1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft

Discussion in 'Gaming Forum' started by Starry31, May 19, 2014.

1. Starry31

Starry31 Phins and Heels.

Dec 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    Didn't see a thread about this game so figured I'd start one. I had seen this game while it was in beta and seemed interesting but didn't mess with it, then a friend mentioned they were playing and figured it wouldn't hurt to try it. For those who don't know, Hearthstone is a free-to-play online collectible card game. One neat aspect for those who played WoW, the heroes and cards are based off entities in WoW. The first time a Bloodfen Raptor shrieked I couldn't help but imagine Wailing Caverns or think of the Barrens quest to get the silver back. I've only played a few days but really enjoyed it and could try to answer any questions if anyone has them. So far it seems to have a great balance in regards to time on matches, long enough for strategy but quick enough to be accessible and fun. You can buy cards with real money but there's nothing that money buys that you can't get for free, buying will just speed the process up. There is also a disenchanting and crafting element, though you will have to disenchant several cards to create an equivalent card.

Anyone else tried it or currently playing?

edit: Adding a video might help.

[video=youtube;XEXLe98bj8I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEXLe98bj8I[/video]

thePhins.com Members

Starry31 - Imbolc#1754
    Mainge - Mainge#1987
    Dol-Fan Dupree - DeathClock#1545
    DrAstroZoom - AstroZoom#1992
    Not So Fast - TheAscended#1950

Mainge and Dol-Fan Dupree like this.
  2. Not So Fast

Not So Fast Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Lake Worth, FL
    I've tried. I like the game, but I am pretty bad at building decks. I need to earn some more cards and really study them to make something awesome.

3. Starry31

Dec 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    I played a Hunter in WoW so my inclination was to start as a Hunter and I use lots of beasts, so far I've done ok but definitely lots of cards I would like to have that I don't. Right now I've been more focused on leveling each class to 10 for their cards and to get some experience with each class so I'm not learning on the job in Arena.

4. Mainge

Mainge Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    West Palm Beach
    I enjoy this game quite a bit. Not that good but I'm improving. Just finished a 10-3 arena run with a really good Druid deck. My battle.net name is Mainge#1987, feel free to add me.

5. Starry31

Dec 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    That's a really good run. I have had some decent success in casual and ranked but not very good either. I am learning though and having a good time with it, the collecting part will be something I'll probably get into as well. I did the free Arena run they give you like my second night playing and I had not played any of the classes so I did pretty bad. I have a little over 400 gold saved up and it's burning a hole in my pocket but I'm holding off until I get each hero to ten, that way I at least have some experience regardless of which hero I get in the arena.

I'm Imbolc#1754 if anyone wants to add me.

6. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Love the game.

DeathClock#1545

Starry31 likes this.
  7. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I am beyond horrible at this game.

8. Starry31

Dec 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    :lol: Fin D. There is definitely a lot of skill involved with strategy but a lot of random luck too, and then unlocking better cards and all that.

9. Mainge

Mar 23, 2008
    West Palm Beach
    Practice and understanding which cards and are good and why they're good will go a long way towards improving. I don't mind helping anyone that wants it. I'm not that great myself but I have improved a lot from where I started and have a decent understanding of how the game works.

10. DrAstroZoom

DrAstroZoom Canary in a Coal Mine Luxury Box

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    Hooked hard on this. Add me: AstroZoom

11. Mainge

Mar 23, 2008
    West Palm Beach
    You have to tell us the numbers after your username, Doc.

12. DrAstroZoom

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    Oops. I'll post when I get home.

13. DrAstroZoom

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    AstroZoom #1992

Mainge likes this.
  14. Starry31

Dec 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    My worst day yet, guess my matchmaking rating caught up to me but I'm learning.

15. Starry31

Dec 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    Well I've now gotten every hero to 10 and I like how each one is a little different. I like Hunter because it's what I've played the most, like the beast synergy, and it's my main from WoW so I have a soft spot for the class. I think I may have won the most games on the Druid, also did ok with the Priest. Priest is really interesting with all the buffs and heals, my games tend to be longer but it's satisfying when it all works out. I had one game where my hero was at 7 and his 30 but my persistence paid off and my big hitters did him in. I'm still not very good but I'm having fun. Opening card packs also brings me back to my childhood when I would open sports or Spider-Man cards with excitement and anticipation that something good was inside.

