1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question: Sunday Ticket offers outside of Direct TV in 2014?

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by DrAstroZoom, Jul 2, 2014.

1. DrAstroZoom

DrAstroZoom Canary in a Coal Mine Luxury Box

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    Last year, pre-orders of Madden 25 thru Amazon came with Sunday Ticket mobile. Previously, you could get it on PS3. Anyone heard of alternate means of getting the package this year?

2. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    My assumption would be that you could still get it on the PS3, but I have DirecTV, so I don't really look into it elsewhere. If you do have DirecTV, you can watch it on your computer or tablet as well as your TV though. I did that when I was visiting my parents in another state, and the quality was passable.

3. DrAstroZoom

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    I've no intention of getting Direct TV.

4. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I love it. Great picture quality, awesome customer service (seriously, THE best of any company I've ever dealt with), and of course, the only way that I can watch Dolphins games.

5. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Concur with everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. DrAstroZoom

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    My wife, to me in an email this morning: "I signed us up for direct TV they should be contacting us in the next 24-72 hours to schedule our install."

Mrs. Z don't play when it comes to seeing the Dolphins.

7. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I should have the next two days off work, and plan to get a hold of DirecTV this weekend so I can get rid of Comcast for TV.

SICK and Unlucky 13 like this.
  8. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    If any of you guys get a Genie DVR let me know what you think. I can upgrade for only $3/month because of my current contract for the first TV. $6/month for the second. At this point, my wife and I have always been a 1-TV house, but we bought and installed a second last week that right now is just with a DVD player for my daughter. I'd like to eventually get TV on it too though, and the Genie (no wires) seems like the easiest way.

9. DrAstroZoom

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    Our startup package comes with Genie, although we only have one TV.

10. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    We've got one in each of the kids rooms, works fine, same DVR you can give them access to delete recorded programs, or don't. Can all 3 watch different programs at the same time. It's really cool.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  11. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Yeah, the Genie is a nice thing to have... as it shares the DVR space to other TV's that are connected. We upgraded to a Genie, we have three tv's... two of them now have the old HD DVR's, mine has the Genie. The only drawback is that if you are viewing something recorded that is accessed from another TV, when you fast forward thru the commercials, it's a little jittery. Not what you are used to if the DVR is connected to the TV you are viewing. But it's a minor detail.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  12. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Very cool. Thanks guys. The second TV will be used for my kids most of the time, and me watching sports the rest, so I think those issues are really minor.

13. gilv13

gilv13 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2009
    Grats on being able to get the ticket through DirectTV. I've had the ticket through PS3 and the difference between the 2 is night and day. Although it would be nice to have alternatives for people that don't ant cable.....

14. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Well, I can't get broadband, so its nice to have ONE thing left that I can get, lol.

15. UCFinfan86

UCFinfan86 Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    I'm in the same boat. I used the Madden offer last year, which worked out wonderful. The quality wasn't great, but it was better then nothing. I've been searching every few days to see if there is any word if they are doing that promotion again and I haven't came across anything yet.

I currently have ATT and don't really want to switch to Direct TV as its to expensive (maybe not the first year, but the 2nd year is, plus I believe you only get the ticket free for the first year).

I wish they offered the option of just buying the sunday ticket on your tablet/phone without having to get the TV service.

16. UCFinfan86

UCFinfan86 Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    Also, for the people that have Direct Tv, what do you do about internet?

That seems to be where this gets pricey. With ATT and Comcast you can bundle everything to get a decent price, but if you just go with internet through ATT or Comcast your looking at $40-$50 a month just for internet.

I pay $100 a month for internet and TV through ATT - Comes with pretty much every channel I want + Showtime. Only thing I don't get is HBO. I have 2 HD/DVR boxes

17. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Comcast, the local cable company, and Centurylink, the phone company, both refuse to bring broadband service to my house. Thus, I'm left with either dialup, or satalite. For the past 7 or 8 years, I've gone through Hughes Net satalite for internet, and upgraded to their "Gen 4" system last year, which they falsly market as broadband. Its not good, in any way, but its all I can get. I pay $60/month for it.

