1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Welcome to the Miami Dolphins, Jarvis Landry!

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by keithjackson, May 10, 2014.

1. keithjackson

keithjackson Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Jarvis Landry is my favorite player in this draft. Its the way he does the little things like running routes and blocking hard. Scouring LSU message boards its easy see why he was voted MVP of one of the best teams in the country. Here are some nuggets (please note LSU fans like to compare him to Odell Beckham Jr):

What a great dude. He will have a great NFL career.

I think he can and will be successful with his work ethic. His special teams ability should help him stick around too. The fear of his explosiveness and possible inability to get separation may scare team away. His vertical, shuttle, and 3 cone drill performances raise some red flags for a guy that is projected as a slot receiver. The only similar player I can think of is Welker in terms of speed and vertical, but he's incredibly quick.

The guys a football player I don't care what the measureables are. He is a modern day Eric Martin.

Will be the best NFL player from this LSU draft class. Book it.

One of my favorite Tigers of all time. Just a tough gritty kid who plays 110% all the time. I don't care what his 40 time or vertical is that kid is a gamer. Whoever drafts him is getting a great football player. He will be a steal and have great success in the NFL.

Landry will not just make it in the NFL; he will be dominant in the NFL. If he gets with a good QB he'll be All-Pro! I totally agree with what someone posted above; he will be the best LSU player taken this year.

To say Jarvis Landry is not athletic is laughable dude. I dont care about numbers, and at the end of the day, I think they make scouts over think things. I do agree that he will never be a #1, as it doesn't suit his skill set, but you can book it that this guy will make some big time clutch catches in the NFL, and wont just be some special teams guy.

Next Jerry Rice. Done.

Michael Irving was on the Doug Gotlee yesterday. He was talking about Jarvis Landry, saying he might not be high on some people's draft board,but he's the guy he would want on his team. He was watching him run great routes at the combine then he pulled his hamstring . People was telling him to stop even Michael went up to him an told him he should stop,but he said Jarvis wasn't having that. Jarvis continued to run until someone finally made him quit. Sounded like Jarvis really made an impression on him. I think Jarvis Landry is going to be one of the steals of the draft.

Jarvis Landry might not be the best at combines, but he has that uncoachable play-making ability that defines a football player. I truly think he's going to be one of our better prospects in the NFL these next coming years.

Jerry Rice part two.....

Depends on the offense that my team runs. I think Landry ends up with the better career in the right offense, but OBJ can be a spark plug that puts a team over the edge.

Landry because his hands are great and he can block. Could help right away on special teams. Ask Auburn about his cover skills.

Jarvis will have a longer career and out produce OBJ. On the field, he's better. OBJ is better in shorts. Landry is becoming the biggest steal in the draft.

Landry will make these teams drafting WRs sorry they passed on him. Best route runner and best hands in this draft.

Landry is a Hines Ward clone. Strong mean blocker, great hands, incredible routes, possession receiver.

Landry has better hands, loves to be physical and blocks really well for a WR. There's a reason he was the team MVP on a team full of talent. He'll be able to get separation and make the tough catches across the middle despite his lack of top end speed. Give me him in college or the pros.

I would take Landry over OBJ, personally.

I understand why people are so high on OBJ, and I don't mean this to be a slight against him, but if I'm a GM and I have to pick between the two for my team going forward, I'm taking Jarvis every time.

He's gonna make one fan base very happy starting tomorrow night! Good luck and thank you for some of the most spectatcular catches I've ever seen at LSU, Mr Landry!

I have always felt that Landry was the best "football " player on our team

It just depends on what you need. Beckham can change the game but Landry will get you first downs. Plus Landry is a tough special teams player. Most teams would like to have one of each.

Landry is a leader with the best ball skills in the draft and the most toughness of any WR in the draft pound for pound. I think they are comparable in value but different in style. OBJ is what pro scouts like because of measurables, but Landry is the guy who teammates like because of his toughness and relentless ability to outwork the opponent.

my brother and i had a few arguments during games last season, when i'd say "want a TD throw to Landry". I thought he could make catches that OBJ often dropped. especially passes in the endzone.

I love Landry. He's just a beast.

I still say OBJ makes the play when the play is there, but doesnt always create something out of nothing. Jarvis had a way of often creating something out of nothing.

