said the same things, nearly verbatim

Sparano had a better line and Rb's and Chad Henne

Philbin has a worse Oline and running backs and Ryan Tannehill

I do believe this roster is deeper, especially at Wr, and more explosive on offensive, or at least more competent. Defense leaves me confused, are they a dominating unit?

9. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    I was thinking Groundhog Day. That's what a myriad of +,- .500 seasons does. From Wannstache's "We're close" to Philbin's "I expect us to be a good football team".

I just can't get all that invested in Coach and Player speak anymore. Show us what you got on the field.

DPlus47 likes this.
  10. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    Coachspeak is awful, but Philbinspeak is even worse. Our strength is playmakers...that's laughable but I guess it sounds nice. Improvement...lol. Thanks man. Last two weeks of the season we got our sh-t kicked in by our two weaker division rivals with the playoffs on the line.

LBsFinest likes this.
  11. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Anyone else shocked that PFT's ranking the Dolphins #31 in the league actually prompted a phone call from Steve Ross?

In my opinion, that's a testament to the pressure Philbin will be under to win this season.

12. eltos_lightfoot

eltos_lightfoot Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2008
    Good. I don't see exactly what Philbin has earned to NOT be under pressure this season. Ireland had his hand in our difficulties as well, but the lack of playtime for rookies isn't exactly good for the long-term, and we aren't winning in the short-term--so what exactly is the plan here?

13. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    If the brain trust had their ducks in a row, they would have assessments of each team in the league on hand, as well as assessments of the Dolphins. They would develop rankings/ratings based on a combination of what the teams showed in the previous year combined with the expectations from the new acquisitions.

Then they could show key areas of improvement they expect to make for themselves versus what happened a year ago, along with detailed plans of how and why they expect to get there. Then they re-rank the team based on the improvements they expect.

14. eltos_lightfoot

eltos_lightfoot Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2008
    That sounds like something I would do (I am an informatics guy), or you would do given your background. I can only hope that the Dolphins have been as intelligent. :confused2:

Seriously though, I honestly hope they have, but I just have less faith in Ross as the years go by...he almost seems like the kind of boss you have where he always changes his mind to the point-of-view of whoever talked to him last.

DPlus47 and ckparrothead like this.
  15. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Steve Ross was out at practice and not in the shade but rather out in the middle of the field sweating and watching the players.

I think he's more engaged than he's ever been. Put that together with his obvious upset at being ranked #31 and I think he is definitely putting the pressure on this year. Which means disappointment results in firings.

eltos_lightfoot likes this.
  16. Den54

Den54 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    AMERICA!
    Jim Harbarugh come on down.

17. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Ross..Go get'em you tiger you..

18. PhinGeneral

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    Shocked in that it depicts an owner that seems to have been taken by surprise that the possibility of that ranking existed.

19. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I dunno, I thought it was pretty surprising too. Generally the Dolphins had been ranked somewhere between 21 and 26, and prior to that somewhere around 16 to 20. Being ranked 31 is a whole different level of awful and there's a reason it raised eyebrows.

eltos_lightfoot likes this.
  20. PhinGeneral

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    I suppose, but if I were Ross I might be more alarmed if it came from sources a bit more dialed in than the PFT staff. Not that they're bad, but like a lot of national media they're probably a bit more distanced.

21. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I chuckle at "rankings" in the NFL, that crap is for the semi pros in the NCAA, this attempt to "Rank" is merely journalists falling into a frame of mind of what works elsewhere

I do think Davie has had a "Bunker"" mindset for a long time, dating back to the Wanny Era and his goofball, clueless looks, ran through Saban, continued with Cameron's "fail forward fast" and then on and on with "One Voice" under Parcells/Ireland.

Any sort of bunker buster that hits them and causes a reaction I'm in favor of, just cannot take "Rankings" seriously.

For example, where was KC "ranked" last yr going into the season process?

Alex Smith? Game Manager! etc

22. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
  23. Itsdahumidity

Itsdahumidity X gonna take it from ya

Dec 10, 2007
    I'll believe it when I see it. This is the same guy who had no intention of firing jeffy outright after this past season. And why is he STILL doing pressers!!?

24. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Well this one in particular seemed to be about the stadium upgrades because the construction plans are being finalized and so he wanted to share with everyone the new things that will happen to the stadium.

