1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Hannibal' Is The Best TV Show That No One Is Watching

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by NaboCane, Jun 15, 2014.

1. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    http://www.businessinsider.com/why-...thing-and-watch-hannibal-2014-6#ixzz34jU1uwU7

[​IMG]

ToddPhin and Clark Kent like this.
  2. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I might have to watch this one of these days even though it's on basic network tv.

Clark Kent likes this.
  3. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Vulture TV Awards: The Year’s Best Drama Is 'Hannibal'

http://www.vulture.com/2014/06/vulture-tv-awards-best-drama-hannibal.html?mid=twitter_vulture

ToddPhin likes this.
  4. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Put it on a cable network and its the must see TV show, its on a basic network so everyone is apprehensive about it. Shame, hopefully it gets past next season. I'm glad the network is giving it a fair chance. Its as good as any show on TV or cable right now, period.

5. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    We live in a world of remakes. Remakes that never live up to the original. People are weary of those trappings. I think this is one reason why Hannibal has struggled to find a bigger audience. Hannibal is one of the few that defy those odds and have taken something unoriginal and remastered itself into something better than the original product. Anyone not watching this show is missing out.

NaboCane and ToddPhin like this.
  6. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    I hate to admit, I have the same snobbish sentiment.

ToddPhin likes this.
  7. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    hey, after years of producing sh*t, they brought it upon themselves Seth. I just don't trust them to bring me a quality product of substance instead of a mediocre one meant to appeal to the masses that can be watched any given week without needing to know the past.

8. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    You're right. I haven't watched a network tv show since NYPD Blue.

ToddPhin likes this.
  9. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Okay so I sucked it up and gave the show a try since Nabo, Clark, and Finfan have been so adamant about it..... and it's definitely been worth the price of admission so far.

Here's the skinny: it feels like you're watching something on AMC or FX, and if it had profanity sprinkled in, it would feel right at home on HBO b/c it has the feel of True Detective as it grabs you with a similar type of violence, brutality, darkness, and mature themes..... although, Hannibal aired before True Detective so it could be argued that TD's nature is reminiscent of Hannibal's, not the other way around. It's certainly not a show for the haphazard crowd who would rather channel surf than commit to a weekly event. Seems like it has to be tracked from start to finish as it unravels important and defining layers on a weekly basis. You pretty much know where the show is going but you don't really KNOW where it's going or how it'll take you there. Five episodes in so far, each one's subplot has been quite unique and entertaining in and of itself, like the first time you watched Seven, which I'm guessing had some influence on the show.

10. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    HOLY. F***ING. ****. Just finished the season 2 finale. F*** MY EYES OUT.
    stared expressionless in shock at the TV for a minute afterward. face frozen, mouth slightly open, just blinking. heart rate slightly elevated. Epically intense. Can't believe NBC gets away with this much violence, brutality, and gore on basic television, because it's R-rated and then some.

This show utterly chews up Silence of the Lamb, spits it out, and sh-ts all over it.... then persuades Red Dragon & Hannibal Rising to take the bloody fall for it while convincing Man Hunter to slit its own jugular just for the hell of it!!! THIS HANNIBAL IS THE MOTHERF***ING DEVIL, the most ruthless, brilliant, calculated, frightening sonofabich ever created. The f***ing boogeyman tells his kids stories about this Dr Lecter to get them to go to sleep.

Easily, EASILY in my top 3 all time shows with Breaking Bad & The Wire.... and I'm trying to figure out why NOT to put it #1. This makes Dexter look like a goddam after school special in every regard..... including season 1. Utterly flawless. If I ever develop Alzheimer's, this is what I'll be watching. Yes, it's that's good. So good that True Detective is shivering in the corner hoping to not become Hannibal's long pig tartar.

I feel bad for anyone not witnessing this masterpiece.

BTW, found this on the wiki page:
    damn, 2 more season before we even broach Buffalo Bill. Exciting. I'm guessing next year or thereafter will be about the Tooth Fairy?

11. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Ftfy

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 4

Colorado Dolfan likes this.
  12. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Didn't I tell you? "Masterpiece" is a good way to describe this iteration of the Lecter universe.

ToddPhin likes this.
  13. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    yup you did, which is why I gave it a shot. :knucks:
    You know a show is great when AMC, FX, and everyone else is hoping NBC will drop it so that they can swoop in and pick it up.
    Total agree. They really did create a Lecter universe didn't they. It wasn't until the show that I gained enough respect for the type of creative brilliance that the original writer Thomas Harris truly is. Between Harris's foundation for Hannibal and the way Bryan Fuller took it and ran with it... it's... it's just beautiful. There's so much depth to the show, layers upon layers, and normally that might lead to some chaos or confusion, but it all comes together harmoniously with no hard edges, no dangling loose ends, and no wasted space.

