1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Curiosity: Signing Draft Picks ?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Larryfinfan, May 16, 2014.

1. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

The trend seems to be changing in the NFL regarding rookie signings. It seems to now be very in vogue to sign these guys quickly. I realize the new CBA has pretty much taken the guess-work out of how much a guy can get on his rookie contract, but is there an advantage to having guys signed early ?? Obviously, before TC begins, but I see where a team or two has all of their guys signed and several have most of them signed ?? What is the difference, if any, in having the guys under contract ??

2. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    I think the Dolphins under Aponte pioneered the contracts with offset language and that could be one of the reasons for the delay in signing our draftees.Agents cant hold out for more money anymore so they try to earn their money by getting favorable conditions on their clients contracts.

Larryfinfan, Mexphin and DOLPHAN1 like this.
  3. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

At this point, I don't really characterize it as a 'delay' in signing guys. Traditionally, the signings are closer to start of TC, not just for us, but for most teams. I just don't know if there is some sort of advantage or disadvantage to signing these kids earlier...

4. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I see no reason not to get it done, but under this regime, we've been slower than most of the other teams to do so. The front office under Ireland really dug their heals in for offset language. Aponte may continue that or not, but nearly every other NFL team is signing rookies. Nothing from us yet.