25. Deerless Dice

Deerless Dice Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Oct 30, 2013
    I don't understand their rankings. Jags are 200-1, started at 150-1 are ranked 29? With Chad Henne as their starting quarterback? Now I feel dirty i gave PFT a click

xphinfanx likes this.
  26. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    The interesting thing is I believe I saw tweeted that the guy who wrote the review of the Dolphins ranked them 26th but someone higher up bombed the Dolphins down to 31st. I don't know who that person was. I do know the PFT/Rotoworld people aren't high on the Dolphins.

27. Itsdahumidity

Dec 10, 2007
    Weren't the upgrade questions answered a few months ago? And as far as sharing the "new things" goes, couldn't Garfinkel do the Q&A?

28. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I'm not sure they had details on the stadium upgrades a month or however long ago. And I'm also not particularly sure why Garfinkel should be trotted out to talk about it instead of Ross, other than the whole "Ross sux0rz!" thing.

29. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Laughable really, which is why they should not be paid attention to at all

Rather, look for yourself what is happening in TC

Kraken is making James look silly so far, not a good sign, Starks is running by Thomas, the Centers are rolling snaps to the Qb, those things matter and are either rapidly improved or we all know what to buckle our seat belts in anticipation

I've followed the league for yrs, those who psshaw Training Camp incompetence are in for a disappointment once the season begins

30. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Florio has final say on everything that goes on PFT. Start with him, maybe work your way down to Evan Silva.

What really surprises me is that the Dolphins internally were surprised. You're starting five new guys, including two rookies, on a unit that arguably sabotaged your entire 2013 season in a historically awful manner both on and off the field. Your overpaid #1 WR didn't work with your struggling QB in the offseason, and your only real coaching change was to reluctantly fire the OC and OLC.

All this adds up to being surprised at a low opinion? Talk about lack of self-awareness…

And hey, at least we know Ross reads PFT now. When Florio inevitably torpedoes the Dolphins multiple times this season, maybe it will finally prompt the full toilet flush this organization needs.

31. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I understand low opinion but #31 is harsh...and probably uncalled for. I mean they're basically saying only one team is worse than Miami. Even if they finished the year pathetically in the final two weeks, you don't say that about an 8-8 team unless they got GUTTED in the off season, which Miami didn't.

Mile High Fin, 77FinFan and VManis like this.
  32. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    and still finished 8-8 being 8-6 with 2 games to go

GMJohnson likes this.
  33. Itsdahumidity

Dec 10, 2007
    Ross sux0rz! is a thing b/c the results of the past 5 years dictate he does indeed suck. Clearly you seem excited from his excitement or at the very least feel the need to defend him but tell me, why don't the fans of SEA, SF, NYG, PIT etc always see the owners in front of cameras?

You don't know why the CEO would suffice? Anyway today was suppose to be about the football team. What do the so-called stadium improvements have to do with the roster?

34. Den54

Den54 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    AMERICA!

:omg:

MrClean and Deerless Dice like this.
  35. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    What does this have to do with changes that were made after the end of the season? The point is that national perception is that not enough has changed, or changed positively enough, to justify saying even a few nice things about the Dolphins.

We do this "the media hates us" thing every year, and then every year the team goes out and screws up in new and innovative ways.

36. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

There should be pressure to win and be above .500 imo . Enough is enough . Explanations , reasons , excuses are all done with .

37. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    All I cared about from this conversation with Philbin is that Ross appears concerned enough about the low ranking of the Dolphins, he took the time to call Philbin about it. Perhaps this means that Ross will be expecting this team to make the playoffs this season or Philbin will be shown the door. That is the way it should be and right now I would expect that Philbin should be at the top of the list of NFL head coaches on the hot seat, heading into this season.

As for all the positive comments from Philbin regarding the upcoming season is concerned. We have been hearing these same type comments from every head coach before a season, for years. Yet once the season has ended, all we have heard in recent years was what went wrong during the season and how they were going to fix the problems during the off season. I have been waiting for years for these problems to be fixed. So Philbin can be as positive as he wants, but it all comes down to how his team performs during the regular season. Nothing else matters at all.

38. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    The most important point in your statement is that the Dolphins lost their last two games. To play your worst two games of the season with the playoffs on the line, clearly shows a weakness in the coaching staff and mental weakness by many of the players on the roster, including the QB.

39. ASOT

ASOT New Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Coral Gables, FL
    3 years ago......yeah lots of progress.

I'm convinced we'll never get back to being a regular winning franchise until we have an owner that is fully invested in the team, instead of just TRYING to look like he is.

40. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Philbin expresses confidence in the team prior to the season and he's being criticized for it? You guys are pathetic. Pathetic losers, to be exact.

MrClean likes this.