1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

monday morning gm

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Clark Kent, May 11, 2014.

1. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Was reading over the draft grade thread and thought this would be fun, albeit completely pointless.

Re-Do the Dolphins draft at every single pick they had. This includes the trades, even though you may disagree with them. You can pick any player (including the ones we really did select) or any player that came after our pick, not before. Example, You can't take Clowney at 19, he was obviously gone by then... But you could take Brandin Cooks at 19, since he was selected after 19. Also, you can't take a player Miami selected in real life and take them in the next round. Example, you can't JaWuan James with pick 63 (I assume some smartass would try it lol). You'll have to assume the player taken IRL was gone by the next pick. Going to do mine tomorrow. It's late and I need sleep.

The Template

[​IMG]

Da 'Fins likes this.
  2. Phoenician Fan

Phoenician Fan Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2013
    But I want to go back and not re-sign Grimes, and I don't want to sign Finnegan, and I want to sign two FA OG's, and I want to do everything different from what was done.

I wanted young,strong leaders like Alterraun Verner,Ross Cockrell and Jared Veldheer, and I didn't want to sign Delmas, and so on and so forth.

I hate this off season more than any before it. There was such potential to rebuild and start a new solid foundation for a future perennial playoff team and instead........the Dolphins give the rest of the NFL a clinic on how to make the most bad signings and waste the most draft picks possible in a two year period.

Sorry to not follow the guidelines for this thread but I am grieving as deeply as when someone loses their beloved pet.

It's like watching Old Yeller die.

It almost appears that something metaphysical is going on. Maybe Stephen Ross has brought a curse with him?

Probably more likely he is just a business man who really finds it funny that he can make a bunch of money and screw the Dolphins over at the same time while secretly rooting for the Jets.

I apologize again, it appears I have indeed become jaded and bitter. That's what .....one......playoff appearance in what seems like forever will do to fans who deal with reality and not blind homerism.

3. LSU1978

LSU1978 New Member

May 11, 2014
    Oak Grove, Louisiana
    Bury Old Yeller... It was sad enough the first time! Don't relive it! As far as jaded and bitter... Know it may be hard, but have faith, the dolphins are young and building in the right direction... LSU and the Saints were horrible for a very loooong time, but good things do come in time... First off the Pats are only as good as Brady carries them... The Jets have a promising D, but as long as Geno and Vick are there with no receivers (Decker is ok but elevated by Peyton, no qb there is a shadow of Peyton ) Buffalo is building but letting Byrd go and Manuel is no better than Geno... Great tailbacks and receivers but if you dont have the general (QB) to lead the troops? The Phins were an OLine and a productive RB away from contention.... Which the RB cant be productive without blocks... And maybe another solid receiver... But the QB, RB, WR all start at the OLine... If that doesnt gel and provide time or holes against the def.... Well everything else is moot.... The defense is young and promising, same can be said for parts of the offense... Moreno is a very good back barring injury which he is prone for... Bottom line is the offensive line, was James a reach or will he pan out? Draft was very good, was he a reach or a foundation? I think most everything else is there...

DPlus47 likes this.
  4. scotty_irnbru

scotty_irnbru Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Dundee, Scotland
    You hate this off-season more than any other? Sheesh. There is some dangerous paranoia in this post. I think fans kid themselves that teams can sign any player they want. It's not franchise mode. Is verner a scheme fit for coyle? Does verner prefer lovie smiths style? Does he look at the city of Miami and think nope? It's not as simple as saying we should have taken this guy.We were one win from the playoffs, you're acting like we've been 3 wins every season for the past ten. We aren't the raiders or jags or browns. We are better than that, if you can't see that then you aren't looking hard enough. We've picked up some good looking players, we've drafted some good looking players. This is the time of year for positivity. It's not homerism to say the future looks good. Look at individual positions. QB I'm happy with. Should hopefully step up again. The OL is greatly improved, no doubt. WR we've drafted a guy who looks like a catcher. We've got a difference maker in Wallace, we just need to use him like one. Backs and TEs don't look hideous. On defence our DL and DEs look as good as mostly anyone in the league. Not homerism, a genuine statement based on last years performance. We could maybe have improved our LBs but we've got Jenkins to actually play this year. Our DBs look alright. Grimes is one of the best in the game, we've got two CBs from last year who didn't play, see more of them hopefully. The future is brighter than you are thinking.

