1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Missing Link: Offensive Edition

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by zwave21, Apr 22, 2014.

1. zwave21

zwave21 New Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Coming into the 2014 Season and the Offense is still the big unknown...I can't look at the roster and say its empty of weapons because it is not. Was it flashy? Not even close. Was it efficient? Not a chance. Was it predictable? Absolutely. But, the fix isn't as difficult as some would anticipate.

Biggest problems:
    - Offensive line (Run/Pass)
    - RB
    - QB
    - WR
    - TE (yes I'd rate the TE position as the most efficient unit)

Offensive line: Not going to harp on it but. Historically bad. Essentially tried to be a zone team with an nonathletic line (except Mike Pouncey). 58 sacks. The running game couldn't get going either.

Additions: Branden Albert; Shelley Smith; Jason Fox

Albert - he is our LT and thank god we got someone who plays at a high level, RT17 has to be sleeping a little bit better.

Smith - he is excellent as a pulling guard and that has been needed for many moons. Still needs to prove he can be a starter.

Fox - he is depth, always open to competition but he has: n't amounted to too much in the pros.

Missing Link: Ideally we want to draft a starting RT and Guard in the draft. People have been linking Zack Martin to the Dolphins since the combine. In truth there could be worse things, like drafting Cyrus Koundijo with the 19th pick. But, at #19 we sit in a prime position to pick a playmaker and still be able to draft OL in round 2-4. But, we are drafting a RT and the best T prospects have been LT, and it isn't the easiest transition as we've learned from the past when moving to the right side. I look at a team like the Chicago Bears who drafted a OL early and another in middle rounds and had two bookend starters last year (Jordan Mills, Kyle Long). I'd love for us to do that.

Pieces: Juwan James RT Tennesee (2nd) ; Jon Halapio (5th) ; subsequently I also look to sign a veteran guard. Open competition come training camp at Guard (Brenner; D. Thomas; Smith; Halapio ; FA). James slides in nicely to RT and he might be the best pure one in the draft.

RB: The OL played a part in this but honestly these guys were just not up to par. Lamar Miller could never get into a rhythm due to play calling and lack of holes. But, he needs to bef a more decisive runner he has great quickness and speed but his vision needs to improve. Daniel Thomas can be sent to pasture for all I care. He has outstayed his welcome and I hope he is cut or beat out in training camp. Marcus Thigpen is our KR/PR by default but he hasn't been a weapon at all to speak of. Mike Gillislee hasn't showed anything but this coaching staff does shelter its rookies in general.

Additions: Knowshown Moreno

Moreno - coming off a career year in a historic offense in Denver. Playing with Peyton Manning always boosts a players performance but Moreno has always had talent but maybe just needed the direction from a veteran to put it together.r I think he is a great add this offseason on a one year deal. If he comes in and plays to his capability I sign him to a 2-3 year deal. He offers a 3rd down back who can pass block and catch.

Missing Link: Still, don't have that big back that we could need in short yardage situations. But, the draft has a few options that I wouldn't mind. IMO after the Moreno signing I think this moved from a early - mid round selection to a mid - late round selection. I don't think this should be totally dismissed but a late round even a UDFA that drops wouldn't be the worst thing. I hope Gillislee gets a chance to prove his worth this season as I liked his decisiveness at UF. Some names to watch in mid - late rounds (Terrance West; Isiah Crowell; Devonta Freeman; Storm Johnson). The combination of Moreno and Miller could be a potent combination. I hope we see a balanced offense this season and have the ability to control the clock. Finishing our Project Runway: Offensive Line Makeover is the biggest need but after that the addition of Moreno and a more better playbook we could see a drastically improved running game in 2014.

QB: Yes, I say QB as our most important player in the past decade compleyely went M.I.A. in weeks 16/17. I can't remember feeling so sky high after that Patriot victory as it seemed like the tide was turning in our favor. But, the letdown of those weeks really got to me. Blame all the coaching you want but coaches coach and players play, and our most vital one went cold. Noone can deny we have a talented and promising QB, but he has not taken the step. He hasn't shown the ability to consistently play as a above average starter in the NFL. Year 1 he was deprived of playmakers so I'll give him a pass. Year 2, he was crippled by an OL and a inept OC. Year 3, it's all on him. Yes, he will be learning a new playbook but so was Nick Foles last year when Chip Kelly came to town and he looked like an All-Pro QB. RT17 is smart but is he football smart, can he prove to the Elite in his draft class like Luck and Wilson.

Additions: None

Missing Link: The type of QB who can take a game into his own hands, who can will his team to win. At times I love how calm and collected Tannehill is and other times I wish he would show the fire like Brady at times. In my mind there are no excuses this year. This team is playoff talented and I mean that, but we are not elite. It takes time and an objective to be elite. I want to taste the playoffs again with the fortune of returning the years following. I wouldn't mind taking a QB in rounds 6-7 or UDFA.