If it was a big 3rd or 4th down I wanted it going Landry's way every time.

Probably my favorite Tiger since Kevin Faulk

Dolphins just picked up a STUD

Steal of the draft!

Congrats to Jarvis. Pro Bowls are in his future as long as he stays healthy.

If tanneyhill takes control of the offense, the OL blocks, and the dolphins can run the ball then tanneyhill to Jarvis could be lethal

Steal of the draft!

He's gonna be a terrific slot guy for Tannehill.

People put a lot of stock in measurables. Jarvis has stuff you can't measure.
    Somebody is gonna snatch him up and get a STEAL.

I know Beckham has all the measurables, but Jarvis Landry is an animal, I am taking Landry

If anyone ever had IT, it's Landry.

Also, if you want to watch some clips, heres six-plus games of his:
    http://draftbreakdown.com/players/jarvis-landry

2. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

From The Huddle Report:

Jarvis Landry WR LSU TALENT BOARD ROUND 2

STRENGTHS
    Jarvis reminds me a lot of former Steelers receiver Hines Ward. He has very stronghands to catch the ball and is a smart receiver who makes it easy for his quarterback to throw to him. He is an excellent zone receiver, has a knack for moving the ball on third downs and is very dependable. Jarvis has some solid run after the catch skills and in fact seems to be faster after he catches the ball than before. He is like a coach on the field, understands spacing and the timing of his routes and how they relate to the other receivers on the field. Jarvis has good balance, a strong body and can catch the ball in traffic. He is a good blocker and, in general, looks on film to be an excellent, mature teammate and leader. Jarvis is the type of receiver that quarterbacks fall in love with because of his consistency in his route running and football intelligence. He understands how to set up his opponents to make impact plays, move the ball on third downs and, in the red zone, can be a touchdown maker for the team that selects him.

CONCERNS
    Jarvis is not explosive or fast off the line, which may impact his draft status.

BOTTOM LINE
    Jarvis is the type of receiver that can teach a young, struggling, strong-armed quarterback the passing game. He is the type of receiver who will give a young quarterback confidence because he will always run his routes correctly and when he needs to cut off his routes and be open, you can bet the farm he will do it and be open. He is a bigger version of Wes Welker. Not as quick, but just as dependable moving the ball if he is paired with a strong armed quarterback. Every team in the NFL can use a receiver like Jarvis. He is not explosive as many others in this draft, but he will become a core player and the type of receiver you can build your offensive passing game around because he can be moved all over the place and will become that security blanket that so many young quarterbacks need to gain confidence and improve. I’m sure most teams will not be looking at selecting Jarvis early in this draft. That will make Jarvis one of those players who impacts and eventually will be considered one of the steals of this draft when all the other more explosive receivers picked ahead of him flame out because of injuries, lousy work ethic or a lack of football intelligence. Think of it this way, how many teams wish they had Hines Ward on their team when he was playing? I think a lot of them. If you’re a team who has a quarterback who is athletic and can extend a play, you need to draft Jarvis because he will be open when you need him to be.

Drew Boylhart
    MAR/2014

3. phinswolverinesrockets

phinswolverinesrockets If he dies, he dies

Oct 31, 2013
    Houston
    Sounds like a winner to me.

LSU1978, DPlus47 and keithjackson like this.
  4. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    As I said before, I love this pick and I'm thrilled he'll be wearing our beloved aqua and orange.

Landry is the kind of player every coach and fan wants on their team. Toughness, heart, passion, reliability, leadership and a great work ethic. The kind of player that will make everyone around him push themselves harder. Of course, having outstanding hands like he does helps as well.

Another thing I like about him is after listening to some interviews, he's a total team first guy. Refreshing to see considering he plays a position known for it's selfishness. He will do whatever he can to help the team win. Whether it's catching, blocking, playing special teams, whatever.

Mike Mayock interviewed him during the process and asked him what he would say if Mike Tomlin (Mayock used him as an example) asked him to play special teams and Landry's response was "where do I line up?" He's got such a great attitude about everything.

I envision him mainly in the slot but I think he'll be used in the outside a lot as well. He's a real good route runner and he's versatile so he could handle it. With his outstanding work ethic I expect him to get some solid playing time this season, and I'm sure we'll see him on special teams a bit too.

