1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gus Malzahn opinion as to where the league is going.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by djphinfan, Jul 14, 2014.

1. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    "You can look at the NFL and the success of chip Kelly, I just think it's where the game is going"

He was asked about his spread read option offense with a fast tempo..

If some want to argue with me about whether it's a fad or not, (which I've debated since the wildcat), Im done with that debate, take it up with Gus.

It relates to the dolphins because hopefully with the success of what chip Kelly did,basically with a rookie Qb,it rubbed off in Lazor, I don't think kelly would of hired Lazor if their philosophies were not on the same page..

I do think that the offense will bring out the best in our Qb, we've seen stats that have shown Nick foles rolling out about twice as much as Ryan and that's just wrong on many levels..

I have a question for some, about what percentage would you guess that Sherman had Ryan run what is considered a chip Kelly or Gus Malzahn style of spread offense?, or any version of a spread offense..I ask because it didn't seem like much and don't we all think that this style of offense would fit our qbs skillset?

It takes guts to be different, ChipKelly did it, and was extremely successful with his philosophy and his right hand man was Lazor..I'm good with that, and I'm good with taking this leap to see what this Qb can do in it.

2. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

Hey now...watch that optimism.

On the serious, I think our best offseason acquisitions were the coaches. I'm very hopeful they can all show improvement in their specific units, and if so, sky's the limit.

If we can get some fist-pumps from Philbin on some field goals, it'll all come together! :)

SICK likes this.
  3. phinswolverinesrockets

phinswolverinesrockets If he dies, he dies

Oct 31, 2013
    Houston
    The answer is less than 5 percent. Basic routes, no spacing, i don't remember any QB reads, very few routes for RBs, and no mismatches. The only thing that i saw from a Malzahn offense on the Phins was what is called ace/early 32 and ace/early 33. That is a shotgun handoff to the rb either looking at the 2 hole or the 3 hole (bounce if needed). Also the 36 and 37 stretch runs. The way the offensive line for the Phins was blocking those plays were wrong and that is why there were no holes. The offensive line was bunched up and didn't have the proper alignments/splits to even be successful in the first place (which is coaching's fault).

I also saw sometimes where we would run all hitches, which is called 'Indiana' in the Malzahn offense. That's just a base playcall. That's pretty much it. The base call should be used sparingly. Sherman ran that base play entirely too damn much with little or no variations. There can be many variations ran from it (example: Ace Left Indiana Y-Post, F-Wheel or Early Indiana X-Pogo, Z-Out, and about 28 more combinations just off that one base call).

Malzahn can't be associated with such mediocrity. There is a science to what he does. The concept is about having 30 base plays and each base play itself has 30 variations consisting of different routes and formation switches. So in reality, your players only need to know 30 plays and each formation (gives them little to think about when playing, which is what you want), but in reality, those 30 plays can have 30 variations which means 900 play call options (30 X 30). Of course, you're not going to call all 900 plays, but it's there if you need them for mismatches. See what i mean. This is what the new spread is all about.

Puka-head, Canad-phin, evz and 3 others like this.
  4. PhinFan1968

This.

Thank you for putting it to words...I had the same rough feeling but couldn't nail it down. This is where I expect the most improvement...fundamentals within the system from the new coaches. Young group with only 1 veteran, but if guided properly, they can at least be effective...we don't need 5 pro bowlers this early, just need, sound, properly infused fundamentals.

5. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Should have handed him the keys when we had the chance.

6. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Time for a nickname cause yours as is is to damn long..lol

Wolf sounds pretty good to me, hope you don't mind..and glad you became a member here.

Next question, how much variation was there between tannehill runnin the spread at a&m relative to what Sherman had him running as a dolphin.?

Do you like the skillset for a pure spread offense like this?, where do you think his strengths fit with what the spread requires?

I'd like for him to be physically quicker to execute his movements, he's lost a lot of baby fat since entering the league and has worked hard on his body so I expect some more physical quickness.

7. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I listened to his sec presser today, I think he wants to take on the NFL.

8. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I say we call him Rocketman.

9. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I don't know that the chance is much diminished- We're not in a honeymoon period with Philbin, and he's still available.

10. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    He probably would've turned Ross down like everyone else.

