1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I wish we would move our training camp.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by djphinfan, Jul 17, 2014.

1. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    For obvious reasons..always have.

Take the debauchery away, take the comfortability out of the equation, make them focus on the game, live, eat, breathe football and screw everyone else..

The heat advantage is as overrated as it gets, and I can't find any positives that have to do with football staying in Miami for training camp, I can find all kinds of positives going to an outside location..

Make sure the players have great beds, so they can recover their bodies correctly,and lets do something about breaking the cycle of average to below.

Obviously it won't be this year, and I know we have a real pretty training camp site..but I just think everything is to comfortable..

This team needs to be kicked in the ***, they need to rough it, they definitely need to play a more emotional brand of football..bottom line, make their asses tougher..

One more year of a slow start, one more year of average, and I would hope that this idea would be talked about, and better yet, come to fruition.

2. Eop05

Eop05 Junior Member Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    It's not like we're getting better as the season progresses though.

If we were a team that consistently starts slow and picks up steam, especially finishing strong...I'd agree. But we're not Each of our past 5 mediocre seasons had it's own identity of 7-9 or 8-8. They didn't follow a pattern.

The Giants won the Superbowl the first year they had their training camp in the NJ facility next to the Stadium. This after 15 years of being in Albany.

toto and unluckyluciano like this.
  3. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Its not like the players would be cut off from the world like they might have been 25 years ago. Regardless of location, the same distractions will be there.

4. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Currently about 15 teams get away from the confines of their home, if you don't see a pattern of mediocrity I'm not sure what your looking at, regardless of when the crumbles happen, the camp you have, the bonding, the focus you can achieve during it can extend and show up at different times during the season..imo Miami is not the best place to have a training camp,the culture is not there, there's a lot of things that can distract, might as well just get away and make it all about football..even when practice is over.

5. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    That's just not true..the same distractions are not everywhere, it's why half the teams do move.there is a reason why they do it, they have their beliefs as to why, my point is, in Miami, those distractions are as high as anyone,ace in the country, I think were a prime candidate to move these dudes..

Chemistry, unity, togetherness, emotion, focus, attention to detail, less distractions all play a role in this game, where do you think those things can be best achieved?, miami or somewhere like Ocala?

mullingan likes this.
  6. Finfangirl

Finfangirl Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Bay Area, Ca
    5 of those teams are Dallas, buffalo, NYJ, Minnesota and Oakland and for the most part they speak for disfunction and mediocrity.

Silverphin, toto, Eop05 and 1 other person like this.
  7. jdallen1222

jdallen1222 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Plantation, Fl
    You've only started one thread, what have you been doing all day?

8. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    I think you've been watching remember the titans too much.

brandon27 likes this.
  9. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I think if there is a team that might gain something out of it, Miami is it, and I'm sure you would hear both sides, my side is I can find all kinds of positives that could come from it, , I'm not sure I can find as many positives staying, maybe it's something phycological that I'm missing that staying at home benefits the players over being isolated with your team (like marines)?, and I don't consider the circumstances similar to a home game during the season ..its a month, it's pretty much just Less distraction which can't hurt ya know, or ,are you saying that the same distractions exist everywhere?

What are your pros and cons.?

10. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    theres quotes out there that would suprise you, I understand that staying close to home can be economically friendly, easier on everyone in general, however, if there is a team that it could help, I think it's us, maybe we should go Denzel on those mothers..

Choked on two games to miss playoffs, average to below for over a decade, like 5 head coaches, team adversity inside, slow starts, lack of emotion, miami distractions.

Considering half the teams still do it, I. Thinks it's relevant, I believe you can win without doing it, I'm just thinking about what's best for this franchise.

11. Eop05

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    I certainly see a pattern of mediocrity. That's evident. But I won't attribute that to the location of the training camp.

IMO this is a classic case of correlation does not imply causation.

And the NJ/NYC area is the epitome of distraction, yet the Giants won the superbowl on their first try having training camp there.

toto likes this.
  12. scotty_irnbru

scotty_irnbru Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Dundee, Scotland
    I think this is like your stadium debate. I don't think you could really find evidence one way or another. You improve the team by scouting better college players, drafting well and coaching well. Not moving to Ocala and bringing the fans closer to the pitch.

13. scotty_irnbru

scotty_irnbru Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Dundee, Scotland
    Just listened to Dave dameshek football podcast with Michael Robinson. He was talking about training camp, he was saying the worst thing about training camp is being away from his family. He said he'd asked Pete Carroll if the vets could stay at home more.

toto likes this.
  14. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    There is no intent to imply this is the answer, I'm simply talking about the pros and cons of the topic, my opinion, with Miami's culture and distractions in mind..just from a football perspective.

15. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Nothing to do with the stadium debate.

Of course its about finding a hi level talent evaluator..always has always will be.

16. muskrat21

muskrat21 Well-Known Member

May 11, 2014
    you do know that training camp isn't in miami right? it's in Davie. you do know that SLS isn't in miami right? it's 15 miles out from miami. you are acting as if the dolphins have training camp right next to a strip club, and night club.

also, idk what slow start you are talking about. last season was 3-0. that's such a slow start...

toto likes this.
  17. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami- Davie is not comparable to what I'm referring to, for example what the saints are doing this year..

I'm not blaming losses on our training camp facility..Just interested in the theories of changing it up.

18. muskrat21

May 11, 2014
    so going to a luxury resort is going to harden the team up and make them cold hard killers?

19. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii

I think the training location has had zero influence on the fact the team has been so mediocre over the past decade. In fact the Dolphins actually played their best ball last year early in the season, after training in South Florida.

Shula never had any trouble kicking *** in training camp and every single training camp was in South Florida. I just don't think Philbin has what it takes to be a quality head coach in the NFL and that has more to do with the play of this team the past two seasons than where they have their training camp.

I think they will finish this season with another mediocre record and hopefully that will be the last we will see of Philbin as the Dolphins HC. I have no doubt that if a quality HC is finally hired to take over this team, he will not be worried about where the training camp is located. All these players are suppose to be professionals and therefore they are responsible for getting the most out of training camp. I personally don't think that their mediocre record over the past decade has anything to do with training in South Florida. I think it has far more to do with the below average coaching and the record number of below average starters and backups this team has had over that period of time.

toto and jldolfan like this.
  20. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Hardened them up, maybe..if done right..lesser distractions for a team full of them, yes.

21. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    You lost me here.

22. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Your premise appears to be that getting them out of their comfort zone by having training camp in South Florida will somehow make this a better prepared team for the season. That may work with high school kids or some college players, but I don't see how this would be effective for players who make a living as professional football players.

They are expected to perform at a high level because they are paid a lot of money to do so. Moving the training camp to another location outside South Florida really makes no sense to me. If that is what it takes to get their attention during training camp. Perhaps we don't have the right players on this team to begin with. After being so mediocre for so long. I would think that the players would enter training camp with the attitude that they are tired of being jokes around the NFL and they would use training camp (in South Florida), to get ready to show they are ready to take this team to the next level.

23. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I agree in the perfect world all payers would enter camp with the proper team mindset, but there must be good reason that some good football men do it... The NFL owners want their camps to be close to home because it's optimally the best way to make money, when it comes to a team, or a coach, are you telling me you can't see any valid reasons as to how it could be an advantage?

24. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii

I go back to the fact that Shula never had to move the training camp out of South Florida and the team held three practices a day frequently. They also had a great record at home under Shula. They were especially tough to beat early in the season when it was extremely hot and humid in South Florida.

What I would like to see is the Dolphins coaching staff getting rid of the enclosed training facility during training camp. Every time there is a little rain or it is hot, they practice in this facility with the A/C on. That is why they have no advantage when they play teams from up north early in the season.

If the coaches want to get tough on the players during training camp. All they have to do is stop using this enclosed training facility and make the players practice in the same conditions they will face during the games they play in South Florida early in the season.

As far as you last question is concerned. No, I see absolutely no advantage to moving the training camp outside South Florida.

25. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I see advantages but its a futile conversation..The facility has been built.

26. muskrat21

May 11, 2014
    i don't see how staying in a luxury resort is going to accomplish what you want to see. maybe you should go back to the drawing board.

27. Eop05

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    The thing is, our defense has come out pretty ferocious and has been pretty consistent to start the season in the past decade.

...because we've had decent defensive coaching and good personnel.

Our offense, OTOH, sucks. And that's because a combination of sub-par coaching, personnel, and quarterback.

I understand trying to find a common denominator when evaluating the Dolphins consistent mediocrity being that we've had multiple coaches, multiple turnovers of personnel, multiple QBs, etc. But I don't think this is it.

28. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Was Miami any different 40 years ago? Obviously it's a different time and a different game.

29. JOHN_M

JOHN_M New Member

May 19, 2014
    I think they should hold training camp in the Philippines! On a deserted island!

SENT FROM MY LG G-FLEX ON THE NOW NETWORK FROM SPRINT!

30. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

With the way last year's line played, they SHOULD be with Gilligan.