I wanna know what happens in season 3.... but at the same time I don't want anything given away in advance.

So do you think Hannibal and Badelia booked their flight together like Bryan Fuller is intimating, or do you think there'll be a twist revealing Badelia was on her way out of the country only to receive a surprise neighbor on the flight?

NaboCane likes this.
  14. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    wait, which meaning of Ftfy?

15. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    I think H and B were in on the whole thing together the whole time. She has eaten at his table, knowing full well who he is and what she was being served. I think they are kindred spirits, if not in murder then at least in mischief. Plus, he holds something very real over her, which is her complicity in the murder (and subsequent prandial disposal) of her patient who threatened her.

If anyone has read 'Hannibal,' you are aware of the parallel between that ending and the plane scene in the TV show, apart from key players.

16. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    How 'bout the unspoken stuff, the f***ing cast? Does it get any better?

Laurence Fishburne, Eddie Izzard, and Gillian Anderson for starters.
    Hugh Dancy playing Will Graham puts Edward Norton's portrayal to shame.... to. shame.

Oh yeah, and Mads Mikkelsen playing Hannibal. This is how I equate the two Dr Lecters: Mikkelsen is like Heath Ledger's Joker from TDK, while Anthony Hopkins' version now seems more like Nicholson's Joker from Batman. Hopkins' Hannibal was evil in kind of a fun, playful, overdramatic way, and to me it introduced a sense of him being as crazy as he was brilliant. He presented an air of unpredictability due to mental instability which I felt takes away from his overall level of ruthlessness b/c I as the viewer attribute some of his persona to his mental state rather than free will. He's more animalistic, where you're afraid to be in the same room with him simply b/c you don't know if he'll be able to refrain from ripping your face off due to lack of self control.

Mikkelsen's Lecter on the other hand is incredibly refined, exotic, composed, professional, and fully cognizant of everything and all his actions..... and the reason you don't wanna be alone in a room with this Dr Lecter isn't b/c you're scared of him not being able to control himself; it's b/c you're afraid he's already devised a way to kill you a week ago that's set up for this very encounter, and he'd bleed you out for no other reason than to see if your psychological state during your last few moments matches up with his expectations. This Hannibal is as serious as a heart attack. He'll torture, kill, or psychologically rape you in the name of psychology, as a form self-entertainment, or as an emulation of god's cruelty and randomness. Every bit of his ruthlessness seems attributed to free will rather than being credited to a whacked out mental state, and it makes Mikkelsen's Hannibal one scary sonofabich. Mikkelsen's accent is a great touch as well.

Then there was a grossness about Hopkins' cannibalism, like he was suffering from some sort of affliction.... whereas Mikkelsen's etiquette and ceremonial nature to his people-eating comes across as refined as his character.

finfansince72 and NaboCane like this.
  17. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    wait, then why did Hannibal show up at her house in his plastic suit?.... and why was she already outta Dodge when he got there? Regarding her murdered patient, wasn't she granted immunity from that during her sit down at the FBI?

18. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    That's a wild card for me. One possibility is that he became aware of her "cooperation" with the FBI and decided to hedge his bets by eliminating her in case it was real; then, she assured him it was part of her "design," as Will would say, and gained his trust again.

ToddPhin likes this.
  19. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    It's quite the feat, when yu think about the superb cast of SotL, to realize that this cast is even better.

Hopkins' Hannibal seems to be all id; impulsive, and more dangerous in the moment. He's capable of calculated thought, as evidenced by his escape from the isolation cell in Tennessee.

Mikkelsen's Hannibal is more calculated, less impulsive. The genius of this show is that it took that id from the character as portrayed in the movie and transferred it to Eddie Izzard's character; it's Izzard who attacks the nurse, as opposed to Hopkins in the film, thereby taking that element out of the equation for this Hannibal and allowing him to remain more "rational."

ToddPhin likes this.
  20. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Except the role of Jack Crawford. Fishburne's Crawford is reckless and careless, an overt bully, and far too guided by his feelings. In the book 'Red Dragon', Jack's wife is dying but no one around him even knows it because he remains so stoic; truer portrayed by Scott Glenn's introverted, intellectual take than Fishburne's somewhat manic one.

ToddPhin likes this.
  21. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    gotta agree with you on this one........ per usual.