18. RevRick

RevRick Long Haired Leaping Gnome Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Thomasville, GA
    We have a local telephone co. here, and they have a monopoly on internet unless we got satcab. Did not look like a good deal from what I have discerned from those in my former church who had it. So, we are staying with Directv and hoping that we can find a real swinging deal for NFL ticket. My wife loves the 'Phins as much as I do, BUT - she hates paying $300+ for it at top rate. We shall see. We have 3 TVs and 2 DVRs and a genie now. I have about 72 hours of programming to try to catch up with - including 2001:A Space Odyssey, the bulk of The Universe, World at War, Catholicism, and as many Star Treks as I can squeeze onto it (or at least the one's worth watching) and a number of John Wayne films (including Ford's Calvary trilogy!) and the absolutely magnificent 'A Man for All Seasons!'

DrAstroZoom likes this.
  19. gilv13

gilv13 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2009
    Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried the NFL gamepass using a VPN route?

20. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    I just cancelled Sunday Ticket. They were throwing me lame promotions. $40 off, $80 off. They called my bluff...however, they fail to realize my team stinks right now, and my interest has gone way down.

Paul 13 likes this.
  21. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Can't understand the mindset, but to each their own. My interest is always the same (super high) 365 days a year, every year. 1-15, or best season in my time as a fan, the Fins don't take a backseat.

Rocky Raccoon and Killer Bees like this.
  22. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    I'm still pissed and disheartened by the last 2 weeks of the season. Some of the weakest, most impotent football I can remember.

I may come around, but they need to give me better pricing.

Paul 13 likes this.
  23. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I don't want to disrespect you or start a fight, but that mindset always makes me uncomfortable. I pay the posted price for everything. Asking for a discount or a special price just creeps me out to no end. Very little in life makes me more uncomfortable.

24. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Certainly, to each their own... I haven't made my annual call to DTV yet, but I will at some point here shortly. Was waiting to see what kind of deals everyone was getting. Looks like they are clamping down with the merger on the horizon and all. I mean you typically call every year and say, I'm thinking of cancelling my package (not Sunday Ticket, I mean the whole DTV package) and they usually come groveling to you. You are the customer, this is America, and the public has a right to demand a fair price on their products... now excuse me while I go fill up my gas tank at $4.50 a gallon here in So Cal... :shifty:

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  25. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    Made my annual call today and got ST regular for free.

Paul 13 likes this.
  26. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    Your opinion is fine. You're new to Dtv right? I have had the maxed out package and am about a $200 a month, tv only subscriber since 2002. So will I leverage that so I get better treatment than the $29.99 a month n00b? Absolutely.

Did I also have to think hard on my 4 season tickets that I've had for 13 seasons! Yes I did. Maybe it's that I have 6, 3, and 1 year old kids. Maybe work has be busy and stressed. Maybe it's because we have sucked for the better part of a decade and a half. But the fact is, I'm a Miami Dolphins fan since my early childhood...but for some reason, I just do not care as much about football and the small fortune I spend on it right now.

27. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    What'd you say? You were canceling DTV?

28. byroan

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    Nope. I said cancel service at the prompt and then confirmed I was talking to retention. I asked what kind of specials were being offered on ST and eventually ended up with a instant credit for it.

This was my second call. The first guy gave me the regular prices and I said what kind of specials are those? He said that's all they had. Lol

I've never paid full price for it. I got Max last year for half off but enough credits spread out my bill cover it.

Paul 13 likes this.
  29. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    I called back and got $100 off. I got it free last year. I'll have more leverage for next season when my contract is up.

byroan likes this.
  30. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    oh I got plenty of credit filled up... I think... :shifty:

yeah... I'll probably get the $100 off too :lol:

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  31. Killer Bees

Killer Bees Bringin' the Ruckus

Aug 14, 2011
    The NFL needs to take this ST monopoly away from directv and offer it to all cable providers. I live in FL so it's no problem for me but I hate how you are so limited on what football games you get to watch.

32. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Same with your first sentence in my post but: Why does it creep you out? They can afford to give a much better price than they give. Its like taking back a tiny bit of freedom from a major corporation.

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  33. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    No, we've had DirecTV for more than a decade, and this will be our 10th year with Sunday Ticket. Saban's first year in 2005 was my first living with my wife and I got her to sign up, lol. I've never once challenged them on anything except one year there was an ad frequently shown on TV commercials and in print that said that if you signed up by such and such an early date, you got the "Super Fan" package for free. Nowhere did it say for new subscribers only, but they tried to play that card and I balked and won.

But other than that, like everything else in life, I pay the posted price. Part of it is simply who I am, part of it was working Retail for 13 years - 10 as a manager - and having to deal with it on the other end every day. Just gets under my skin. No one is special, and no one, including me, deserves special pricing. Just my mindset.

34. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    Maybe that's the difference between us and our opinions. I've worked in business for 17 years. Everyone is special, and everything is negotiable.

35. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    What's really funny is your defense of the big business. Kings of small print, misleading sales and tactics, and dishonesty.

Take my advertised price of $119 monthly for the total premiere package. Oh well yeah it's $119... But then there is the monthly $10 hd fee, $10 dvr fee, $3 whole house dvr fee, $6 local sports tax, god knows what on other gov't tax, $6 per receiver fee, including a $6 primary receiver fee?

Anyone have a calculator? Now times it by 12 months. Poor directv... How will they go on? So yeah, when they are jamming me with backdoor, hidden fees, damn right I will leverage whatever I can to save whatever and wherever I can.

bigbry likes this.
  36. byroan

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    There's a difference in working retail and working for a company that will offer discounts to those who call and ask. I've worked retail as well.

37. bigbry

bigbry Huge Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Colorado
    Thanks for the reminder guys.

Just made the call, I'm paying $100 total for the Ticket.

Paul 13 likes this.
  38. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    And I've worked for big banks my entire life, been a customer for DTV since 2006. I've seen banks give a guy with $200,000.00 in his checking account $25.00 fee's back as a courtesy refund, and tell a single mom with a negative balance who made a mistake "Sorry, nothing we can do", because it's not good for business.

So if I am a great customer buying WWE ppvs, UFC ppvs, movie channels, and paying on time for almost a decade.....if I can call this billion dollar company and get a good price, so they can keep a great customer, it's good for business, and it's good for me. And I can watch the Dolphins give me hope and hang me with my own ***** by week 17.

Paul 13, bigbry and Sethdaddy8 like this.
  39. bigbry

bigbry Huge Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Colorado
    When they 1st offered Sunday Ticket it was $99. I was told then, that if I continued to buy it, it would remain the same price, "forever".

I think at the high it was $350....I think. Would you pay $350 for it today? Needless to say Ive paid higher then $99 thru the years. But no way I was going to pay $350.

If it wasn't for the push back on the price it would of continued to rise.

You can thank the NFL fan base for at least getting it into reasonable territory.

40. byroan

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    Here's some info.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...o-be-available-without-satellite-subscription

That $199.99 subscription would allow you to watch the Sunday Ticket apps on phones and computers. A $239.99 subscription would add access on gaming consoles. For $329.99, you could combine both services as well as get access to the Red Zone and the Fantasy Zone channels.

I went to the site and here's some more info.

NFLSUNDAYTICKET.TV service will begin Sunday, September 7, 2014 and is only available in limited areas to non-DIRECTV customers located in eligible ZIP codes/select properties. NFLSUNDAYTICKET.TV U only available to students enrolled in eligible universities. Blackout rules and other conditions apply.NFLSUNDAYTICKET.TV consists of all out-of-market NFL games (based on customer's device location) broadcast on FOX and CBS. However, games broadcast by your local FOX or CBS affiliate will not be available in NFLSUNDAYTICKET.TV. Games available via remote viewing based on device location.*Only one game may be accessed remotely at any given time.