DrAstroZoom likes this.
  16. DrAstroZoom

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    I favor Mage and Priest, but I *always* favor Mage and Priest.

17. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    No matter what strategy I follow I lose. I've probably won 5 out of 30 games. I bring more minions the other guy has more tanks. I bring more tanks the other guy uses the "magic kill everyone on your board, steal your wallet, sleep with your wife, punch you in the dick then take a dump on your pillow" card.

I seriously don't think my brain is built for this game.

18. Mainge

Mar 23, 2008
    West Palm Beach
    What decks are you using?

19. Not So Fast

Dec 31, 2012
    Lake Worth, FL
    You are most likely getting bad matchups with people who have built some nice decks. You're going to do badly for a long while until you start getting card packs and building a proper deck.

20. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I had the worst match up two days ago. The guys deck was so much better than mine. I was not that close to death and I just gave up. No matter what I did, he was able to heal himself and draw a bunch of cards and kill my characters in every turn. It was crazy.

21. Starry31

Dec 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    What mode are you playing? I'm getting beat pretty bad in Arena (2 wins is my usual) but think it's because the competition is better there and I'm bad at building random decks. In casual and ranked I'm faring better. Have you beat all the AI on normal and then expert? You may have weaknesses with how you build your deck, getting bad matchups, or maybe like you said your brain isn't built for it. :lol: In AC3 I was bad at Fanorona, my brain just wasn't catching on but I did beat expert once after countless tries and a football's season worth of curses.

If you do want to get better there are lots of deck suggestions out there and opening packs will only improve your cards. I know Mainge is pretty good because it pops up his record when he finishes Arena :lol: (also beat me in about 5 seconds but shh) so he probably has decent advice.

It's funny how like music, certain RPG archetypes are for some and not for others. I have played enough games to try a lot of things but my two are always a Berserker or DPS Warrior type (medium armor, strong physical DPS, lots of weapons) and a Hunter (ranged with pets).

Fin D likes this.
  22. Not So Fast

Dec 31, 2012
    Lake Worth, FL
    Just opened a pack and got two epics and a rare. Very happy.

Dol-Fan Dupree and Mainge like this.
  23. Mainge

Mar 23, 2008
    West Palm Beach
    Which ones? And what's your battle.net tag?

24. Not So Fast

Dec 31, 2012
    Lake Worth, FL
    Tag: TheAscended#1950

The two epics: Bestial Wrath for the Hunter: +2 attack and immunity for a beast for 1 turn (1 mana)

Lay on Hands for the Paladin: Restore 8 Health, Draw 3 cards (8 mana)

Rare: Holy Fire for Priest: Deal 5 damage to enemy hero; restore 5 health to your hero (5 mana)

Mainge likes this.
  25. Starry31

Dec 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    Nice, I have a number of rares but just two epics so far(Cabal Priest and Patient Assassin). I did an Arena run yesterday and first match the guy had the Legend backs, and in a very close and long game I barely got the win, in part with a late use of Alexstrasza and some luck. Might not have played the guy who earned Legend but I was pumped, finished with 4 wins.

Can anyone who is on my friends list on battle.net see me on there? I added a friend and it cleared my friendlist except for the new person, read it was a bug but that was in February.

Mainge likes this.
  26. Mainge

Mar 23, 2008
    West Palm Beach
    Looks like you're not on mine. I sent another request

Starry31 likes this.
  27. Starry31

Dec 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    I ended up getting hacked and that's why my friend list was wiped, will try adding everyone again. I played WoW off and on from 2005-2010 and never had any issues, not real sure how it happened. I don't think I'll play WoW again but got my gear and 20k restored back just in case.

28. Not So Fast

Dec 31, 2012
    Lake Worth, FL
    ^That sucks. It's why I use the authenticator. Great way to protect yourself.

Opened up another card pack today and got a golden epic Sea Giant.

Starry31 likes this.
  29. Mainge

Mar 23, 2008
    West Palm Beach
    I'm stuck on rank 6. I work my way up to the brink of rank 5 and then slide all the way down to 7 or 8, every time. Then I get back up to 6 again.

Starry31 likes this.
  30. Starry31

Dec 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    Yeah, when I played I saw myself too smart for those (no smart phone or would've grabbed the app) and once I quit, then I get hacked. I don't guess the Heartbleed Bug would have caused it? I know battle.net wasn't affected but used same email/password for a lot of stuff, guess that's a stretch. Might look into an authenticator now, I used one with FFXIV.

