1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interesting article at IGN about the shift in gaming from Japan to the West

Discussion in 'Gaming Forum' started by Unlucky 13, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/07/01/the-fall-and-rise-of-american-made-games

For me, growing up in the 80s and coming of age in the 90s, virtually every non-sports game I ever played was Japanese until I was in my 20s in the 2000s. I was a Nintendo kid with the NES and SNES, and was heavily influenced by the titles on those systems. I switched to the Playstation in the mid 90s, in large part because of FF7, and have been a Sony guy ever since.

I enjoy that good games can be made all over the world today. I love games like Skyrim, Assasins Creed, Mass Effect and various others that are made in North America, and games like Little Big Planet that are from Europe, but I do miss the days when Japan was cranking out AAA titles that appealed to me as well. These days, most from Japan seem to have a really narrow base thats just not my style.

Desides likes this.
  2. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I agree that gaming was better when Japanese companies were putting out AAA games. I don't know what happened to them, but somewhere around the transition from PS2/Xbox to PS3/360, they just sort of imploded. They've fallen behind technologically, and they seem to have lost all capacity for doing new things. They don't seem to make games that can easily be brought to US/EU markets, either; does anyone really care about Dynasty Warriors 9,000,000?

That said, I also think there's a stagnation in the US/EU gaming world as well. All games now are basically some combination of FPS, open world, third person, and violent. What if I don't want to play a game about shooting people? What are my options? Let's look at the all time highest rated Xbox 360 games per Metacritic: violent, violent, violent, kinda violent, kinda violent, kinda violent, violent, non-violent, kinda violent, obscenely violent... I guess there aren't many options!

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  3. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX

:yes:

4. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    ಡ_ಡ

5. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Dynasty Warriors 2 was my first PS2 game and I loved it. While I have not got every numerical edition since then, I have got roughly half I'd say.

6. daphins

daphins A-Style

Mar 22, 2008
    Never played them. Wish Square arnica would get their **** together. Favorite game of all time is FF7, loved FF9, 10, and Tactics too. RE was great back in the day, that was Japanese yeah?

Love all kinds of games, but I agree with OP. Japanese games have really fallen off overall for my taste.