1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Doesnt it suck knowing your team is going to draft a boring offensive lineman?

Discussion in 'SoapBox - Rants forum' started by yoge, May 7, 2014.

1. yoge

yoge New Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Like that year we drafted Jake Long as the first pick. And now he doesnt even play for the Dolphins. Most mock drafts have Dolphins taking a lineman. Why cant we just pick up free agent linemen and get a star player in the draft?

Aquafin and TooGoodForDez like this.
  2. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    Or the year we said, who needs Dez or Demaryius? We need Odrick.
    Or who needs Kaeprnick, or Dalton or Mallett, let's draft Pouncey!

this year, we need Morgan Moses gosh darn it! That'll fix it!

3. phinswolverinesrockets

phinswolverinesrockets If he dies, he dies

Oct 31, 2013
    Houston
    Nope...an offensive lineman is our biggest need. Why would it suck if we chose one?

MAFishFan likes this.
  4. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    Some laughed when we drafted Pouncey too.

Let it play out, man. Let's see what the Hickster has up his sleeve.

unluckyluciano likes this.
  5. TooGoodForDez

Feb 26, 2013
    I'm still laughing. Center at #15?

Aquafin likes this.
  6. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    It doesn't suck for people who have working adult attention spans and a functional understanding of football.

7. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    58 sacks last year.

I repeat, 58.

8. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    [video=youtube;2WKF97DO2UE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WKF97DO2UE[/video]

TotoreMexico and Ohio Fanatic like this.
  9. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    I don't like it when you draft a lineman, really high, when you have nobody else on the offensive side of the football. It's taking Jake Long #1 when Matt Ryan is there and your current QBs suck and you think Chad Henne is just as good. But I digress.

While I won't say Tannehill is definitely going to cut the mustard, he's our QB for now, and we have some pieces on offense that if we can build upon last year, is decent enough and can be really good (all depends on Tanny's development). So with some offensive pieces in place, and we're not picking so high, using a pick now on OL is just fine and dandy IMO.

I think the Oline is very very important but individual linemen especially LT's are overrated slightly. Gotta get that QB position right and everything else falls into place or can be taken care of later. A lot of hodgepodge lines have won the super bowl recently. Good coaching and playcalling can overcome mediocre to bad lines. That said, a strong oline makes things a lot easier too. It's all balance

10. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I liked Long

He had hall of fame potential.

Same with Pouncey.

None of the potential linemen does through

11. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Because Dalton and Mallett are really lighting the league up.

Ohio Fanatic likes this.
  12. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Dalton? Mallett?

LOL

bran, 305, Phinfanjt and 1 other person like this.
  13. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I don't like it but I don't blame Hickey for it, I blame decades worth of bad drafts. Wished we addressed it via free agency, perhaps Collins... we still had space... but oh well.. We have to stop repeating our mistakes and build that offensive line. Next year, you can expect a playmaker in Round 1 since we SHOULD have our 3 core linemen spots filled with talent.

Aquafin and MAFishFan like this.
  14. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    33/20 and just shy of 90 passer rating ain't shabby. I know, no playoff wins and puts up numbers against lesser opponents, but it ain't shabby.

15. FanMarino

FanMarino Season Ticket Holder

Nov 24, 2007
    You know where he is coming from. Playmakers score TDs and win games. OLineman do the dirty work. Trench guys don't get many people hyped. We picked Jordan last yr. A lot of fans are still waiting on him. Linemen beit O or D don't bring the hype value. Its how it is.

Aquafin likes this.
  16. Mcduffie81

Mcduffie81 Wildcat Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Lake Worth, Fl.
    Who says we are drafting an Olineman? I think we get our lineman in rnd 2.

gunn34 and Mexphin like this.
  17. FanMarino

FanMarino Season Ticket Holder

Nov 24, 2007
    I agree with that. Maybe our No1 pick will be BPA and a playmaker beit Offense or D. I'm liking the fact every NFL.COM expert mock has us taking Martin...its almost an after thought to think he may be gone by our pick. None of these 'experts' have took that in. A lot of guys on here have. Going to be interesting who we pick if Martin is off the board.

18. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Yeah, because watching our QB get sacked 58 times was SOOOOOO entertaining.

19. phinswolverinesrockets

Oct 31, 2013
    Houston
    I don't know where he's coming from. We have enough playmakers right now to be a top offense. We have basically two 1,000 yard receivers, a 700+ yard tight end, and a slot guy who was hurt half way through the season who put up damn near 500 yards receiving...not to mention 2 running backs who combined had over 2000 yards rushing and receiving last season. Where is the actual need for 'playmakers'? We had a top 10 scoring defense, so I don't see a huge need there. The 3 biggest needs on this team are right tackle, right guard, and coaching. We can shore up 2 of those with our first 2 picks. How would it suck drafting offensive linemen this draft?

20. yoge

yoge New Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Yeah its going to be very entertaining to watch a fat lineman block the other team.

TooGoodForDez likes this.
  21. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    Ohhhhhhh, I get it now. You don't know it works. Fair enough, I'll explain.