Claymore95 likes this.
  5. JamesyEsq

JamesyEsq Active Member

Jan 10, 2012
    England
    In real life i would have picked Manziel at 19 but i know thats seen as trolling on here, so i give to you the following...

19. James, Ja'Wuan

63. Landry, Jarvis

67. Mason, Tre

125. Yankey, David

155. McCarron, AJ

171. Tripp, Jordan

190. Jones, Christian

234. Skov, Shayne

Clark Kent likes this.
  6. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    wow, there's a whole lot of worthless in this thread. especially to the one who said he wouldn't want to resign Grimes.

7. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    I had a plan, and my team didn't follow it.

I give up on being a fan.

Mexphin, B.Sebo, GMJohnson and 10 others like this.
  8. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Lol.

If you follow that plan, your a loser of a fan.

Be a fan man, at least give your new blood one solid chance to prove themselves.

9. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Fix your sarcasm meter.

10. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    19. Brandin Cooks
    50. Troy Niklas
    67. Billy Turner [traded next year's 3rd rounder rather than this year's 4th to move up our #81 pick; get an extra 5th back in return]
    4. Dakota Dozier
    5. Caraun Reid
    5. Jordan Tripp
    6. Tajh Boyd
    7. Ben Gardner [he went a couple picks before us; I have him as top 5 interior nickel rusher so I would've made this happen]

**For as long as JaWuan James is still on the board, I'd be on the phone with every team in the 2nd round offering them a trade for our 2015 1st rounder. If that fails, I'd be on the phone with Eric Winston the moment JaWuan James is off the board. If it works, I'd end up with:

1. Brandin Cooks
    2. JaWuan James
    2. Troy Niklas
    3. Phillip Gaines
    4. Dakota Dozier
    5. Caraun Reid
    6. Tajh Boyd
    7. Ben Gardner

11. bigbry

bigbry Huge Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Colorado
    He went out to the garage to look for it, and since you had it last he may comeback a little upset.

DPlus47 likes this.
  12. Killer Bees

Killer Bees Bringin' the Ruckus

Aug 14, 2011
    Eric Winston is a washed up old man.

13. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Okay first off I want to say I love our draft and had no issues with it. If I were going to redo it I'd do it this way but this is only with the help of hindsight. During the draft I would have done exactly what we did.

19) J. James
    63) Jarvis Landry
    67) Christian Kirksey
    125) David Yankey
    155) Lamin Barrow
    171) Lache Seastrunk
    190) Daniel McCullers
    234) Seantrel Henderson

Clark Kent likes this.
  14. Pennington's Limp Arm

Pennington's Limp Arm Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    19. Darqueze Dennard CB- Thought Detroit would take him at 10. Our starting CB's aren't young and questions abound with Taylor and Davis.. So go with the elite talent at a skill position in round 1.

63. Morgan Moses OT - No way anyone could have known he would still be on the board here... which is what makes this exercise so unfair for Hickey. And by making different picks, I am not knocking Hickey

67. Andre Williams RB - Strong downhill runner we need. I think he could step right in and play a split role with Moreno. Good in pass pro and stronger than Mason, so I like Williams for the Phins.

125. David Yankey OG - Played against stronger competition than Turner, maybe doesn't have the upside of Turner, but a safer player I think.

155. John Urschel OG/C - Team Captain at Penn Sate, so not veering too far from Hickey's vision. Would rather throw an overkill of resources at the O line than at Wide receiver. Can also play some centre in the event pouncey runs into trouble. Baltimore knows O linemen too, so maybe I'm cheating a little here.