WR: Might be our deepest unit on Offense but they did not leive up to expectation or their paychecks. The $60 million dollar man showed some flashes and some that were missed opportunities (cough..RT17...cough). His effort wasn't always there and that is a problem. Him and Tannehill need to get on the same page and make this thing work. Wallace gets open more than any WR I have seen. Isn't any good if the QB can't get it there. Hartline is Hartline and is steady, but he isn't taking over a game like we need in a complement to Wallace. Gibson gets a pass due to injury and he was showing signs as he came on prior to his injury. Rishard Matthews is a pleasant suprise to me, as he played pretty well the las thalf of the season and I'd like to see him get more opportunity. Armon Binns is coming off an injury as well but he offers the size/speed package we desperately need but again he was cut in Cincinatti for a reason and is injury prone.

Additions: Damian Williams

Williams - I liked coming out of college at USC but just as every USC in my memory he never lived up to his potential. Still, he offers the speed that no other WR currently on the roster offers. He is still young and coming in on a $800k deal so either way if hef doesn't at least lock down a #4 WR spot and/or KR/PR duties he won't make it out of traning camp.

Missing Link: It is 2 parts: Part A - is a big bodied WR who can dominate the redzone, and Part B- is an additional WR who can challenge a defense vertically. Nice, thing is addressing one or the other will help immesly. Wallace/Hartline/Gibson all have high salary cap numbers and none have lived up to their contract. Wallace offers this offense the most with his speed but unless his effort and chemistry with RT17 improve he might not be in South Beach for long. Hartline is coming off an injury and while he is the most consistent he is the least worrisome to defenses, his cap number is also high. Gibson was coming on prior to his knee injury but he can basically be subbed for a cheaper Matthews and it may not be a dropoff in production at all. One thing I love is that we have brought WR's in for a visit this offseason but I hope it isn't just a smokescreen as the NFL is changing. You can never have too many weapons and in the end the Elite are only stocking up more and more. A big improvement can be made on the sideline or in the coaching booth depending on what new OC Bill Lazor prefers. In my mind our play calling and lack of adjustments at least to our route combinations was horrid last year. Wallace lined up split right like 97% of the time and it allowed oppossing defenses the opportunity to isolate him. I hope to see some different routes and not just vertical routes but get him horizontal and plain and simple just get him the ball. But, I do hope we draft a WR that could challenge for a #2 spot on this team. I'd look rounds 2-4 to have this addressed. At this point assume we take a OT in round 2, that leaves round 1,3,or 4 to look at it. I think round 1 there could be some options that I wouldn't hate (Brandin Cooks; Allen Robinson) but I prefer a certain ILB if he is on the board so I'd look at round 3 or 4 to draft a WR in a deep class. Some names I personally like who could be on the board are Donte Moncrief (visited MIA); Jordan Matthews: Jarvis Landry; Bruce Ellington; and Josh Huff. Moncrief/Matthews offer the best size/speed WR who have the ability to challenge vertically. Ellington/Huff are the burners of the group each who can really fly, neither have ideal size but there combination of speed not just vertically but horizontally could pay dividends in this offense. Landry is the WR you see each year whose workout numbers trump his game tape. Watch his tape and you'll see a WR who is extremly physical and while not the biggest plays big and while not the fastest plays fast enough. Landry reminds me of a Anquan Boldin type WR who may nber get the best 40 time but is just a gamer. Any of these WR I think could bring an element to our Offense we lack.

TE: This is a position group that was definetly the overachiever of the 2013 season. But, let's not confuse a pleasant suprise with a complete unit. Charles Clay was my offensve breakout player last year. The talent was there but he really put it together. Still, he is a mismatch weapon as an H-Back in a hybrid role, he is not the traditional in-line TE that we could use. He isn't the world's best blocker but his effort and growth is apparent. Michael/Egnew and Dion Sims played better than expected but someone needs to improve.

Additions: None

Missing Link: What this unit is really missing is a more traditional TE. Someone who plays with his hand in the dirt sharing a shoulder with a OT. Someone who is just as concerned with blocking as he is with scoring TD's < those days may be long gone but you get my point. Where Clay excels we don't have the necessary compliment to make this a better unit. I'd like to see us add a TE who can be a red zone weapon but also can help aid a young OL in the running game. If this is addressed in the draft if Ebron is on the board in round 1, you can't pass him up without giving him the look over twice. Also if ASJ or Amaro are there at #50 you may take a look. In rounds 3/4 Fiederwicz is the only one to consider. But, my pick is unless the aforementioned happens I play the waiting game and bring in Jermichael Finley when healthy. He is what could really make this offense click. A big and very athletic TE who could give RT17 the big body he has been missing. Also Finley while not a blocker afficinado can hold his own. Even if it's a one year prove it type of deal if he shows his capability he could be a steal of 2014.

So, on offensive a potential roster of:

WR - Wallace/Williams/Binns
    LT - Albert/ Garner
    LG - Halapio/Thomas/Brenner
    C- Pouncey/Brenner
    RG - Smith/Veteran/Brenner
    RT - James/Fox
    TE - Finley/Sims/Egnew
    WR - Hartline/Moncrief
    WR - Gibson/Matthews/Binns
    RB - Moreno/Miller/Crowell
    H-Back - Clay/Egnew