1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clay's Top !00 play and Tanne discussion.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Sceeto, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-am/0ap2000000362990/Top-100-Plays-of-2013-No-S

I already posted a thread with all of Clay's best plays from last season, but just saw this play again on the Top 100 plays of 2013.

As for the Tanne discussion; S--t, after watching a season where our QB got sacked more than any other QB in the league, we now are going into this coming season with 5 new starters on the OL? S--T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! . Losing Pouncey is a killer. I guess we have to hope for a "blessing in disguise" type situation. Damn, I'm really reaching. :cry:

2. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    IMO the biggest key for pass pro will be improved coaching. The video pointed out a great example when it talked about Rivers and the Chargers. They pointed out that Rivers was sacked 49 times and then dropped to 30 sacks the following year when they started using the dump off to the back more. Such play calling helps the OL much more than just saying "we need to block better" and "get the ball out quicker". IMO if that's most of your solution then you're not being a very good coach. Fortunately there are signs that Lazor may be a better coach than that. We're hearing about Wallace being put in motion more often which is often used to get a free release and get him in space sooner in offenses that focus on horizontal stretching. We're also hearing that practice is featuring more read-option which slows down the pass rush (and run blitzes) even on the plays where it's not used. (If you use it every game and not just every three or four games). We'll see what happens when the real games start, but there are at least positive signs out there.

3. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Yes. Definitely. I agree and the bold part is something I wish they did more. You do have to truly hope the coaching and schemes, etc, can offset the deficiencies. Pouncey is a very tough loss, but lets hope someone steps up.

4. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    I couldn't stop laughing about the picture of Tannehill they chose for the background while they're speaking.

5. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I would have Tannehill running left and right bootlegs at least 4 times, two each half, you can do that because he's equally effective going both directions..Then I would run at least 5 read options a game, the I would design a a Qb run early in the game where the design of the play gets most defenders turning their back to Tannehill...

From the get, just let that front 7 know Hes not gonna sit back here like a lil lamb, and that sh&$ is on son..

6. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Yeah, I agree bro. I understand that they wanted to teach him to be a good pocket passer, but it's shocking that they didn't try it more often. Just about every time he did, it was successful and there were many times, you could see that if he tried, it would have worked. I expect they will do that more this season. I think they will give him that option and even encourage and coach it up more.

djphinfan likes this.
  7. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Fingers crossed Philbin doesn't resist Lazor's changes!

rafael likes this.
  8. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I was listening to ESPN radio today and Cowherd, while discussing a different subject, mentioned that an NFL DC had told him that he'd rather prepare for Peyton Manning than Colin Kaepernick. That wasn't a claim that CK is better, but rather the acknowledgment that CK provides some additional problems for a DC that can make that DC look foolish (paraphrasing). Having a run capable QB who's full skill set you don't use just makes it easier for the defense to defend against you. And, of course, makes it more difficult for your offense to execute.

djphinfan likes this.
  9. Pauly

Pauly Season Ticket Holder

Nov 29, 2007
    Seriously how could we be worse? On a rational level we've it makes sense to say that we've upgraded at 4 positions and downgraded at 1

And since Pouncey was involved in the Incognito/Martin mess, I'd say that while his individual play level wasn't bad his presence didn't help the rest of the OL function properly. Plus Pouncey is a prime candidate for getting himself suspended by the league with his refusal to acknowledge anything wrong happened in the whole Incognito/Martin mess, the many references to drug use during that scandal which make him a prime target for drug testing this year and his lack of maturity off the field. I'm not criticising Pouncey's level of play, just that I think that I really think that relying on Pouncey to be rock steady this season would have been a mistake.

10. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    The main reason I've been on a quest for the right dual threat Qb the past 5 years is because what I saw the wildcat do to defenders mindsets, basically cutting a percentage of their athleticism out of the play..I saw defenders, and still do, multiple defenders on one play, hesitating before reacting..if a formation alone can accomplish that, then it's my job as an evaluator to find the right signal caller who can execute to a certain degree, both the run and the pass..noone in the league does that more than Kap..he's going to be an elite football player in this league..