171. Jordan Tripp LB. - Like this pick

190. Blake Annen TE- Opposite of Lynch in that he has measurable, but is not polished. If he can add a little more size and put it all together, who knows. This is an upside pick.

234. Jeremy Gallon WR/KR -Goodbye Thigpen, time to improve that return game.

DPlus47, MrClean, jim1 and 1 other person like this.
  15. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    You misundestood... I was laughing with you and then said if you follow the plan that you were mocking in your post that's a loser type of fan..

16. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    you both didn't pick up with what I was saying, if you reread my post it will probably make sense, I got the sarcasm, that was the point of my response.

17. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Of course in the mains people would say that now. However if that was the real pick I know folks around here would be complaining about us pinning our RT hopes on a guy whose got a shoulder injury (which caused the drop). Dion part deux.

DPlus47 and MrClean like this.
  18. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    I still sat its your fault.

bigbry likes this.
  19. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    ??? He's 30, doesn't have injury issues, and finished 2013 with zero sacks allowed during the final 6 games. Chances are he outperforms most to all rookie right tackles.

20. VanDolPhan

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Pure zone blocking guy. Absolutely horrible outside of such. Was a horrible run blocker most of the season and nothing to write home about pass blocking. Still sits out there despite us having Houston's OL coach. Smells of being yet another Columbo/Clabo signing.

21. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Wonder what the deal is with him. Teams seem to avoid him until right before camp, and then sign him late, and he ends up starting. Does his role with the NFLPA keep teams away? Does he ask for too much money and then lowers his demands at the last minute? Maybe I am off on this but it seems like KC signed him late in 2012, and Arizona signed him late in 2013. Neither team tried to resign him in the initial stages of the subsequent free agency. Even though he played well all year for KC and the last half of the season for Zona. He was very outspoken about the classless negative fans cheering Matt Cassel's injury in 2012. Anyway, he doesn't seem washed up at all to me, but teams have been approaching him as a stopgap measure of late, not a extended term building block.

Da 'Fins and DPlus47 like this.
  22. MrClean

It's all academic now. After drafting JJ, we ain't likely to sign Winston. Had it come down to that though, I think he'd have been much better than Colombo or Clabo, and not signing him last year instead of Clabo makes me wonder what there is beneath the surface when it comes to him.

DPlus47 likes this.
  23. VanDolPhan

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Especially when our own OC at that time didn't fight for him either having worked with him prior.

77FinFan likes this.
  24. MrClean

This is well thought out and logical and I agree with your comments about Moses. Not a single one of us ever dreamed he'd fall to the early 3rd.

Pennington's Limp Arm likes this.
  25. MrClean

When we should have had interest last year, about the time we signed Clabo, we did not have any coach connection to Winston though. He seemed to fit our scheme better than Clabo would have in foresight, or did in hindsight.

26. VanDolPhan

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    *cough*MikeSherman*cough*

27. Killer Bees

Killer Bees Bringin' the Ruckus

Aug 14, 2011
    We have had so many opportunities in the past to sign this guy and we never do. He's past his prime, he's borderline serviceable at this point. We had to sure up the OL and it looks like we did this offseason, let's be happy to see RT on his feet this season.

28. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    1. Follow the rules. You can't make your own trades up. Pick a player at each draft position. No picking players Miami drafted IRL at a later pick. Not that complicated.

2. This is just for fun guys. As I said in the OP, it's pointless. I'm just curious who you would of taken at each pick. Might be fun to look back on in a few years. This isn't meant to bash Hickey, Philbin, The Dolphins organization, etc... It's not serious like like that.

19. Brandin Cooks, WR: Allen Robinson was my favorite WR in the draft. 19 was too high for him though. Sadly, 63 was too low. I decide to take cooks at 19. While I was not a fan of taking Tavon Austin last year at our 12th pick, Cooks is different in that he was arguably one of the BPA at 19. Dynamic, experienced, and fits Joe Philbin's system of playing the various WR positions and capable of running every route. Also, an explosive player to replace Mike Wallace when he's inevitably cut/traded next season.

