1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Andre Gurode Calls Dolphins

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by HULKFish, Jun 25, 2014.

1. HULKFish

HULKFish Artist and Scribe

Apr 30, 2008
    Central FL
  2. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Called them couple days ago too, about a Oline job. What the hell, Hickey?

3. I would feel much better if they brought in a vet OG and Center this week. See the idea is that Hickey wants to see what we have after TC starts. But the problem with that is that by the time you see we don't have starting material it is too late to get another player up to speed by week 1.

Right now we don't have a starting OG on the right side. Brenner or Turner are the only real options, Shelly is just not able to pass block AT ALL. To be honest Shelly isn't even an option as a backup OG, he is a GL and short yardage extra blocker or nothing. So we need a starting center and a starting OG just to get 5 guys on the field. Waiting until we see how TC starts out is a horrible idea.

ASOT likes this.
  4. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    The Gurode thing is a joke.

They'll be looking at Fernando Velasco, who excelled at center in Tennessee before being mediocre in place of Maurkice Pouncey last year in Pittsburgh.

Given how much time there is before they reconvene for camp, I wouldn't be surprised if they just go ahead and sign Velasco now so he can begin familiarizing himself with the playbook. It doesn't mean they have to give him the job.

HULKFish, ssmiami and Zanno like this.
  5. Deerless Dice

Deerless Dice Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Did Velasco really excel as a Titan? I always felt their ground game suffered greatly when Kevin Mawae moved on and Velasco took over.

6. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    First off, Velasco didn't really take over for Mawae. Eugene Amano did. Velasco took over for Amano in 2012.

Maybe excelled was a strong word. He drew positive grades overall and didn't let up pressures in pass pro. PFF had him graded as the 11th best center that year.

ssmiami likes this.
  7. Deerless Dice

Oct 30, 2013
    Ah, that's right. I completely forgot about Amano. Velasco is coming off an Achilles injury, so that's not exactly a slam dunk.

8. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    @flasportsbuzz 22m Dolphins doing research on FA centers in case they want to add one.They told ex-All Pro Andre Gurode they're not bringing him for visit for now

HULKFish likes this.
  9. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Didn't know that. In that case they could be a bit screwed because the other options suck.

10. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    "Can you hear me now?"

Guess we don't know if that position (among others) can be fixed inhouse until the season starts.

11. Deerless Dice

Oct 30, 2013
    the good news is he had surgery to fix it back in early December, the bad news is is it can take 4 months to a year to full heal.

12. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    That's a tough one to come back from within a year.

CrunchTime likes this.
  13. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    How about Satele as a backup.He was not a fit for Parcells but perhaps he would be a better fit in this offense.I havent kept track of him so I dont know of any possible health issues.

14. HULKFish

Apr 30, 2008
    Central FL
    Well I guess there is always that chance that Brenner could grow as well.

15. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Some boys going to get some real chances.

16. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I think I would prefer Satele of all the guys on the market. He's a bit of a liability in some areas but that's what you'll get in free agency at this point, and he's a good replacement for Pounceys play in space.

17. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

If that's your opinion of Shelley Smith, I'd say it is much different than how the coaching staff views him. Forget being good enough to start, he isn't even good enough to be a backup guard? WOW!

18. toto

toto Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Vellmar, Germany
    Some guys excel the moment they are handed more responsibility. Some guys need to be named starter to reach their whole potential or at least see a chance to start.
    With a healthy Pouncey non of the guys (Brenner, Garner, Larsen) even had a small chance to start. But now with a different mind set who knows what one of those 3 is capable of doing. Maybe one of them just just grasps the opportunity, takes the job and runs with it.

We'll never know but maybe Charles Clay would have never had that breakout season with a healthy Keller.

One can only hope...

Fish13 likes this.
  19. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Considering Shelley Smith is only 27, there's a good chance the team doesn't think he's reached his ceiling. He won't even be 28 until 2015.

20. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    The Dolphins' search for a roster replacement for injured Mike Pouncey will extend beyond guard Daryn Colledge.
    A source said tonight that the Dolphins also have booked center Samson Satele for a workout on Monday.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...former-dolphin-samson-satele-for-workout.html

HULKFish and Silverphin like this.
  21. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    HULKFish and DOLPHAN1 like this.
  22. HULKFish

Apr 30, 2008
    Central FL
    That would definitely be a strange reunion. 2007 draft we LOADED up with Somoans (Satele, Soliai and Muaia), but in the end only Soliai stuck for a while. What if we bring someone in and they play better than Pouncey, and establish a solid core to the new line? Then what?

23. Deerless Dice

Oct 30, 2013
    If that happens, and I seriously doubt that it does, it's one of those good problems to have.

77FinFan and HULKFish like this.
  24. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    It's been a while since Satele has looked interesting on the field. Scraping the bottom of the barrel if you sign him. There are probably better in-house options. I'd rather take a look at Shelley Smith.

Toying with a guard like Daryn Colledge is probably an indication that someone (Benton?) is lobbying for Shelley Smith to take the spot. There's a reason he's taken snaps at center in every practice the media have witnessed. Someone likes him there and since Smith is in Miami in large part due to his relationship with Benton (who coached him previously in Houston), I don't think it's a stretch of the imagination that Benton is the reason Smith keeps taking snaps there.

HULKFish likes this.
  25. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    That means we don't have to put up with Pouncey's shenanigans and demands to be highest paid center in the league.

HULKFish likes this.