Man my packs have been crap lately. Not that every deck needs rares and above but mine uses 5 commons and the rest are free cards. Hunter and Paladin are only two classes without a rare or better, and of course I play Hunter. There are a lot of cards I'd like to have but I open a pack a day and only disenchant multiples so it's going slow.

Ouch, are you missing some cards to push you past that or is it more bad matchups and just good players? I was at 15 and lost something like ten in a row yesterday, dropped to 19, won four or five in a row and climbed back a little, etc. Today I tried a new deck and got to 13; I stopped on a four-game winning streak because that seems like a good stopping point and it was my 30th win so no more gold. In my defense I haven't came close to my daily cap before and the weather messed up my plans (don't judge me). :lol:

31. Mainge

Mar 23, 2008
    West Palm Beach
    I only really have two viable decks in this meta. I really like my Hunter decks but it's just not viable with the amount of Miracle Rogues on ladder right now.

32. Starry31

Dec 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    Rank 18-15 isn't good and even there it seemed like it was mainly Warlock and Rogue, definitely frustrating watching a Rogue combo a million cards. What do you consider your primary classes?

33. Mainge

Mar 23, 2008
    West Palm Beach
    Probably Warlock. Card draw as a hero power is insane and kind of broken. I alternate between Zoo and Handlock.

34. Mainge

Mar 23, 2008
    West Palm Beach
    Finally broke into the top 5

Starry31 likes this.
  35. Starry31

Dec 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    Grats man. On reddit there was discussion that there needed to be a reward for other ranks since after 20 there's nothing until Legend. There's competition, credit for 3 win quest, and experience but no reason outside of that to go past 20 unless you can hit Legend. I don't think there has to be a reward but would be nice, either a small amount of gold at the end of the season increasing with your rank. That or maybe 20-16 gets a random common card, 15-11 rare, 10-6 epic, 5-1 legendary. That's a small reward but enough to encourage more rank play.

My daily Arena run got me 4 wins and 70g/pack so saved 20g. I accidentally clicked twice and instead of a buzzard I picked a boar, ugh. I build Arena decks bad enough without needing to misclick. One game I was sitting on a Hyena and Hounds while he was putting out a Novice Engineer and Murloc Raiders/Tidehunters, just kept getting more excited and then boom! :lol: It's fun when things go according to plan.

36. Mainge

Mar 23, 2008
    West Palm Beach
    3 days to make Legend. I need some serious luck.

37. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Love the game. Also terrible at it.

Starry31 likes this.
  38. DrAstroZoom

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    Seriously: isn't that the sign of a great game?

39. Starry31

Dec 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    I added everyone's battle.net names to the OP, if you want your name taken off or added to the list just post here or PM me.

I was doing one Arena run a day so that every day I opened at least one pack, finally cracked and bought some packs. I got some good cards and was able to edit my Hunter deck some, plus a lot of dust to use later. Finally pushed past four wins in Arena and got to five, with one crazy game on the way there. I had a Knife Juggler and summoned four hounds so that's four knives (opponent had three minions on the board with low health), then killed one hound off and laid a snake trap down. On his turn the snake trap was activated and that was three more knife throws. It might not have been the best play but couldn't pass it up and it worked out. Of course, tomorrow I'll get a class I'm not good at and go 0-3.

40. Starry31

Dec 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    To continue here on my Hearthstone blog, I experimented with two different Hunter builds and really didn't do very well with them. Granted I have to practice with a deck more to be better and trying to learn a deck in ranked wasn't smart, but got frustrated and went back to my favorite deck. Since the switch I have went 15-3 and currently sit at rank 12 with a win streak so that was fun. Each loss was bracketed by win streaks so that helped climb from 19 to 12 fairly quickly. Of my losses, two were Mage and can't remember the third; Mages can just jump out on you so quick.

I never really thought I would get too excited about watching an e-sport but I was wrong. During my WoW days I did watch some competitive Arena and enjoyed it but I have seen people say they watch people play League of Legends more than they actually play it, and always viewed that as strange. This weekend though I watched a lot of the Dreamhack Hearthstone tournament and really liked it. So from my OP until now you can see the progression from trying a game out to addiction, in a few days I imagine friends and family will stage an intervention.

DrAstroZoom likes this.