1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Protecting Your Online Accounts and Passwords

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by maynard, Apr 9, 2014.

1. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    I'd like to source some recommendations and opinions on this in light of the Heartbleed exploit/bug happening now and some general best practices

I downloaded Lass Pass today. I installed it and set up but more or less quit after a few steps. It seems pretty tough to manage over a ton of PCs and devices. It seems like the safest thing to do would be to have LassPass change and generate a password for you on the sites you use. But what if you need to access those sites from a different place? One example would be our bank account. I access it from home and work, but my wife also does so from her work PC, where she isnt really allowed to install programs. Maybe I'm making too big a deal about trusting passwords to a program, but...maybe I'm not understanding this correctly. If any of you guys use a password manager, I'd like to know how you use it, how you set it up, which one do you use, premium or free

MikeHoncho likes this.
  2. bigbry

bigbry Huge Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Colorado
    Maynard, your wife does all that for me. Perhaps you should talk to her.....for a change. Oh and start wearing the tool belt.

3. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Why do I feel like clicking Maynard's link will give me the virus he is talking about.

4. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    I second LastPass.

That said, an easier method would be to send me all your usernames/passwords and I'll personally see to it that they are kept safe.

5. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    I'm not feigning dumb this time lol

6. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Nice try, hacker.

Rocky Raccoon, Bpk and MikeHoncho like this.
  7. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    Thanks for the helpful feedback!

Bpk likes this.
  8. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Short of changing your passwords on a frequent basis............there's not much more that can be done in a case like that one.

unluckyluciano likes this.
  9. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    yeah. Change your pws frequently. Follow password guidelines. Mix uppercase, lowercase, numbers and symbols (if allowed by the site). Also not syncing all your pws would help as well, and don't use anything personal (your name, significant others name, favorite team, maynard's mom's phone number)

SICK likes this.
  10. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I keep all my passwords right here *points to empty Fanta can*

No one suspects the empty Fanta can

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

11. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    that's the first thing I'd suspect. No one drinks ****ing fanta.

12. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Upon further review I'm not sure how last pass would help mitigate things regarding this particular bug exploit. The great bleed attacks the server to collect information.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk