1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WWDC June 2nd

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by finyank13, May 28, 2014.

1. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Not sure if it goes here, but if it doesn't my bad.

Anyway really interested to see what ideas they have to offer. I was reading about iOS8 is going to be more health conscience? Also about the smart house? because creating ways to turn things on and off in your house via your phone.....

Des what do you ya hear?

As well many leaks about iP6 coming out on September 19

http://news.yahoo.com/iphone-6-laun...yZDlnBHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkA1ZJUDQ0NF8x

2. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Moved this to Lounge since it's not really a gaming topic.

Apple will be streaming the keynote live, so this is probably a pretty important event from their perspective.

Can basically expect OS X 10.10 and iOS 8, with 10.10 getting an iOS 7-like redesign and iOS 8 getting new features now that its redesign is done.

There are rumors that Apple will announce some smart home automation stuff. We'll see.

finyank13 likes this.
  3. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    That's what I figured....

4. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    I assume ios8 will pretty much be ios7 with a few add ons like healthbook and improved maps. I hope there's an update w the MacBook Pro. I'm getting a new computer soon. Id like the air to get retina

5. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    iOS 8 will add new features and spruce up the interface redesign debuted in 7.

Apple generally doesn't do much with hardware. WWDC is a software development conference, it's not about hardware. Apple occasionally says "Oh, here's a revision of something," but hardware isn't the focus, so don't expect anything. Maybe a Mac Mini running Haswell. Maybe.

6. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Oh, wow. The keynote is tomorrow. I didn't even realize. Thought it was Tuesday.

I'm hoping for more free space on iCloud—5GB isn't enough these days. I'd also like to see Apple do something about crappy App Store search, and the horde of app clones out there.

7. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    You got 1 for 2 there......

8. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I got 0 for 2. Apple just made the paid storage on iCloud better, they didn't bring up the 5GB free floor, nor did they stop counting device backups against the 5 GB cap.

They also haven't really improved search, just added some curated search results. Not the same thing. Also no statement about app clones.

The iOS to OS X Handoff feature is incredible, though.

9. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Ok because I was going to say they tried to do something with the AppStore, how effective I am not so sure......the handoff is insane it really is....I need to buy an iMac or a Macbook....

Quick question, the Health feature is really interesting, especially teaming up with the Mayo Clinic. It looks very detailed and could be groundbreaking IF it is accurate. Historically things like this arent usually very accuarte with wearing say a simple monitoring bracelet.....

Love the house feature as well, surprised they didn't team up with NEST on that as isnt the CEO there the one who thought of the iPod? I believe Google bought them out no?

10. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Yes, Tony Fadell was a big part of the iPod's creation and design. Nest was bought a few months ago by Google, so Apple can't really team up with them. Though Nest is welcome to get their products certified for Apple compatibility.

11. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Storage is Apple's Achilles heel across the board.

One small example: I have 240GB of music in iTunes, plus 80GB of audiobooks. The largest-capacity iPod is still, what? 160GB? Pathetic. I want a device that I can take anywhere and have access to everything I own, with all my playlists. With the advent of SSDs and the corresponding price drops, you'd think that there are more people like me who want that sort of thing.

12. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    The iPod is not meant as an archive for your entire library. And with iTunes offering streaming without requiring you to have the song preloaded on the device, it's generally a non-issue.