1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An 8 minute jog has wrecked my body this week

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Unlucky 13, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I exercise pretty often, usually lifting on my Bowflex 3 times a week & doing 30 minutes on my eliptical machine 4-6 time a week. Unfortunately, a part on my eliptical broke last week, and I had to order another. Not wanting to just stop my cardio while I waited for it to come in, I decided to jog a mile after lifting on Sunday morning.

It was a mistake. I didn't push myself too hard. I was barely sweating when I was done, but the muscles on the front of my thighs were killing me. I guess that they don't get worked like the others in my normal workout. I streached, and figured oh well, part of getting older. Unfortunately, as the day went on, the soreness got worse. I woke up Monday morning almost unable to get out of bed I was so sore. Walking down my stairs was agony. Here we are Wednesday, and it still hurts, LOL. I think that I've learned my lesson to stick with what I'm used to. Thankfully, my replacement part came via FedEX today!

2. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Water + Banana + Long stretch before running. Never failed me. Water especially the day before.

SICK and Unlucky 13 like this.
  3. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Good advice. I'm a type 2 diabetic, and drink water all day long. Literally about two gallons a day. I also drink about a quart while working out most of the time. With the jog I drank about half of that before and half a gatorade G2 when I got home. Streached before and after, but perhaps not that muscle group enough I guess.

4. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    If you keep doing it, it'll get better. To say "I'm going to stick to what I'm use to" is silly because mixing up routines is an excellent way to confuse your body and grow. I'm guessing you don't regularly utilize your quads (guessing that's the muscle that is sore) in your regular routine but you did while jogging. Just my two cents.

If you dislike jogging, try introducing cycling into your regimen to work your quads more.

5. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    You should squat

6. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Thanks for the advice guys. Part of the benefit of the eliptical for me is that I can do it at any point in the day while watching my two young girls too. Jogging means that I can only do it in the evening when my wife and I are both home. On top of that, the eliptical gives me the calorie burn that I need. I'm completely drenched in sweat when Im done to the point that I need to hang my shirt and shorts in the secondary bathroom shower rod to let them dry. If I don't get enough of a workout, my blood sugar gets too high. Beyond being in shape, its part of a larger health thing for me.