11. jdallen1222

jdallen1222 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Plantation, Fl
    Is there a link to follow?

12. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007

I just took a line from him at sec media day..

13. phinswolverinesrockets

Oct 31, 2013
    Houston
    Wolf is fine. PWR is what most call me in other forums. Also thanks on the compliment.

As for Mike Sherman's offense at Texas A&M compared to what he ran with the Phins, I'd he ran pretty much the exact same thing here except there was no QB designed runs. Sherman had only one winning season at Texas A&M (which sucks because Kevin Sumlin came in right after him and made them a national powerhouse).
    2008 - Sherman's offense was 64th in the nation
    2009 - offense was 19th in the nation (QB Jerrod Johnson had 3579 yds passing, 30 tds, 8 ints, and 145 rushes for 506 yds)
    2010 - offense was 35th in the nation (QBs combined for just over 3500 yds passing, 27 tds, 15 ints, and 130 rushes for about 220 yds)(team went 9-4)
    2011 - offense was 11th in the nation (Tannehill started and had 3744 yds passing, 29 tds, 15 ints, and 58 rushes for just over 300 yds)

They still ran mostly spread concepts, with some west coast mixed in.
    Here is a highlight tape of Sherman's QB for 3 years at Texas A&M, Jerrod Johnson. As you can just see from the playcalling, it looks damn near identical as to what he ran with the Phins. Notice a lot of basic routes...hitches, fades, outs, and posts. Alot of the times you'll see receivers in the same area (no spacing). There aren't many combination routes and a lot of the times, Jerrod had to make s**t up on the fly because the offensive concept was so basic. One thing that will probably upset you is that they did a ton of rollouts at A&M. Sherman hardly did any here in Miami, which is stupid because as you have pointed out many times, Tanny is best when rolling.

[video=youtube;w7VFdi_WhLY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7VFdi_WhLY[/video]

djphinfan likes this.
  14. phinswolverinesrockets

Oct 31, 2013
    Houston

lol...only in the NBA thread.

15. phinswolverinesrockets

Oct 31, 2013
    Houston
    Yes, i think we have the perfect personnel to run a Malzahn offense, which is why i get so frustrated when i have to sit here season after season and watch this team put up 17-20 points per game. It baffles me. Our players have been so misused. I honestly feel Malzahn could take Tanny to an elite level and our team to a championship. I think our franchise could return to dominance. That's what we all want, and for me it is really obvious who we need to hire and i don't care what it costs. I've been pushing for Malzahn for a long time to either coach Michigan or the Phins. Maybe one day they'll wake up before it's too late.

djphinfan likes this.
  16. PhinFan1968

OK so given all the discussion above...how does Malzahn have to do this year to be open to a quick move-up next year? Another SEC title? National Champs? 3rd or lower in the SEC?

No way of knowing of course...just a curiosity I have.

17. phinswolverinesrockets

Oct 31, 2013
    Houston
    I'd say a 10 win season and he could be gone.

That would make him 31-7 as a head coach at 2 schools who sucked before he took over (Arkansas St. and Auburn)
    As an offensive coordinator, his record is 53-16 (Arkansas, Tulsa, Auburn)
    Here is how his offenses have ranked since he became a college coach.
    2006 - 31st in the nation (Arkansas had the 65th ranked offense before Malzahn came) (went from 4-7 to 10-4)
    2007 - 6th in the nation (Tulsa had the 35th ranked offense before Malzahn came)
    2008 - 2nd in the nation
    2009 - 17th in the nation (Auburn had the 112th ranked offense before Malzahn came, lol)
    2010 - 7th in the nation (National Champs)
    2012 - 27th in the nation (1st year as a college Head Coach; took Arkansas St to a 10 win season and Sun Belt title)
    2013 - 12th in the nation (1st year as Head Coach of Auburn; made it to National Championship) (Auburn was 3-9 before he came)
    2014 - ????

Malzahn has never had a losing season on the college level even though he has taken over some horrible progams. I think he's proven enough.

18. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Specifically, why Ryan Tannehill to run a spread read option offense?

19. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    He just put it out there that he is a huge cowboy fan, and loves to watch them any chance he gets...

Lol, ole red in Dallas is toast..