63. Morgan Moses, T: Best tackle on the board.

67. Billy Turner, G/T: I really liked this pick. Don't see any reason to do it differently.

125. Caraun Ried, DT: Quick, agile, aggressive, smart. Would of liked to see him develop behind starks.

155. Jordan Tripp, LB: I liked this pick as well. Don't feel a need to change it for anyone else.

171. Lache Seastrunk, RB: Like Allen Robinson, this was another favorite of mine. I love the way he runs. I like the quickness, vision, and body control. I liked Shady coming out of Pitt and was hoping we would get a chance at a re-do. I would of drafted him in the 4th (real time), but knowing he goes in the 6th, I snatch him up with our 5th. Given his inexperience in other aspects of the position, a 5th round pick is perfect. 10x better of a prospect than Gilisee was at this time last year. Let him develop behind Miller and Moreno, and cut the other two scrubs.

190. Seantrel Henderson, T: So much to hate about his character. In round 6, why not take a shot on the kid? If it doesn't work out, goodbye. No real loss. Too much potential to ignore, especially with a team who is so desperate for offensive lineman.

234. Brandon Coleman, WR: A huge red-zone threat who catches touchdowns. Reminds me of two other guys I liked who did similar things. Joseph Fauria and Jimmy Graham. Oh, and he's a team captain, which our staff seems to love despite the irrelevance (see Richie Incognito).

29. Ludacris

Ludacris Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jan 8, 2008
    If I played GM and say I just didn't trade up or down and kept the original picks I probably would have gone

19 Jason Verrett CB
    50 Billy Turner OL
    81 Michael Schofield OL
    118 Brock Vereen S

30. finwin

finwin Active Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Jamestown, NC
    I look to leadership, OC, OL Coach and Head Coach to our failures last year. Sherman was too predictable god awful and ran an unbalanced offense. Miami passed the ball way too often, 4th most in the NFL, or 63% of their plays were passes and that put too much on Tannehill's shoulders. Get over the players and the draft. The NFL system is set up to align total team talent to be razor close. What stands out then is dedication to your teams game plan, confidence (buy in) to the play calling and play design, and execution of the plays called.

