1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphin Defense..You must carry us!!!

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by djphinfan, Jun 30, 2014.

1. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    http://touch.sun-sentinel.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-80668348/

At this point, I'm way more confident in our defense to be the better unit, I like the talent, the depth, the age, the players who are having great offseasons, the literal strength of the team, I like the speed overall, 3 rd year in the system, 2nd for a few, no rookies starting..and the wildcard that is Dion Jordan..

Looking at the whole defense top to bottom, relative to last year, I'd bet on a better unit..

Now if we combine that with Ryan Tannehill being used correctly which means legs to, because with this oline, were gonna need those legs in every way,then we might have a chance to make a run, Miller and Moreno need to be successful, Clay needs to play at the level he played last year, Juice needs to be the real deal, and we need Rishard Matthews to elevate to another level, which he can..

I really think we have a good defense, I think Jamar will be a baller for us, Jenkins is ascending rapidly, Delmas is more talented than Clemons, Atlanta housewives better bounce back, Odrick Starks and Mitchell formulate a knifing d tackle rotation..I just don't see much downside here..were young, healthy, and experienced as a group.

Time to make a name for themselves.

Pandarilla likes this.
  2. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I am not looking for an offensive powerhouse, however the Dolphins could get their offense from horrible 19.8 points per game to a average 23.4 points per game, Miami has a great shot at the playoffs.

Addendum: 23.4 was the average last season!?!??!? I just depressed myself.

DPlus47 and ckparrothead like this.
  3. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I'd kill to see us hit 23.4/game. So damn depressing seeing so many games where we can't break 20 friggin points. pathetic.

4. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Well, whilst there is a lot of good about them, the D would have to get a lot better in certain areas to be able to carry this team. They need to get better and be more consistent stopping the run and this coming season, they will have their hands full in that department. You have to truly hope this move with Misi works out. They would also need to have the drive, character, talent...whatever, to step up when it really matters and not fold like someone making origami on crack.

5. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC

[​IMG]

We're gonna be just fine without Pouncey and five new starters on the line...

DPlus47 and Sceeto like this.
  6. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    F-----g hilarious dude!!

Pandarilla likes this.
  7. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    The 23.x was while Gibson was still in the lineup. We dropped to the 19.x after we lost him for the season. Should be able to produce 23+ ppg for an entire season this season under Lazor if the offense can progress, regardless of who is snapping the ball.

8. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I think the defense will continue to struggle at the line backing position and the secondary will not be as effective as it was in 2013. The DL will continue to to be the strength of the defense, as it has been for most of the past five years. I don't see this as a top ten defense, but more likely a middle of the pack defense in 2014.

The offense will only be as effective as the OL and Tannehill are in Lazor's new offense. I like the talent level more on offense than defense, but as I have stated numerous times, I don't see this team being anything but mediocre in 2014. I have felt all along that this team is still two solid drafts from being a legitimate playoff team.

9. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    The chances of this team becoming an offensive powerhouse with the OL in a complete reset...obviously kind of slim. Bill Lazor would be one hell of a magic man if he made that happen. Maybe he does have that kind of magic. If so I think we should make him the head coach (provided Harbaugh and Malzahn are unavailable).

DPlus47 and Bpk like this.
  10. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    Don't mention Malzahn. I can't bear even thinking of the disappointment of going with a retread when they likely flush the current FO, let alone how bad I'm going to feel when it actually happens.

ckparrothead likes this.
  11. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Concerns on D: #2 CB, DT's vs the run, Free Safety in coverage and will he lead the secondary as effectively as Clemons did (Delmas and Jones sounds like a recipe for disaster to me... two gambling, non-cerebral Strong Safety types back there), The LB Shuffle.

Pluses: Grimes, Wake (if both healthy)

Question Mark: Wil Dion Jordan be used well enough... or even enough?

Honestly I think the D plays slightly below last year's level. As CK said, with a full O-line shuffle AND a new offensive co-ordinator I don't expect to see the offense able to carry much load this season. I had hoped Moreno could be great at RB and carry the load, also letting the D rest more on the sidelines. But it sounds like he got his payday and fattened up, a la Dansby. So not sure we can rely on RB being a strength this year.

12. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I have 0 concerns believing that we will get better corner play out of the young stud Taylor, or Finnegan..come on, nolan sucks.

Linebacker shuffle worse?, replacing Ellerbe with a plant would be an upgrade..the guy was as stiff as Channing crowder on a running back in the flat..

I think Misi's game is meant for the inside..at the least better than Ellerbe.

We were 28th against the run...last year bk..lol..

Delmas, I don't know, haven't isolated his game, and Atlanta housewives better play a hell of a lot better, just because.

I worry about the offense like you but I would bet our defense will be better.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    If Philbin and Lazor can at least have the offense performing around league average or just a little below next season, I think we can be a playoff team. We are built similar to the way Seattle was in 2012 and Carolina was in 2013. The defense needs to carry this team, not the offense. The offense just needs to be good enough. That's on Philbin, Tannehill and Lazor.