1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'​Defiance' Returns With Great Promise And, Uh, Several Handjobs

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by NaboCane, Jun 20, 2014.

1. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
  2. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    This is another show I have saved on my IMDB watchlist to keep me reminded about it.

3. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    I liked the show. Not the ending it had, but the show was good.

4. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    This show was a total let down for me. I came to hate it actually. The review from this article wasn't enough to win me back.

5. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Meh. the show had a lot of potential, but had zero depth to any of the characters or story. Usually, I anticipate sci-fi shows needing time to develop, but I couldn't watch the finale. If it improves through season 2, I'll go back and watch it later.

6. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    The farthest-reaching—and, frankly, the saddest in its triteness—effect that Joss Whedon's 'Firefly' has had on scifi after it is the inclination of lazy writers to set their universes in Western-style or frontier-style environments.

It was something that Whedon pulled off spectacularly well because he wrote it well and because his characters were real and fully-fleshed out, in a universe which was also made real and felt real.

From the first episode, this show has had dull, predictable, two-dimensional characters that are more caricature than human.

Another trite, yet overused scifi trope is the inheritance of the large-forehead/ridged-forehead trait in alien species from the many iterations of 'Star Trek.'

One thing we know about evolution and natural selection is that, in species which develop intelligence and verbal communication, no physical trait is "wasted" on decorative, superfluous ****. A larger forehead would only develop over millions of years to accommodate a larger brain; a ridged forehead is something which is retained only in non-intelligent species such as reptiles, as a decorative feature to attract mates in the absence of intellectual communication.

This show is full of the worst of the many scifi tropes and blunders in universe-building which plague bad writers.

You can't make great stories out of that.

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  7. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    However...

Captain James T. Kirk is live-tweeting 'Defiance' tonight.

The universe can go ahead and end right after that; the pinnacle of our existence shall have been achieved.

8. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    You know...you really are an elegant son of a *****.

9. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Liked the first season, and liked some of season 2's story lines, some better than others...

10. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    As for Nabo's point, what mankind cannot truly grasp is the effect such density earth has, when mankind eventually branches out, the lower gravitational pull will mean elongation of everything

To go poetic "the center cannot hold"

Sorry Lucky, many generations away for your pinga elongating