1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NBA considering modifying its draft lottery process to discourage tanking

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by NaboCane, Jul 17, 2014.

1. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-b...ying-its-draft-lottery-process-205828311.html

They don't get it. Want to eliminate tanking altogether? Make "lottery" teams pick in the very last slots of each round.

First pick should go to the first-ousted team in the first round of the playoffs; go in order from there, until the league champion picks right before the non-playoff team with the BEST record, and then down in inverse order to the last pick for the non-playoff team with the worst record.

Instantly, the tanking problem is solved. Do the same in the NFL.

You're welcome.

2. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    That would fix tanking, but wouldn't be best for basketball. Many small market teams would probably have to fold because they would never get better. I'd rather see tanking than zero parity.

3. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Take away contract guarantees. That is why you can't tank in the NFL. Players have to play their best to make sure they can still find work.

4. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I don't know that that would fix it either. It's not the players that tank, it's the organizations.

5. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    That is nuts. Smaller market teams need the draft, they can't compete in free agency. So you are going to build a handful of superteams and then have Globetrotters Vs Generals most nights? Thats frankly a stupid idea.

Mainge and Stitches like this.
  6. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Nabo you realize you'd be encouraging playoff tanking by teams with no chance at a finals. That is worse.

7. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Im not sure what all the talk of tanking is anyways, the worst team isn't guaranteed anything. The bucks and 6ers tanked and didn't get the #1 overall pick. And what happens to a team that has a big payroll and isn't tanking but has 2 or 3 big injuries? They deserve a late pick? Tanking is not a huge issue in the league, the draft needs to be fixed in a way that you are simply not eligible for the #1 overall pick two years in a row or 2 out of three years (cough Cleveland) because that is unfair but there isn't a good way to punish bad teams that doesn't hurt fan bases who have nothing to do with the losing. Owners won't back any plans that don't give them opportunities to improve via the draft.

8. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    If the team is not good enough to win, how is it tanking?

9. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    I thought they where already doing something to eliminate tanking; giving Cleveland the first overall every year

NaboCane and MikeHoncho like this.