1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sports Buzz: draft notes, Dolphins invite WR Martavis Bryant to team HQ

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by jim1, Apr 6, 2014.

1. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The Dolphins, who will be aggressive in filling their right tackle need in the draft, continue to be heavily linked to Notre Dame tackle Zack Martin, and nobody will be surprised if he’s the pick at No. 19. But a team official says the Dolphins would be thrilled if they could somehow snag Michigan’s Taylor Lewan, who is projected by most analysts to be gone by their pick at No. 19. An associate of Lewan said he is aware of Miami’s interest.

The Dolphins might draft two tackles --– one early and one later. They flew to Delaware to private audition potential late-round pick Erle Ladson and will bring in Purdue late-round tackle Kevin Pamphile for a workout this week.

Among players auditioning for the Dolphins this coming week: Former FSU and Miami Central High running back Devonta Freeman, who ran for 1016 yards (5.9 per carry) and 14 touchdowns in 2013.

The Dolphins, deep at receiver, invited Clemson’s Martavis Bryant, a potential second-rounder, to visit team headquarters. He’s fast (fifth-fastest 40 time for a receiver at the Combine), has good size at 6-4, and caught 101 passes for 1464 yards and 12 touchdowns last season.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...re-heat-marlins-um-chatter.html#storylink=cpy

2. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    He gave Sammy Watkins' production to Martavis Bryant.

In actuality Bryant had 42 catches for 828 yards and 7 TDs.

jim1 likes this.
  3. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Wow. Gaff.

4. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    Hope Kiper's takes aren't on insider info. Ugh. Martin to Pittsburgh at 15 and Pryor to us at 19? Let's hope not.

5. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Agreed. At that point if possible trade back and try to get another pick somewhere. Or at 19 I'd take Cooks all day.

6. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Same article in the main forum, I didn't see it there.

7. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    If somehow we could get by without another OL in the first 3 rounds, this would be highly interesting to me:

1. WR Brandin Cooks
    2. OLB Kyle Van Noy
    3. WR Martavis Bryant

But I doubt it. Then again, if we get a stop gap at RT or the FO thinks that they can get a starting caliber RT in rd 4 or later, you never know. Maybe McKinnie's knee gets healthy and they squeeze another year out of him at RT. Add TE CJ Fiedorowicz in rd 4 and you have some solid upgrades there. Possible if we go late in draft:

5. OG Trai Turrner
    6. OT Matt Patchan
    7. OT Wesley Johnson or OG Zach Fulton

8. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Bryant does have potential. Id spend a second or third, preferably the latter.

9. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

I really like Van Noy. Nobody is talking him up much at the moment. Of course that doesn't mean teams aren't interested, but if he flies under the radar, I'd snatch him up.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk

jim1 likes this.
  10. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    especially if the rumors are true about keeping Jordan at DE, and even more especially if the rumors are true about moving Misi to MIKE.

11. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    On the subject of Martavis Bryant I think for a one-dimensional player he's got the makings of being dangerous with that one dimension, which is always a big deal because if that's not the case then you can't even play. That said I don't see him as a starter at the next level. There's too much Jon Baldwin there, which was a hard lesson to learn.

Bryant's playing speed in particular strikes me as slow. He's not compelling until he starts working those long, powerful strides vertically. Then he can find space and make catches at 6'4".

12. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Yes Kyle Van Noy is a good player. He doesn't get talked about simply because he's been at the top of radar for a while and there are other more fun and controversial subjects to tackle. The key though is Van Noy has maintained about the same rating he had when he made a bunch of waves last year, which is borderline R1/R2 status.

13. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

I see him in round 2. I think he has round 1 talent, but the combination of hype and need forces him down in my opinion. If teams really **** the bed, round 3,but I have that as a 1% chance.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk

14. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    I don't see Bryant as being slow, at all. The straight line speed is there, and what I saw on film was a player that could not only go up to get the tough catch but he had a burst, a striking one in a couple of examples that I saw. pretty much what I wanted to see in Kelvin Benjamin but never did. I don't see him as one dimensional, nor do I see him as being particularly instinctual. Physically and speed wise he sure does remind me of Julio Jones and AJ Green, just not as good. Those two are better route runners, quicker, more burst, better hands- let's face it, they were top ten picks for a reason- they're elite. But again, the burst and acceleration after the catch- that's what surprised me with Bryant, and Allen Robinson as well.

ps as to Streeter, no. He strikes me as a great example of a player who's size/speed numbers pop at about 6-5 215 and a 4.40 at the combine, but that just doesn't tell the whole story. Streeter has good straight line speed but his acceleration, quickness and burst simply lack- he reminds me more of a skinnier Kelvin Benjamin because each has a conspicuous lack of burst and separation ability. I didn't like Streeter coming out, I don't like him now wherever he is and I wouldn;t even think of taking him before Bryant in a draft, not a good comparison to Bryant imo.

15. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    What I'm thinking is

Jordan SOLB
    Misi MLB
    Van Noy WOLB

Mainly because, imo, Jordan will never achieve his potential at DE, and even though he's tailor made for a 3/4 he's better off at SOLB in a 4/3. Same reasons- he's better as a OLB run defender than a DE run defender, he has a history of struggling against OTs with his hand in the ground at the LOS and he's fantastic in space, could be great at covering taller seam busting TEs.

Wheeler and Ellerbe are write offs imo, money not well spent and they polluted the defense last year. Screw Wheeler, Van Noy would be great to step in WOLB. Work Jenkins in there, but from the college film I saw he's a situational coverage LB, just not good enough against the run and a liability there.

The question is Misi, and whether or not you take a SOLB who is less than dynamic but solid, excellent at setting the edge, and move him to MLB. I'd say yes if he could be replaced by Jordan, with Van Noy at WOLB.

This intrigues me:

1. Zack Martin
    2. Kyle Van Noy
    3. Martavis Bryant
    4. Weston Richburg

Bottom line- Wheeler and Ellerbe are nauseating, just awful FA investments who cost millions and sucked on the field. Just awful. I'd rather have Misi in the middle and Jordan/Van Noy outside, pick up another DE like Gayle or Chris Smith from Arkansas. If it got Wheeler and Ellerbe off the field, hell I'd rather have the guy that CK mentioned Eddie Lackey in the middle, or maybe even outside in place of Wheeler. OL is the overriding concern this year, but Jeff Ireland trashed the LB position, it's a sore spot that won't go away until Wheeler and Ellerbe are off the field and out the door. No one is faster or quicker at OLB than Jordan. Our current WOLB, Philip Wheeler, sucks. Jordan is a better OLB than DE, and he struggled to get playing time last year. To me, the solution is simple, and it solves multiple problems.

16. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I said slow playing speed, there's a difference.

We're talking about every snap effort, every snap playing speed and quickness. I see low playing speed with Martavis Bryant.

I see these comparisons being whipped out (Julio Jones, A.J. Green, etc) that are crazy even if they are being constantly qualified.

The comparison I see is Tommy Streeter.

17. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    6-4, 211, ran a 4.42 at the combine, has a burst and will go up and get the ball. Similarities are there, and the qualifications are necessary. No one is saying that Bryant is equal to Jones or Green, so there's no need for you to run with the ball on that one. He's a solid and intriguing prospect, not an elite one.

18. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    This is really good news