Jerry jones is gonna get that dude, bastard, cause red should of been fired long ago.

20. scotty_irnbru

scotty_irnbru Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Dundee, Scotland
    Yeah that sucks, however I like Romo (I know I know, a tiny minority) and seeing him succeed would be a good thing. I'd still much rather our dude did it though.

21. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Tony Romos weaknesses are fixable, he just didn't think he had to put in the work over the years during the offseason..

And that eventually catches up in all kinds of ways, especially leadership...can't fake your way into being a leader.

22. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Seriously though I'm sure that ill interview will get back to Jerry, and If I was him, red better have a winning record at the halfway point, otherwise the word is coming from upstairs to play all rookie and young players..then fire Garrett.

23. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    CK is in the fetal position.

24. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    :confused1:

25. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    I don't know why, but I found this to be the funniest thing ever...both the initial statement and the reply.

ToddPhin and ckparrothead like this.
  26. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I said that because I know your fondness for Gus z, and the fact that he stated he's a huge cowboy fan and follows them as much as he can.

If we fail this year, were going to be looking for a coach, same with cowboys.

27. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Ah hell.

Damnit.

You're right. Fetal position engaged.

djphinfan likes this.
  28. PhinFan1968

And Dallas would have its 3rd dynasty.

29. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Meh, I would rather have Jim Harbaugh. He's a proven NFL coach and has gotten the most out of two QBs I view as highly overrated ...

30. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Tough call one or the other. Would love to see Harbaugh here though. I don't think I would like him much as a person but hell of a football coach.

31. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    I dunno. I'm pretty skeptical of the Kelly/Malzahn offenses spreading through the NFL and lasting as effective strategy. I mean, we're talking about one tremendously successful college coach who has had one good year in the pros. How many Chip Kelly-level coaches are out there? Will Kelly be good enough to counter the adjustments that NFL defenses are sure to make this year?

Funny thing is that yeah, the Phins will be the guinea pig here. Trying to run Chip-like offense without the Chip himself.

32. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I'm sooo good with Harbaugh, don't agree with you though in the qbs though.

33. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I've heard some very compassionate things from Harbaugh, it's what made me fall in live with him..his way of protecting his players.

34. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I'm going to make a tremendous generalization here so forgive me, Spacing, misdirection, and most importantly, making dumb athletes think before they display their talent, what's not to like.

35. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    If JP gets canned. And Rex Ryan gets canned. I would be open minded to bring Rex down to south florida. Maybe we keep Lazor around too if he shows promise. It's not like Rex tampers with the offense.

36. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I don't think Rex is going anywhere. He got an extension and he deserved it. I'm all for him, though much of the Miami fan base may disagree. And he may disagree too.

Having Jim Harbaugh, Rex Ryan and Bill Belichick all coaching in the same division...that would be something else. Then again right now you have Jim Harbaugh, Pete Carroll, Jeff Fisher and Bruce Arians all coaching in the same division which is pretty impressive.

37. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Man I knew Arians was a stud in the making..sometimes you just see leadership flashes in the personality that give you confidence..really has nothing to do with X's and 0's.

38. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    It wouldn't surprise me if the Cardinals sweep the Seahawks next year. They are built to defeat them.

39. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    They lost two very good defenders in Dansby and Washington, but that team is dangerous..

40. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii

I would love Harbaugh as the Dolphins HC. Unfortunately I just don't see Ross being able to entice a quality HC like Harbaugh or Malzahn to take the job. He has basically already shown that when it comes to going out and hiring the best candidates for the job, he is clueless as an NFL owner.

I figure Harbaugh will probably work out his differences with the 49er's and sign a new long term contract. If that fails, he will definitely have his pick of any job which is open at the time and I just don't see Ross being able to close the deal with him.

If Auburn has another great season, Malzahn will be another HC who will have multiple job opportunities as an NFL HC in 2015. Again, I just don't see Malzahn wanting to come to an organization which is run by basically an inept owner.

I have said all along that the problem with the Dolphin organization is Ross. Until he sells the team and a new owner comes in, who hopefully knows how to build a quality NFL franchise. We are doomed to the same BS we have had to put up with since Ross took over as majority owner after the 2008 season.