1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DayZ

Discussion in 'Gaming Forum' started by Paul 13, May 20, 2014.

1. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    This is a PC only that is in alpha testing, released thru Steam last December 2013, and it's already sold over 2m copies. My PC's are old, and I'm not sure the game is worth me getting a new one just to play it, but I really enjoy watching the gameplay vids for some reason. I've linked Rad Brad's one below. It's kinda like watching a zombie movie. Although if you're on a server with lots of people, i suppose the resources don't spawn as often (that's what I gather from watching his vids). I guess when you die you lose everything?? (I'm on his 10th video clip, he has a crap load). Thought it might interest someone...:shifty:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DayZ_(video_game)

[video=youtube;NLI5AMY3Eik]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLI5AMY3Eik[/video]

2. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Yeah, when you die, you lose everything. And it's proof that basically people are complete jerks. Personally, I find ArmA 3 a better use of the engine, so I'm not a huge Day Z fan.

Also, relevant:

[video=youtube;z0g6ecGvlAk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0g6ecGvlAk[/video]

3. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    People are jerks :lol:. People are also awesome, one of my best sessions came from getting shot and knocked out. It's a long sorry but these guys spent like 45 minutes patching me back to life and then hunting a pack of bandits. It was a a great time.

Anyway, this game is great, but you will rage once you get killed after 6 hours of gathering.

4. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    Figured Tone and I can talk about the game here and not threadjack what you are playing one :lol:

Looks like they rolled back the loot system overnight.

5. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    I figured something was up. I found a downed helicopter SE of the Vybor mil base with no loot. I remembered reading that some of the heli crashes were persistent. To test the theory I server hopped a bit and found the downed helicopter at my location on ALL servers, and NONE had loot. Not sure exactly how they adjusted it, or rolled it back. What did they do?

PS. Yes, I server hop on occasion. Sue me! That is what I like about ArmA 3 epoch though, only dedicated hives so you can't do that. Had a base on one until Admin messed with the loot spawns which resulted in me and my mate having something like 11 lock boxes, which meant everyone did, so he wiped the server. Said F IT ever since.

6. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    From what I understand there is no "permanent" persistence. Meaning now there are regular servers who reset on regular hard resets every few hours and there are persistent servers. As for serve hopping, I dont do it often, but if I make my way all the way to NWA and its cleared out I definitely try again on a different server, not running back lol

On a side note, finally gassed up a chainsaw for the first time yesterday and it passed a field test. After stalking a group of 3 guys for about 20 mins I got the jump on them when they killed somebody else and I managed to drop 2 of them. If I didn't get greedy and pursued the 3d one propably could of gotten a gun of on the the ones I killed lol, but I decided to engage in a hot pursuit and got shot in the face lol

Also found few bear traps and laid them on the stairs and the entrance doors of police station in Elektro for the lulz

7. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    LOL. Awesome story man, you were a hero that day. Maybe you'll be the bandit tomorrow. That's what I like about DayZ. I server hop for the same reasons as you. You make it so far, and then what?

I have a crazy shake on my gun and binoculars, but it doesn't say I'm cold. I purposely run to warm up, but still the shakes. Do you know what's up?

8. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    A phantom break or a phantom cold. Make and apply a few splints (1stick + 1rag) just to make sue its not a phantom break, if that wont help make a fire (Combine 1rag and 1 stick to make a fire place, then add 7 sticks to it after it is on the ground, light by match) I've had that issue before, the fire or the splints should definitely take care of it.
    I also went on a interesting hike yesterday from Severograd to Novaya Petrovka to Lopatino, a big loop around NWA and I found untouched police stations on a full 50 man, found an AK. Didn't think they spawned in police stations. People literally dont go north of NWA lol

Tone_E likes this.
  9. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    Also, I don't know if you watch Twitch or follower any Streamers, but they are holding Survivor Gamez this Sunday. It's 16 groups of 2, mostly famous streamers and couple of regular folk who won qualifying Survivor Gamez, and it's set like hunger games, with limited loot spawns and what not and the map gets smaller over time, they force to get closer and closer to each. Another cool thing is that you can watch streamers from their perspective in first person, or you can watch the Official Stream and see it in a no-clip mode with commentators.
    Here's some highlights from the last one

[video=youtube;E3vUFKY3KRc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3vUFKY3KRc[/video]

Tone_E likes this.
  10. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    Perfect! Dropped my hatchet to clear up 3 inventory slots. FML. :P

11. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    Yeah i hate that a hatched takes up 3 spots, but I try to hold on if I have no other means of obtaining sticks, be it one of the axes, a machete or a hunting knife. Hunting knife is basically the better all around version of the hatchet because it also opens food with a lesser spill percentage while taking up only 2 slots. Keep in mind that you can also run around with things in hand while looking for storage space, albeit it's not overly practical.

12. Bruzer

Bruzer New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Idaho
    DayZ I have a lot of fun on I play with a buddy and I have had some pretty cool moments.

My favorite so far was I was being shot at by 2 guys in Zelengorsk in a panic almost dead I run and hide, and stay there for about 10 minutes hoping they didn't find me. Finally got my nerve back and came out not seeing the guys and knowing they left town and a bit frustrated they shot at me I decided to hunt them. Going to their last known location and looking around for anything that catches my eye. I see a farm not far away and my gut says that's the way they went I close in about 5 minutes later and I see someone in the barn. I hide in the woods and first guy starts running up the hill I pop him once he starts to bleed. Then sprints up the hill more and knowing he has to bandage he stops and I cap him. I don't move and stay there within 2-3 minutes buddy comes up to loot him I pop him and feel amazing for taking them out lol.