[TABLE="width: 372"]
    [TR]
    [TD]TEAM[/TD]
    [TD]Percentage of Passing Plays[/TD]
    [TD]Total Att[/TD]
    [TD]Pass Att[/TD]
    [TD]Rush Att[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Atlanta[/TD]
    [TD]67.24%[/TD]
    [TD]980[/TD]
    [TD]659[/TD]
    [TD]321[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Cleveland[/TD]
    [TD]66.18%[/TD]
    [TD]1029[/TD]
    [TD]681[/TD]
    [TD]348[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Dallas[/TD]
    [TD]63.56%[/TD]
    [TD]922[/TD]
    [TD]586[/TD]
    [TD]336[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Miami[/TD]
    [TD]62.99%[/TD]
    [TD]943[/TD]
    [TD]594[/TD]
    [TD]349[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]New Orleans[/TD]
    [TD]62.48%[/TD]
    [TD]1042[/TD]
    [TD]651[/TD]
    [TD]391[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Jacksonville[/TD]
    [TD]61.03%[/TD]
    [TD]970[/TD]
    [TD]592[/TD]
    [TD]378[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Houston[/TD]
    [TD]60.46%[/TD]
    [TD]1047[/TD]
    [TD]633[/TD]
    [TD]414[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]NY Giants[/TD]
    [TD]59.81%[/TD]
    [TD]948[/TD]
    [TD]567[/TD]
    [TD]381[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Pittsburgh[/TD]
    [TD]59.80%[/TD]
    [TD]980[/TD]
    [TD]586[/TD]
    [TD]394[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Denver[/TD]
    [TD]59.42%[/TD]
    [TD]1136[/TD]
    [TD]675[/TD]
    [TD]461[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Baltimore[/TD]
    [TD]59.40%[/TD]
    [TD]1042[/TD]
    [TD]619[/TD]
    [TD]423[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Chicago[/TD]
    [TD]58.90%[/TD]
    [TD]983[/TD]
    [TD]579[/TD]
    [TD]404[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Detroit[/TD]
    [TD]58.76%[/TD]
    [TD]1079[/TD]
    [TD]634[/TD]
    [TD]445[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Indianapolis[/TD]
    [TD]58.73%[/TD]
    [TD]991[/TD]
    [TD]582[/TD]
    [TD]409[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Arizona[/TD]
    [TD]57.63%[/TD]
    [TD]996[/TD]
    [TD]574[/TD]
    [TD]422[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Washington[/TD]
    [TD]57.42%[/TD]
    [TD]1064[/TD]
    [TD]611[/TD]
    [TD]453[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]New England[/TD]
    [TD]57.19%[/TD]
    [TD]1098[/TD]
    [TD]628[/TD]
    [TD]470[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Minnesota[/TD]
    [TD]56.35%[/TD]
    [TD]969[/TD]
    [TD]546[/TD]
    [TD]423[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Green Bay[/TD]
    [TD]55.39%[/TD]
    [TD]1029[/TD]
    [TD]570[/TD]
    [TD]459[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Kansas City[/TD]
    [TD]55.26%[/TD]
    [TD]988[/TD]
    [TD]546[/TD]
    [TD]442[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Tampa Bay[/TD]
    [TD]55.03%[/TD]
    [TD]934[/TD]
    [TD]514[/TD]
    [TD]420[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Cincinnati[/TD]
    [TD]54.96%[/TD]
    [TD]1068[/TD]
    [TD]587[/TD]
    [TD]481[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]St. Louis[/TD]
    [TD]54.29%[/TD]
    [TD]932[/TD]
    [TD]506[/TD]
    [TD]426[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Oakland[/TD]
    [TD]54.29%[/TD]
    [TD]956[/TD]
    [TD]519[/TD]
    [TD]437[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Tennessee[/TD]
    [TD]53.57%[/TD]
    [TD]995[/TD]
    [TD]533[/TD]
    [TD]462[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]San Diego[/TD]
    [TD]52.82%[/TD]
    [TD]1030[/TD]
    [TD]544[/TD]
    [TD]486[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Philadelphia[/TD]
    [TD]50.40%[/TD]
    [TD]1008[/TD]
    [TD]508[/TD]
    [TD]500[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Carolina[/TD]
    [TD]49.48%[/TD]
    [TD]956[/TD]
    [TD]473[/TD]
    [TD]483[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]NY Jets[/TD]
    [TD]49.33%[/TD]
    [TD]973[/TD]
    [TD]480[/TD]
    [TD]493[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Buffalo[/TD]
    [TD]48.88%[/TD]
    [TD]1068[/TD]
    [TD]522[/TD]
    [TD]546[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]San Francisco[/TD]
    [TD]45.23%[/TD]
    [TD]922[/TD]
    [TD]417[/TD]
    [TD]505[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Seattle[/TD]
    [TD]45.21%[/TD]
    [TD]929[/TD]
    [TD]420[/TD]
    [TD]509[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

31. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Boy, we were right down there near the bottom on the total number of plays run too. Not good for the D to be on the field that much. Played pretty damn solid considering.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  32. 77FinFan

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
  33. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    It is odd. I do wonder whether his role with NFLPA has something to do with it. It wouldn't be the first time, or sport, where franchises have tended to 'punish' a player for being political and a major union leader. I'm not big on conspiracy stuff, and wouldn't call it collusion, but I can see teams being that way. And, it could be he does ask for too much.

I really haven't watched him enough to comment on his ability except he basically starts everywhere he goes.

34. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    But, part of that is a function of the defense as well. The more 3 and outs a D gets, the more plays the offense runs. For example, a "bend but not break" D - the offense will get fewer plays. Of course, the offense procuring first downs is a big factor in # of plays. 3 and out possessions are killers. That is the stat I'd be interested in seeing.

35. 77FinFan

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Absolutely true. It seemed like all they did sometimes was give up 3rd and long.