1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

would you trade down @ 19

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by crackback, Apr 19, 2014.

1. crackback

crackback New Member

Mar 8, 2014
    I have read a lot of posts where people want Hickey to trade up to get a player they think we need, but I think if a scenario presents itself we should trade down. I will give you a scenario that might play out. Let me start out by stating that I think there are 4 quarterbacks with 1st round grades and 10 teams needing a QB. The Texans, Jaguars, Browns, Vikings and Cardinals having QB as a top need while the Raiders, Buccaneers and the Titans are still looking for a franchise quarterback. Lets say that the teams needing a QB drafting early take BPA.This is just one scenario, lets say the Texans were to take Clowney, the Jaguars take Sammy Watkins and Cleveland takes Manziel. The Vikings take Bortles. You could flip flop the last two selections but that still leaves Bridgewater and Carr left and with the Cardinals sitting at 20, I think they would take Bridgewater. In this scenario, the Texans & Jaguars need to trade up to take Bridgewater. I know any scenario could play out but if quarterbacks drop and we are sitting in front of the Cardinals, who need a franchise quarterback, then we may be able to trade down.

I went onto Draftek's website to see what our 19th pick is worth (875pts)
    These trades with each team would add up close to 875pts

If we traded
    1. Texans: our 1st (19) for their 2nd (33), 3 (65) & 5th (141)
    2. Jaguars: our 1st (19) and next years 6th for their 2 (39), 3 (70), 4 (105) and next years 4th
    3. Browns: if Browns pick non QB with their 1st and are forced to trade up from 26th. Our 1st (19) and next years 4th for their 1st (26) and 3rd (71)
    4. Vikings: if they take non QB with their 1st and trade up. Our 1st (19) for their 2nd (40), 3rd (72), 4th (108) and next years 4th.

I believe with this deep draft class, additional picks would serve us better filling our roster needs with more plug and play players if we add picks in the top 100 or so. (OL, LB, RB, S, CB, WR & TE)

Wayne Kjelsrud and Fin-Omenal like this.
  2. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    It's hard to trade down in a draft where nearly every team wants to trade down without giving up significant value. There will be no Oakland specials this year for teams wanting to move up in the first few rounds.

3. crackback

crackback New Member

Mar 8, 2014
    Do you then think that teams like the Texans and Jaguars are forced to take a QB instead of BPA (Clowney & Watkins)? I think the Dolphins sitting in front of a team that needs a franchise QB is in good position to trade down, if those teams drafting early take BPA.

4. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I think the vast majority would favor a trade down. I think the most likely situation would be if the QBs fell and a team like Cleveland was enamored with a specific one. If that happened you could probably close the deal with #19 for #26 and #71 w/o having to throw in the future 4th.

jim1 likes this.
  5. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Well 19 has always been our lucky number. So yes.

ckparrothead, gilv13 and Fin-Omenal like this.
  6. drumzan

drumzan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Feb 1, 2014
    I would trade down in a heartbeat if it go more picks in rounds 2-4.

That trade with Cleveland is not good though.

7. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Hard to answer this question without knowing who will be available at 19.

8. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    Scott Wright@DraftCountdown 1m
    With a potential run on the first-tier DB's in the Top 20 I think we could see teams in late Round 1 get aggressive and attempt to move up.

9. Canad-phin

Canad-phin Active Member

Oct 17, 2012
    I love more picks but I also love talent. The guys available at 19 are better than the guys at 33 or wherever. If we can grab a hold of a lot of other picks than sure. Still always hate trading down. Unless its a great deal and your at the top of the draft like the Rams a few years ago.

10. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    I think there is some top tier talent, but I'm not sure that it extends to 19. Then I believe that there is a pretty beefy belly to this draft that extends from mid-late 1st clear down to the late 3rd.

11. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I think if Miami could get to the lower part of the 1st round then they could probably execute another trade to get to the top of the 2nd round. I think the lower part of the 1st round is where you'll see some action and the Dolphins at 19 might be just a bit too far up to get in on it.

But honestly unless someone really interesting does fall to that 19 pick I would be all for trading down.

12. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I agree, I'm really not interested in a lot of the players I've seen mocked to us at 19, including Mosley, Shazier, we've got to prepare for the lineman that are good enough for top 20 value will not be there.

13. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    Not a fan of trading down and then up. It's always a wtf moment, like last year.

14. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    Lots of boards and mocks I've seen are very fluid between 6 and 20 after a pretty clear top 5 (Clowney, Watkins, Mack, Robinson, Matthews in some order). So I get the trade down thought. Unless Lewan plummets, I really can't see a situation where an OLineman is anywhere near bpa at 19.

But you can't pass on a potential needle-moving high-impact player if there's one available, regardless of position (besides QB). We currently have two guys who opposing teams have to worry about: Wake and Grimes. And they're both on the wrong side of 30. We need young splash players to be the cornerstones of this franchise going forward. Guys to build around like Gerald McCoy and Lavonte David from Hickey's old team. Young perennial pro bowlers who are among the best at their respective positions.

As a side note...The guys I see as this type of player who could be there at 19: Donald, Fuller, Verrett, maybe Ealy or Shazier. Though I'd love to see what teams think of Shazier, such a tricky prospect. I think these guys are a notch above Robinson, Cooks, Hageman, Nix. I don't see a situation where an OLineman is anywhere near bpa at 19 unless Lewan plummets.

15. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Donald will not be there, I'd bet any amount of money, if he is there, there are some really stupid GMs..if he doesn't go top 10 there are some stupid GMs.

77FinFan likes this.