Ya see, lineman keep the big ole bad guy defenders from hitting our qb. When our qb doesn't get hit, he can then throw the ball to a wide receiver. And we have good receivers, so getting them the ball is good. It's like a team thing. The lineman also move the big ole bad guy defenders out of the way for our running back too.

22. CashInFist

CashInFist Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    lol

23. TooGoodForDez

Feb 26, 2013
    It's incredibly ignorant to draft OL at 19.

There is no drop off between Kouandjio and henderson
    There versatile guard/tackle combos later, Kenarius Gates protected blind side of Murray, looks stronger in games pushing piles than martin, and that is a 7th rounder. There are plenty of players later who can be drafted and start with same efficacy as early rounders. heck, Zach Martin has 32" arms, can he stop Mario Williams at RT?

Drafting OL high is lazy, ignorant, foolish and scared.

Phin5.0 likes this.
  24. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Having a winning team won't be boring.

25. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Not as much as this thread does.

26. TotoreMexico

TotoreMexico Your retarded

Jan 4, 2008
    Mexico
    [​IMG]

Mexphin and Silverphin like this.
  27. gilv13

gilv13 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2009
    lol.

28. TooGoodForDez

Feb 26, 2013
    I'm pumped about acquiring Jawuan James :-)

29. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Lay off the crystal.

MrClean likes this.
  30. bigbry

bigbry Huge Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Colorado
    I'm pumped about watching this board blow up.

31. Triggercut

Triggercut Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Ross lurks on this message board. Every year there are a few haters that threaten to leave if we draft "poorly". He is systematically weeding them out.

32. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I felt the same way as the original poster when I was 15 or so, watching my first drafts in 92,93. These days I understand that the team needs to get the best players at positions of need rather than trying some PR move to excite the less educated sections of the fan base.

Colorado Dolfan likes this.
  33. phinswolverinesrockets

Oct 31, 2013
    Houston

[​IMG]

34. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

The difference between this team being 8-8 and 12-4 was the offensive line. If all 18 other starters returned, and we significantly upgrade both guards and both tackles this is a playoff team. That task is halfway completed.
    People who complain about offensive linemen in the 1st round know JACK SQUAT about football.

35. Phin5.0

Phin5.0 New Member

Feb 16, 2014
    Sorry, Clean.

I completely disagree. The difference between this team being 8-8 and 12-4 was Tannehill and Wallace connecting the deep passes that they missed. This is not counting, of course, those passes that were missed because they were dialed up but Tannehill was immediately sacked. This is just counting the plays where Tannehill had time to get the ball down the field but still was off target.

Do you need a good OL in order to win in the NFL? Absolutely. Do you need to spend first round pick after first round pick in order to build that OL? The best teams in the league don't. Sure, there's a first rounder somewhere on their OL I'll bet, but continually spending first round picks on the OL is a losing effort. It shows either your scouts are horrid or your coaches can't coach.

Seattle has one first round pick on their OL, and drafted a second who can't win a starting a job. The 49ers have two first round draft picks on OL. The Broncos have one. The Patriots have two first round picks on their OL (and a bunch of undrafted free agents as a matter of fact).

It's far more interesting when you look at how many successful teams have second round picks starting at their OL.

Which makes perfect sense. You're still placing a high priority on the OL, but you're grabbing playmakers with those 1st round picks.

36. Phin5.0

Phin5.0 New Member

Feb 16, 2014
    BAHAHAHAH.

I'm sorry, but it could be worse. You could be a fan of the Rams that just paid Jake Long a truck load of money to play LT and just paid Saffold a bunch of money to play RT and still be targeting a OT with the 2nd overall pick of the draft.

That, to me, is far worse.

37. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    It might be better if he passed it around as it would make this more bearable.

I think the best thing to say is:

Shoo Troll, Shoo.

eltos_lightfoot likes this.
  38. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    No we should have stayed put and drafted Earl ****ing Thomas.

39. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Which would have been MUCH easier to accomplish with even middle of the pack pass protection.

No one is advocating always going OL in round 1. As for the best teams in the league not doing so, SF has 3 OL they drafted in the 1st currently on their OL. Better count them again.

MAFishFan likes this.
  40. Phin5.0

Phin5.0 New Member

Feb 16, 2014
    Which would have been? Tannehill would have completed the passes to Wallace even when he had time to make the throw had he had more time by a better OL? Or are you saying that with a better OL, he wouldn't have gotten sacked, so even though he missed 15 of the 20 deep balls to Wallace, he would have gotten another 10 chances that he was sacked on in 2013 and of those 10 chances he would have hit 3 or so and that would have made the difference?

Yep, you're right. I counted wrong, I missed Anthony Davis.

So, to your point - The 49ers have three first round draft picks on their OL: Anthony Davis, Mike Iupati, and Joe Staley. Their other starting OL? Undrafted, and a 5th round journeyman.

But just so we're clear - are you holding the current 49er's team up as the model in which we should follow?