1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sports Buzz : Fins add yet another QB>Tryouts added

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by CrunchTime, May 12, 2014.

1. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/

Thats the most QBs in camp that I can remember.Tanny ,Moore and Devlin are going to be feeling the heat.:yes:

2. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Chances are he is there just for the rookie minicamp

3. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    devlin has been put on notice with the jensen signing got a 10k signing bonus, barry jackson writes its a tryout though, no contract signed yet

Crosswarriors12 likes this.
  4. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii

I think all the QB's signed so far are nothing but summer camp fodder. I expect Tannehill, Moore, and Devlin to remain on the roster once the preseason is over. If the GM and coaches were really serious about adding a legitimate QB to compete for a roster spot, I doubt if they would have waited until after the draft to sign a rookie QB. They would have actually drafted a QB who would be considered a serious threat to Moore or Delvin.

5. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Yup means Jensen is someone they really wanted. Teams are capped for signing bonuses of UDFA's at just over $80k.

Pro-X and MrClean like this.
  6. Larry Little

Larry Little Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    I dunno... if Devlin is ready to move up to #2, and Jensen could be developed into a #3 (which I think both have a legit shot), I could see the Phins exploring Moore's trade value.

7. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Especially with all the time Devlin has been given.

8. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

He said Jensen is just on a tryout? Seems like an awfully big signing bonus for someone on a tryout.

first&goal likes this.
  9. MrClean

10. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I think Dupree is likely right. Chelf is probably there to be another arm in the rookie camp so that it's not just Devlin and Jensen.

11. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    1 down. Rodgers was cut.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk

12. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

TC fodder or potential backup to Devlin? Latter would be nice so we could explore picks for Moore, BUT personally, I prefer having Moore backing up Tanny in case we're contending and (god forbid) Tanny goes down but Moore keeps us winning long enough to get Tanny back and into the playoffs.

I'm putting a lot of stock into Lazor being a QB whisperer. :lol:

13. JMHPhin

JMHPhin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio
    I think Jensen sticks, devlin goes unless Moore is traded

14. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    no sorry, i meant jensen got a bunch of money for a UDFA, he is signed of course, thtat chelf dude is not signed yet and only on a tryout

15. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Thats definately a best case scenerio. I don't like Moore's "chuck it deep and pray" game, and he makes far to much for an ok backup. I don't have faith in Delvin either though.

16. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    hmm, think Devlin is liked more than ppl realize

Ducken likes this.
  17. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    Yeah, I'd agree. Devlin should be ready to be a back-up by now. If not they should probably move on.

18. MrClean

He doesn't always do that. His last start in 2011, vs the Jets, he directed that game winning drive that was like 18 plays or some such and averaged like 4 yds per attempt. Just dinked and ducked down the field. Hank Stram would have said matriculating the ball down the field. :)
    Then in 2012, the one game where he got extended playing time, he directed the team to a win. His only playing time last year can hardly be used against him IMO, as it was desperation time in an already lost cause. His only hope was going deep and hoping for a quick score, as I recall anyway.

first&goal and EverFin like this.
  19. EverFin

EverFin Active Member

Apr 23, 2014
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Didn't know Jensen much before but he looks promising on some Highlight videos (who doesn't). But I also got the feeling that on some throws the ball was a little bit longer in the air as I would like it. Neverthless I expect him to compete with devlin for one of the backup spots.

20. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    The Pats are thinking of trading Mallet simply because his rookie contract is running out .Could that be a situation Devlin is in ? Simply churn the QBs to keep a low cost on the 3rd string QB.

21. Phoenician Fan

Phoenician Fan Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2013
    It wouldn't surprise me if Brock Jensen turns out to be the best acquisition made this entire off season.

Yes, better in the long run than anyone from Brandon Albert to Jarvis Landry.

Crosswarriors12 and ckparrothead like this.
  22. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I've been told by someone at Jensen's agency that Brock was prevented from signing with the Dolphins on Monday by NFL rules regarding graduation, that he will be signing his contract when he arrives on Thursday.

This would explain why he was left off the official signings list furnished by the Dolphins despite a report by Barry Jackson that Miami gave him a $10k signing bonus. It also explains why there are articles with quotes from Brock about signing with the Dolphins and why he signed with them, where he talks about how Miami started calling him from the 5th round onwards telling him they were not going to draft a quarterback but they wanted him as an undrafted free agent. He said he made his decision to go with Miami early and didn't wait around to see what other offers come.

Ducken, MrClean and Zanno like this.
  23. inFINSible

inFINSible Bad ministrator

Nov 26, 2007
    I'm no evaluation expert but one thing stands out to me over and over again on the only Jensen highlight video I've seen. Yes, his receivers are wide open a lot but you rarely see one break stride. I know its a highlight video and all QBs look good in them but usually you can see a lot more with receivers having to adjust to the ball. This guy seems to hit those receivers exactly where they're going to be over and over again. But, what do I know...

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  24. MrClean

The entire ND State - Kansas St game from 2013 is somewhere on youtube I believe. That game can give you a good overall view of Jensen without it being a highlights video. He has very good vision, pocket presence, and a very quick release. Those are the traits that stood out to me anyway.
    Found it. Good chance to evaluate Jensen, and Billy "Bulldog" Turner both.

[video=youtube;ov_nuV6ZwHY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ov_nuV6ZwHY[/video]

gafinfan and inFINSible like this.
  25. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    uh...wtf...Jensen looks pretty awesome. Word is the Packers were very interested as well. Hope everything works out and he ends up here.

26. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I'll give the same advice I gave Omar when he came to me asking what he should watch with Brock Jensen.

1. His senior highlights video. Scoff as you like but one of the first things you should try and do is get an idea of what a guy's 'ceiling' is. Just how good is his best?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc2QhIQllSU

2. Watch his FCS Championship Game. I don't care what the level of competition was like, a championship setting is a different kind of setting. Maybe it was just the same ole same ole to him because he'd done it the two previous years but nonetheless, this is very relevant.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YPwDGinY6I

3. Watch his Kansas State game. This is for obvious reasons. Kansas State is a well coached football team, coached by a HIGHLY respected Bill Snyder. This is David vs. Goliath. He was outgunned on all sides in terms of his weapons going against their weapons. How did he handle that?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ov_nuV6ZwHY

ssmiami, Fin-Omenal, gafinfan and 2 others like this.