1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What if Z.Martin, E.Ebron, CJ Mosley arent there @ 19 ?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by th3_4th_son, Apr 8, 2014.

1. th3_4th_son

th3_4th_son New Member

Feb 28, 2014
    What would you do considering all the depth in this draft? ...

2. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    at that point I'd guess the pick to be Morgan Moses.

3. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    That'd mean someone really good fell to 19.

finyank13 and sports24/7 like this.
  4. th3_4th_son

th3_4th_son New Member

Feb 28, 2014
    assuming T.lewan is also gone........I agree though id love to trade back

5. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Ebron.

6. RickyBobby

RickyBobby VIP DIY

Sep 22, 2009
    Palm beach
    Mosley
    If an OT falls to your 2nd pick him. If not you can address both OG and OT in rss 3-5 plus the addition of either club or mickinnie at RT.

Would allow us a luxury pick in the 2nd...Niklas?...Mason?...Cooks?...Robinson? Or ANYBODY who falls

7. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Shazier or Cooks

ssmiami likes this.
  8. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    If those three guys are gone as stated...someone fell.

You have to hope the four QBs go ahead of us...Teddy, Bortles, Carr, Manziel. Then you have other locks like Watkins, Robinson, Matthews, Lewan, Clowney, Aaron.

So I named 10....if your three go that is 13. That isn't counting teams that will reach for "their guy" as always.

Someone worthy will be there.

gunn34 likes this.
  9. scotty_irnbru

scotty_irnbru Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Dundee, Scotland
    I think the teams may have a bit of collusion like last year. Let the qbs drop and pick them up later. Spend the early picks on playmakers. I'd say the browns are most likely to trade down, they have 2 picks, never attended a top 3 qb pro day (smokescreen? perhaps, or maybe they do want Carr). Could we be aggressive and trade up? Maybe, just maybe Robinson is still there. Certainly Matthews. That's 2 great talents there. Our line is then looking pretty tough. I know the consensus seems to be to trade down but you have to imagine most teams are thinking the same so perhaps the trade up price drops?

10. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    Had to re-read the OP's question. Thought it read what if "what if Z.Martin, E.Ebron, CJ Mosley are there @ 19?" In which case, my immediate answer is Ebron. But, if all are already off the board, and assuming Evans and Lewan are all also gone, I'd say either Cooks or try and trade back.

11. mlb1399

mlb1399 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2010
    I'd be inclined to take an impact player, difference maker at TE or LB rather than the 4th or 5th option at OL. I know Martin projects to RT or OG rather than LT but an impact player at MLB could close the gap we saw in our run defense last year and make this defense elite again. An impact player at TE gives RTH a legitimate red zone threat and a safety valve when he's under pressure. I also believe you can find good value OL picks in the 2nd through 5th rounds.

Aquafin and cuchulainn like this.
  12. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Huron still on the board?

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

13. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Brandin Cooks

14. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    Hopefully it means we traded up for Ebron. :shifty:

15. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    If you want a speed, athletic TE I'd rather go late in the draft with AC Leonard than trade up for Ebron.

16. 77FinFan

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Are you saying you wd rather have Leonard than Ebron? I'd rather Niklas than Leonard, Ebron before anyone else at TE.

17. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Teddy Bridgewater, Blake Bortles, Brandin Cooks, Allen Robinson, Jace Amaro, Morgan Moses, Kony Ealy, Ra'Shede Hageman, Timmy Jernigan, Ryan Shazier, Kyle Fuller, Jason Verrett, Deone Buchanon and Terrence Brooks would all make acceptable picks at the spot.

I could also be persuaded to forgive the selection of Tre Mason, Lache Seastrunk, Xavier Su'a-Filo, Stephon Tuitt, Hasean Clinton-Dix and perhaps Bradley Robey (still more work to do on him).

Pandarilla and ssmiami like this.
  18. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Ryan Shazier
    Brandin Cooks
    Morgan Moses
    C.J. Mosley
    Timmy Jernigan

Those would make me fist-pump.

I'd be pretty happy with the rest of Chris' list as well, if not one of the five I've listed, though admittedly I haven't seen much of Buchanon or Brooks.

Disgustipate likes this.
  19. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    The very best picks from among those discussed are somewhere around Bridgewater, the receivers Cooks & Robinson, Fuller and perhaps Shazier. Probably the highest rated player I have at the pick is Fuller.

20. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Not really. It would likely mean the QBs fell. Which is a good chance. I've been thinking this could happen for a week or so. I think teams are not willing to take risks on these QBs and that a few of them will fall. That hurts Miami in filling our needs. The best thing that could happen is for all first round potential QBs to be drafted before 19. Not likely though.

But the other possibility is that if the QBs drop and top shelf players we need go ahead of us, that one or two teams could be looking to trade up and we could get extra picks. If this draft is as deep as people are saying (I really don't know because I haven't looked carefully at it) then that could be a real positive even if Miami misses out on a top rated player.

Personally, while Mosley may be the best MLB in the draft, I just don't see him as a Patrick Willis type. If he is, great. But while he is talented he just does not seem dominant to me. And was surrounded by a lot of other talent. I would hope for the best if we took him but I am not sold on him being a great player. Maybe I'm wrong. If we take him then I hope I am! :)

Pandarilla likes this.
  21. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

The more I think about it, if we can't get either Evans, G. Robinson, Mosley or Shazier, I'm hoping for a trade-down.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  22. 13Machine8385

13Machine8385 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 2, 2014
    Any player that makes the offense more dynamic.

Cooks would be a nice pick, but I would rather see them take a big bodied WR. Jordan Matthews seems like a great fit in both his skill set and work ethic. Some say he is a second round pick but I doubt he would be there in the middle of round 2. It's hard to believe that I guy with his size, production, combine numbers, work ethic, and lack of a good QB in college wouldn't have him ranked higher.

I would not complain if we took Benjamin, Robinson, or Mason either. Mason is another player that I would expect to be ranked higher. Everything you would want in a RB and he runs hard.

23. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Jordan Matthews at the moment is fixing to be available in the 3rd round.

There's no way he goes 1st round.

24. RickyBobby

RickyBobby VIP DIY

Sep 22, 2009
    Palm beach
    one or the other in the 2nd...Niklas or4 WR Robinson?

Niklas could help blocking and a BIG target, Robinsob is just nice

25. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    No, I'd rather have Ebron.

26. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I'm a big Troy Niklas fan. But I couldn't pass up on Allen Robinson even for Troy Niklas.

Robinson has some pretty unique qualities that make me think he could even make an impact right away as he's got a combination of both physical and technical skills.

Technical skill can be a little overrated when it comes to producing as a rookie. It's often cited as the reason a guy can produce right away but it just hasn't been my experience that it works out that way a lot. I think technical skill tends to get coaches trusting a player and perhaps giving him opportunities, but it doesn't necessarily translate into efficient play.

For example you don't get much more technically competent than Robert Woods or Nuk Hopkins. But where they ended up producing 1.14 and 1.23 pass yards per pass snap, respectively, as well as 3 total TDs for Woods and 2 total TDs for Hopkins...it was Cordarrelle Patterson who produced 1.59 pass yards every pass play he was on the field with 9 total TDs. Similarly Tavon Austin produced 1.31 pass yards per snap with 7 total TDs. Those guys were physically dynamic, RAC oriented players that were technical neophytes. They produced more efficiently and made more game-changing plays.

That's why first I talk about the physical skills and RAC capabilities of a player in that position if I want to figure out his ability to make an impact immediately. Allen Robinson is a borderline RAC genius. There are some RAC plays he's made that just about compare with those of Cordarrelle Patterson. They're not quite on Patterson's level from a speed standpoint but they do show more power and strength than Cordarrelle did.

He is very big and physically compelling. He showed up at the Combine at 6'3" & 220 lbs with a 39 inch vertical, 10'7" broad jump and 4.00 shuttle. At his recent pro day he came in 208 lbs, did a 42 inch vertical and 10'11" broad jump, clocked somewhere between a 4.42 and 4.47 in the 40 with a 6.53 cone drill. Whichever weight you have him, he's physically very gifted.

The technical skill comes into his rookie projections because he's so physically compelling and has such compelling RAC film. Then all the sudden you start looking at the myriad routes that Bill O'Brien had Robinson running at Penn State, the different ways he used him and got the football into his hands, and you look at the fact that Robinson was taught by an NFL coach like O'Brien in the first place. Suddenly you're putting it all together and you have to be thinking that not only will this player show the physically compelling ability that makes big plays immediately but he'll probably also earn the coach's trust and earn a prominent place in the offense.