So, yeah, I'm pretty much in love with Jarvis Landry already and I can't wait to see him in action.

5. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    dolfan22, LSU1978, DPlus47 and 2 others like this.
  6. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Championship....

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

DPlus47 and eltos_lightfoot like this.
  7. Itsdahumidity

Itsdahumidity X gonna take it from ya

Dec 10, 2007
    Great post KJ. Man, when was the last time we had a "go get it/ball is mine" WR?

LSU1978, Fin D and 77FinFan like this.
  8. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Fist bump this all day long.

Itsdahumidity likes this.
  9. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Exciting thread..I really believed that the character part of the players moving forward would need to take more prescedent, and it wasn't just because of what happened last year..the makeup of this dude is perfect.

LSU1978 and DPlus47 like this.
  10. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Turner is similar. James was told he could go home, but he said he's gonna stay the next 6 weeks and get to work.

11. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Caught that too. Very cool. Remind you of anyone? Jerry maybe? Maybe not.

Fin D likes this.
  12. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    have you seen anything on how he pulled hickey aside and pleaded with him to draft him?, your thoughts.

13. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Yeah. He kept saying he didn't want to leave when they brought him in. I think some of that has to do with Dallas Thomas. I don't think he's a leader in the sense you like (fiery), but I believe he's a fiercely loyal & driven company man. Turner, on the other hand, might have that fire you covet. Landry is nothing but what you, DJ, look for in a player leadership and personality wise.

The only negative with James is that we'll have to convince MrClean to not have an embolism when no one spells his first name right.

14. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    Nice to feel good about what and how the team is trying to build again.

15. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Man...I gotta tell you..I knew nothing about Hickey. But..knowing he had spent a ton of time in the background..wondered if this would be one of those stories about a guy finally getting his shot, and the rest was history. Damn happy with our new GM so far. Through free agency and the draft..hasnt really made any mistakes.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Xeticus likes this.
  16. Killer Bees

Killer Bees Bringin' the Ruckus

Aug 14, 2011
    Listening to this kid talk, I'm falling in love with him lol. Saying all the right things.

LSU1978 likes this.
  17. LSU1978

LSU1978 New Member

May 11, 2014
    Oak Grove, Louisiana
    LSU Fan here as if it wasn't obvious by my board name... Glad to see ya'll are welcoming Jarvis! I read the other day 2 thread and saw a few nay sayr's which is to be expected... I mean Jarvis did run a 4.7 at the combine, but the part most don't see is he pulled his hammy during the combine and even Michael Irvin was trying to get him to stop participating... Finally someone had to make him stop... That's the kind of young man ya'll are getting, you can't teach heart or want to! That's something you have or you don't... I read alot about Beckham in the other thread... I have watched all of LSU's game for as long as I can remember. Beckham is a fine young man as well as electric and always a threat... I love both and going to the giants forums after this to see how they are receiving him as well... Both are great any team lucky to have them, but if I could only have one Landry would be on my team... IMHO he allowed ya'll to steal him in 2nd by running on that bum hammy at the combine... The awesome talent coupled with drive, motor, want to, lay's it all out there for his team... All that and you kept your first round pick! Totally unselfish player which is rare in today's me Me ME!!! world... Only have to look over to Wallace to see that... I understand all the apprehension though. Heck I am the same way! I watched all the tapes on Cooks, but I just can't seem to get over his 5'9" height... Personally I would trade him to ya'll for Landry LoL! There are always going to be some out there who just don't see it or get it... I myself am one from time to time... Alah Cooks, but I also know I know diddly about Oregon State so I hope I am pleasantly surprised by him this year... I promise by season's end all of ya will love this man and be cheering for him! I like Tannehill, think he is coming along quite well for ya'll... Hell of an arm on the guy, although accuracy can be a problem from time to time... Same with Mettenberger... They are almost clone qb's except for Tannehill's excellent mobility... Landry's hands and range to pull a ball in from anywhere and how is able to get open almost sneaky like, with Tannehill's ability to extend plays, Jarvis will make him a better qb... I'll bet by next season's end, Jarvis will have done more for ya'll than Odell has done for the Giant's... I think I may even start to become a Phins fan, pulling for Landry and I absolutely hate the Patriots... Ughh! Oh! Which makes me think... Of all the apprehensive one's, can anyone name any Pat's receivers in recent memory of any repute much less being a burner outside of Welker who isn't a burner but has heart, intensity, fearless in traffic, and hands? Sound like someone else I know? HaHa... Well I'll quit whacking this dead horse... Ready to watch some games! Will be pulling for the Phins unless they are playing the Saints!

18. jaymoney

jaymoney it's magic baby

Mar 15, 2013
    Thanks for sharing opinion. I like the part that he can make Tannehill better.

19. MrClean

I thought it was 126 targets. Since he caught 77 passes, if it 183 targets, that is a poor catch pct.

Aqua4Ever04 likes this.
  20. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Davone Bess, too bad he was a bit too small to truly excel in that style ultimately. I think then his life got a little out of control in Cleveland IIRC.

Bess fought for the ball, he just wasn't big enough to truly exploit that trait.

21. NUGap

NUGap Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 29, 2012
    I had him with 80 catchable targets (catchable being the key word) and 2 drops on the year. Which works out to a 2.5% drop rate. However, keep in mind that having a low drop rate in college doesn't mean **** for the NFL. However, it's plain to see that Jarvis has good hands which isn't always the case with players with low drop rates.

MrClean, 77FinFan, smahtaz and 2 others like this.
  22. MrClean

Both wrong. Here is what Barry Jackson had in his column:

unluckyluciano likes this.
  23. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Brandon Marshall was ok at getting the ball

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

24. Itsdahumidity

Itsdahumidity X gonna take it from ya

Dec 10, 2007
    Bess was great at catching bad passes. If you're reading this keep your head up Davone. One.

25. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    Long time ago... OG comes to mind.

Ducken and Itsdahumidity like this.
  26. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    chris chambers before the kenoy kennedy hit

27. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    He was/is great at it but Marshall drops a TON of balls too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fin D likes this.
  28. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    Uhg he dropped so many tds for us...so many...

29. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    I love how hard he fights for the ball. Breath of fresh air.

77FinFan likes this.
  30. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Now this gets me excited..thanks for sharing..

There will be less separation at this level, but with this type of determination and savvy, and great hands,he will figure out ways to get open and make the play.

31. VManis

VManis Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 10, 2010
    The Landry/Beckham thing reminds me of Wayne/Moss and we all know who turned out to be a better pro.

32. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Maybe, but he has the tools to create yards after catch with his physicality and toughness.

He ran a lot of comebacks, curls, etc which aren't big RAC yard plays.

Ducken likes this.
  33. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Did anyone else see Landry's Path to the Draft video?

They interviewed his grade school guidance counselor and she said Landry always had two goals in mind. The first was to make the NFL. The second? To give back.

This is one phenomenal kid. I have a feeling he's going to make us very proud being part of our team.

Xeticus likes this.
  34. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    buuuuuuuuuuuussssssssssttt

MonstBlitz likes this.
  35. RevRick

RevRick Long Haired Leaping Gnome Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Thomasville, GA
    Longer time...O.J. McDuffie

36. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    It's certainly not great, but not entirely nonexistent. He had a better YAC than Benjamin and was in line with Beckham and Cooks. Nu-Gap's Metrics breakdowns showed this.

Cooks low YAC is partly a product of the offense and percentage of catches on comebacks. But, most of Landry's catches were in/out which don't yield a lot of YAC typically.

But, it is the case that he will not explode for big plays. Honestly he's in the Gibson/Matthews category, imo. More like Gibson. Will make good catches and be a reliable target but not big plays. I don't think he'll unseat Hartline any time (unless the Dolphins don't like Hartline's contract and let him go b/c of that) but do like him as a slot player who can be really reliable and block and be physical.

37. MrClean

He does get YAC on some plays.

38. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    Good to hear some of this positive stuff.
    That said, I'll hold off on getting to giddy.
    I know that measureables aren't everything but.... damn he's got some bad ones.
    We'll see how he can handle the step up of going against NFL corners.

39. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
  40. MrClean

One of the key measurables for a WR is the 10 yd split. We all know he was running on a pulled hammy at the combine, but at his pro day he got the 10 yd split down to 1.58, which is more in Allen Robinson, Davante Adams, Marqise Lee territory.

Coral Reefer likes this.