You know what I've been drinking lately that I think's an outstanding value for what it is? Lagunitas Undercover Ale. I get it for $1.80 a bottle so I'm guessing a 6 pack is pretty reasonable. Anyways, it's an American Strong Ale. 9.7%. 66.6 IBU. Drinks like 6.5%. Great beer if you're in the mood for a DIPA that drinks like an IPA with a malty sweetness backbone to it. These f***ers sneak up on you with how easy they are to drink. Had 5 yesterday in just a few hours and got myself smashed. I'd challenge anyone here to finish a 6 pack within 3 hours. lol

NaboCane likes this.
  22. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    I'm rewatching from S1E1...again. I never tire of this, and I get details I missed before every time I watch again.

And I'll watch it through again before S3 airs next year. This **** is THAT good.

ToddPhin likes this.
  23. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I'll definitely rewatch it next year before S3 as well.
    The great part is the show isn't remotely close to being burnt out. Gotten 2 years out of it so far with next to no filler space used and still aren't even into the movie stuff yet.

24. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    I like the parallel between the Joker and Hannibal, its true. I like all versions of the Joker but Ledgers was something new and somehow better. I did like Nicholson a lot though, and I liked Hopkins Hannibal obviously. Mikkelson is the definitive Hannibal, the character is just perfect, the accent, everything down to the wardrobe. The fight scenes with him are great as well, its kind of amazing how he turns from a composed, refined psychologist to a brutal, hand to hand fight in a heartbeat. Just a great character. Hopefully this show runs its course.

NaboCane and ToddPhin like this.
  25. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Yup. I love the way they build Hannibal up and bring to life something that shouldn't be human. Just an unparalleled job of believably creating a super villain right before our eyes. They give him the nose of a blood hound and the mind of a super computer, and then round him out by making him an ex surgeon, a gourmet chef, wine expert, musician, an apparent black belt in something, and whatever else he does in his part time that he's more gifted at than anyone else on the planet who does it full time. It's as great a job as the BBC did bringing Benedict Cumberbatch's near superhero-like Sherlock Holmes to life.

I love the fight scenes and physical encounters b/c to me this Hannibal lends the impression that he doesn't enjoy confrontation b/c he deplores having his culture & refinement compromised, so when he does get pushed that far or senses his hair and clothes are about to get messed up, he gives off this agitated, sinister expression like you just pissed in his cheerios and are about to get royally f***ed up for it.

NaboCane likes this.
  26. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    NBC on the Struggle to Get a Mainstream Audience for Hannibal

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/07...ibal?utm_campaign=fbposts&utm_source=facebook

27. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Laurence Fishburne will be back for Hannibal’s third season

http://www.avclub.com/article/laure...lMarketing&utm_campaign=LinkPreview:1:Default

ToddPhin likes this.
  28. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Hannibal @ Comic-Con: A Huge Return, Much Gillian Anderson and (Hopefully) Clarice Fe

SPOILERS ABOUND.

http://tvline.com/2014/07/24/hannibal-comic-con-2014-season-3-spoilers/

And Fuller talked about a possible S4:

29. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    BTW; Raul Esparza, who plays Chilton? Cuban-American. We're everywhere, like cockroaches.

30. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Hey, guess what other show Fishburn's wife also plays on? -Suits.
    that's not like a suggestive hint or anything BTW. :shifty:

NaboCane likes this.
  31. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    http://www.nerdist.com/2014/07/bryan-fuller-drops-hannibal-season-3-teases/

More from the CominCon panel:

Florence it is.

As to influences:
    I knew there was some Kubrick in there somewhere.

32. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Two Cubans on the show. Cockroaches, I'm telling you.

33. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    don't have to tell me twice, I lived in Coconut Grove for a year. :lol:
    Compared to English cards in the local Hallmark store, Steve Martin's prize shelf on The Jerk had more options. LOL

[video=youtube;aUQkbXWwJhQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUQkbXWwJhQ[/video]

Abigail Spencer BTW..... yumyum dim sum.
    [​IMG]

NaboCane likes this.
  34. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Oh, she played the babe teacher in 'Mad Men.'

35. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    The cast of 'Hannibal' | interview at ComicCon

[video=youtube;kjdmZ0ItBA0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjdmZ0ItBA0&feature=youtu.be[/video]

HILARIOUS. And informative.

French-Canadian hottie Caroline Dhavernas is pure sex.

36. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Hope she's not the one on the right.

37. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    [video=youtube;zUPq5JyeTWk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUPq5JyeTWk&feature=em-subs_digest[/video]

Blooper reel!