Anyway that's my line of thinking on Robinson.

RickyBobby, Da 'Fins and CWBIII like this.
  27. 13Machine8385

13Machine8385 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 2, 2014
    Does that make sense to you? Did you hear anything negative about his workouts? Why has his stock dropped after running a sub 4.5? If this is true then he will end up one of the great value picks in the draft. I would be inclined to snag him up in round 2 if he is still there.

The one drawback on him was always his perceived lack of speed and explosiveness but he had a great combine. It's pretty cool that his cousin is Jerry Rice also.

Regardless of his skill set, I guess we couldn't overpay for his market value. Cooks would be my pick and I'd still take Matthews in round 2 if he was still available. We need to score points.

28. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I don't know if his "stock" (i.e. media ratings) is falling so much as others are being evaluated as being better than him. And that's going to happen when you have so many juniors coming out. Incoming juniors don't enter the year on the media's radar because they're too young and too new into their production for the media to know about them. Word of their physical prowess via campus testings hasn't had much time to filter out to the media at that point either. You only start to get your arms around where those guys rate until they're going through the pre-Draft evaluation and testing process.

Look at the WR rankings on NFL Draft Scout:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/member...pos=WR&draftyear=2014&sortby=tsxpos&order=ASC

Notice all the asterisks. Each asterisk is an underclassman that declared for the Draft early. Essentially 13 of the top 14 wide receivers NFL Draft Scout has evaluated are underclassmen, and Jordan Matthews has fully maintained his position as the top senior WR prospect in the 2014 NFL Draft. No senior is ranked above him on that media list.

29. Canad-phin

Canad-phin Active Member

Oct 17, 2012
    Ck, Would you really want the Phins to draft a QB in the 1st?

30. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I wouldn't target a QB in that round but if one fell in my lap I don't really see why not.

If Tannehill had proven himself then that's one thing. He hasn't though. So get him some competition.

The QB position is so important that I think people regard it irrationally. They always want to imagine it's already filled, rather than going out and making certain it's filled. This is probably because everyone's optimistic about their teams. Everyone knows/thinks that if you don't have a QB then you're not truly in competition for a championship, and therefore imagining that your QB position is already filled is a way of being optimistic about your team's chances of competing.

But what's really the worst that can happen if you draft a QB in the 1st round with Tannehill already in the fold? If Tannehill works out then great, your team has found a franchise QB and it can compete at the highest level. That's not a bad outcome. You can probably trade Teddy Bridgewater or Blake Bortles down the road as there's plenty of history showing that QBs don't lose value easily if they are really worth something. The league is too hungry for them.

Really the worst outcome is that both QBs bust out...and if that happens then you're just as screwed as you would have been if you'd not taken the extra QB and Tannehill had busted out.

But what about the possibility that Teddy Bridgewater or Blake Bortles becomes a franchise QB and Ryan Tannehill doesn't? Then you'd certainly be glad you took the chance.

It's funny. When a team has a franchise QB they're willing to spend upwards of 10-15% of their annual salary cap on the player. When it comes to acquiring one via trade, if he's in his prime like Jay Cutler was they're willing to spend multiple 1st round picks plus that salary cap on the guy.

Yet when they don't have that QB, they squeeze their investment in the position down to a bare trickle of that amount. Suddenly, you're only spending one 1st round pick at a time, and then waiting three or four years to see if that works out.

I don't understand that approach, when you consider the position's importance. If anything I'm inclined to open up the flood gates and be INEFFICIENT (i.e. spend more than you normally would on a franchise QB) in my allocation of resources on the QB position until I've verified that I have one, at which point then I will focus on riding out the success of having acquired one.

31. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University

I agree in general, ofcourse a special talent like Keenan Allen is the exception to the rule. But I don't see anyone from a precision standpoint being anywhere near a Keenan available at 19. Except??? Marqis Lee. This guy is being vastly overlooked by many outlets, although I doubt many scouts are making that mistake. IMO Lee is a very good blend of technical ability as well as physical ability.

Why can't he be Philbins Randall Cobb.

32. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    This. and as much as I want Ebron, I would be thrilled with the OP's scenario...

33. 77FinFan

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Who?

34. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Given Robinson's size + athleticism + productivity at PSU with 97 for 1,400+ ... It is hard to imagine he will get out of the first round.

35. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I guess I don't really agree that Marqise Lee is very precise. I think that's actually been his problem at USC. Nelson Agholor came in not even knowing anything about the WR position because he was a RB in high school and one of the stories of 2013 was how Lee was seeking tips from Agholor on the nuances of the position because Agholor had embraced it so thoroughly and Lee never really did.

I think what Lee has that nobody else has is that 0 to 60 acceleration with his long arms and overall frame (only measures 6'0" but plays bigger). He's cat quick. But he's been a give-up player at times during his career and the NFL will butcher him if he doesn't change that way.

I've got him legit 2nd round but I've got both Brandin Cooks and Allen Robinson above him.

As for Keenan Allen I think perhaps I underestimated his physical prowess at 6'2" & 206 lbs. I knew he ran that 4.71 in the 40 still kind of hurt but I didn't know how hurt or how fast he'd be when/if healthy. I knew he wasn't a burner on tape but neither is Allen Robinson. I knew Keenan Allen was physically powerful and strong, just didn't have a good grasp of his speed which was definitely more significant than those 4.7's. He's good technically too, though a total primadonna.

36. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    If there are skeletons in Robinson's closet off the field a la Da'Rick Rogers then absolutely he could fall. I don't know of any though.

37. Phin5.0

Phin5.0 New Member

Feb 16, 2014
    I guess I'm the only one here that loves Kelvin Benjamin? I'm no FSU fan, I'm a UM guy, but Benjamin just about single handedly won FSU a National Championship AND a Heisman for Winston. I would love to pair him up with Wallace, have Gibson in the slot and get rid of Hartline and his $6M per year salary.

Provided, of course, we have a QB that can push the ball down the field. Which is why I'm also on board with the Dolphins grabbing a QB if one of the top guys is available at 19 as well. I think the mock drafts that have Manziel getting out of the first round are purely haters and have little basis in reality. The guy takes too many chances going for the big play? I'd rather have that then what we have had at QB which is a train of guys either too afraid to push the ball down the field or guys who don't because they are well aware of their weakness in doing so.

I really wish the Dolphins would grab another OG and OT in FA (there are some that are decent starting level players still available) and give us the opportunity to draft an impact player in the Top 20 and not be in a situation like 2004 where we absolutely had to draft Vernon Carey at #19 because we had no backup plan. Now, if a great player at OL falls to us unexpectedly, then I don't mind grabbing him. But I'm going to be sick if we just sit where we are and draft Martin just because. A decent but unspectacular player who is only continually being projected to us because he can play OG or OT and we need help at either position. If Robinson or Matthews are available at #19, I'm all for drafting either one because they shouldn't be available and that's just how the board went because of other team's needs. That would be great. But otherwise? Nah, I'll pass on Martin.

There's just too many holes on this team that can be filled with playmakers to waste a Top 20 pick on an OK player because it's a need. Let's remove the need and go grab a dynamic DB or a field stretching WR or a TE that can threaten defenses, an attacking LB or even a disruptive DT. Any of which should be available for us at #19.

38. RickyBobby

RickyBobby VIP DIY

Sep 22, 2009
    Palm beach
    I've only watched a few games but I'm sure I saw one of the WOW RAC plays you are talking about, although he shows great skill in that area on nearly every play he touches it. The play was a screen or something but he was running up the left sideline, looked back, and cut it all the way across field and making 2 defenders runs into each other. And another where he had about 7 guys in front of him on a screen to the right and cuts it all the way back.

He makes some real nice plays. I didn't know his measurables were that impressive. He compares favorably to kennan Allen, no?

39. Canad-phin

Canad-phin Active Member

Oct 17, 2012
    I agree with you it would be just be such a hard thing to swallow draft day. long term it makes so much sense but if guys like Robinson, Cooks or a very talented player that could help Ryan get better you'd think that's where you have to go. Long term it would probably be the smartes thing ever. Kind of like Rivers when they already had Bree's in SD.

40. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I don't think Brees/Rivers would really be comparable. The Chargers essentially had given up on Brees and had reason to, he was going into his fourth season and hadn't performed at the same level Tannehill did.

I don't know if there is really a good example of a guy being drafted high to challenge another high draft pick that the team still had serious hope in.