1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Most Significant Stat from 2013-2014

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Galant, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014
    Following on from the most significant/memorable play thread, here's another look at the 2013-2014 season.

Taken from that other thread:

Most significant stat for the Dolphins last year?

Sacks - 58. Team record.

But not for the reason you might think.

Yes, we can point to that as highlighting we the team lost. However, I'd rather do this with it:

Tannehill
    [TABLE="class: tablehead, width: 922"]
    [TR="class: stathead"]
    [TD="colspan: 2"]PASSING STATS[/TD]
    [TD="colspan: 12"] [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR="class: colhead"]
    [TD]SEASON[/TD]
    [TD="width: 8%"]TEAM[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]GP[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]CMP[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]ATT[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]CMP%[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]YDS[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]AVG[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]TD[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]LNG[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]INT[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]FUM[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]QBR[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]RAT[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR="class: oddrow"]
    [TD]2012[/TD]
    [TD]
    [/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]16[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]282[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]484[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]58.3[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]3,294[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]6.81[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]12[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]80[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]13[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]5[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]50.4[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]76.1[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR="class: evenrow"]
    [TD]2013[/TD]
    [TD]
    [/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]16[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]355[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]588[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]60.4[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]3,913[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]6.66[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]24[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]67[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]17[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]6[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]45.8[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]81.7[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

In 2013 we saw that record number of 58 sacks. Now, that's just one stat, so I don't want to get tunnel-vision over it. However, considering that the one person on the team who will, directly, feel the results of those sacks in Tannehill, I think it's significant that despite an increase in sacks from 37 (2012-2013) to 58, Tannehill managed to improve his passing stats.

Did he have better receivers? Yes. Did he have one more year's experience? Yes. Could we talk about more mitigating factors? Yes.

Bottom-line though, is that after everything is said and done, after peeling himself off the gridiron, Tannehill managed to improve when his protection almost dissolved. I look at that reality and while it might be a fluke I can't help but take note, especially alongside truths like the one DJ highlighted above, and think we might be in for seeing something really special.

That's why for me, that sack statistic is the most significant stat of the year. It's the black, ugly background which server to highlight glimmers of a diamond to be revealed.

Unlucky 13 and djphinfan like this.
  2. roy_miami

roy_miami Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2013
    A lot of us argued that the lack of weapons in 2012 might actually help Tannehill in a counter intuitive way, like a golfer that always playing to small greens then moving to a course with big greens is going to feel like heaven to him. The sack thing could have a similar effect, average time to pressure may feel like loads of time, the game should naturally slow down for him in his third year plus the better o-line should make it slow down even more.

If I'm able to believe the people that predict Tannehill is really good for this reason I think he's going to have some monstrous passing statistics this season.

3. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I do remember that conversation happening with some folks, it's pretty cool and hopeful to think about, throw him into fire so he can try and function with inadequate parts, which in turn allows him to get better because if you start out with nothing, and you manage and don't crumble, then the variables and talent improves, game should be easier right..

4. If only we could have improved the OL instead of taking a step backwards. The stat of 58 sacks seems like something we might see by week 14 this year, with the OL we will be fielding.