1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sports Buzz : Dolphins NFL draft chatter:

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by CrunchTime, Apr 6, 2014.

1. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    This edition includes a lot of interesting tidbits as to the direction the Dolphins will take in the upcoming draft.

There are many prospects mentioned.Its worth a read :yes:

Da 'Fins, Unlucky 13, smahtaz and 4 others like this.
  2. Killer Bees

Killer Bees Bringin' the Ruckus

Aug 14, 2011
    Yeah I think we're just gonna' have to accept the boring pick and grab a tackle in the 1st, it's such a need. I'll be happy with a T or a LB, don't know who exactly. Haven't looked into this years prospects as much as I have in the past, but hey that's what the draft forum's for lol.

3. Brasfin

Brasfin Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil
    Looks like it's gonna be like the 2011 draft when we picked up Pouncey. Everyone and their mother knew we had a need at center and were probably going to pick up Pouncey, and that's exactly what did, no surprises.

4. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Fine with me. that allows us to go from 1 good linemen to potentially 4, then stick in Thomas or Garner at the 5th position. throw in Moreno and Lazor we have a transformed offense. look forward to us scoring 24 points or more, definitely more than 3 times we did it last season.

Da 'Fins and smahtaz like this.
  5. firedan

firedan Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    palm beach county fl
    If Lewan is available I hope they take a chance on him although with his off field issues they more than likely won't.

6. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    He gave Sammy Watkins' production to Martavis Bryant.

In actuality Bryant had 42 catches for 828 yards and 7 TDs.

7. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    It is what it is, we are going Tackle or Guard in the 1st or 2nd. I wouldn't be shocked if we trade up to make sure we get one. If they are all gone we will probably try to trade down and maybe pickup an extra T/G in the 2nd, 3rd to make sure someone can start this year.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  8. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    There's nothing boring about drafting O Linemen, at this point it's the only thing preventing us from being a playoff team.

Da 'Fins and MAFishFan like this.
  9. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I would be significantly more impressed/excited if we traded back and took Morgan Moses instead.

10. Killer Bees

Aug 14, 2011
    Sorry but it is. Think about last years draft, how much more exciting was it when we traded up to take Dion Jordan instead of Lane Johnson.

11. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    And look how well that turned out...

thisperishedmin and Puka-head like this.
  12. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    At worst inconclusively?

13. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I see Barry fixed the stat mistake.

14. Larry Little

Larry Little Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Last year, we had a thread going to report which prospects the Phins were bringing in for visits. That thread had so much great info from you local guys, and from the draft gurus here. Do we have one going this year? Have I just missed it?

15. FanMarino

FanMarino Season Ticket Holder

Nov 24, 2007
    That and some decent LB production. Add Jordan into that.

16. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I would take a chance on Taylor Lewan if he dropped..he's a tough sob, and I don't care if hes a bit risky, we need that kind of demeanor on this club.

17. RickyBobby

RickyBobby VIP DIY

Sep 22, 2009
    Palm beach
    Moses-niklas-Joyner-Wesley Johnson

18. finfansince72

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    The owner is seemly vouching for him, I'd have to think if he fell we'd take him.

19. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

If we take Moses at 19, I am sure we will not be taking the BPA regardless of position, and it is gonna give me a mild Billy Milner feeling. Passing up guys like Derrick Brooks and Bobby Taylor because they were not positions of need like right tackle was. It would have been better to have gotten by with Delly at RT in 1995 after Heller went out, and took either Brooks or Taylor. Patching holes through the draft is not the way to approach it.

20. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    and ppl wonder why the league is populated with crappy/loser franchises.

21. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Yeah, but I'm thinking about how exciting it was to see Tannehill still alive after yet another sack.

Rick 1966 and MAFishFan like this.
  22. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    I'm hoping a year in the system will improve the LB play bc we are pretty much stuck w the current group for this year.

23. Ludacris

Ludacris Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jan 8, 2008
    If Taylor Lewan and Zack Martin are both gone I think CJ Mosley should be the pick.

24. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I remember the early 90s when I started following the draft, and thought that it was so boring when the Fins took OL high. Especially when most of the draft wasn't televised, and thats all that I got to see. Now, if they take Martin (as a G) in round one and a good RT in round 2, I'll be pumped. Fix the OL, give Tannehill and the rest of the "skill" players on offense time and space to work, and we'll truely know when we have. We get better or start over after 2014 (barring huge injuries).

Without fixing the OL, I don't see how last year's problems get fixed and we truely have a read on what we already have.

LiferYank and M1NDCRlME like this.
  25. finfansince72

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    I'm kind of lost with the whole "exciting draft pick" discussion. I mean if we get a stud RT with our 1st rounder thats boring? I mean what does that mean? If our front office has ever had a serious discussion about whether or not a pick is exciting then they should all be fired immediately.

GMJohnson and Puka-head like this.
  26. Killer Bees

Aug 14, 2011
    Their is nothing wrong with taking a tackle in the draft. Obviously the front office isn't talking about excitement when choosing who to draft, it's the fans that bring the excitement. We need a Tackle desperately so I am all for it but to me drafting an offensive lineman doesn't get me as pumped as drafting other positions.

27. Killer Bees

Aug 14, 2011
    No I get that for sure, we have to do it. For me I guess it's the skill players that get me pumped when it comes to draft day.

28. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    I'm all for dropping down and taking a guy like Moses in the early 2nd. Pick up an extra pick or 2.

Lee2000 likes this.
  29. Lee2000

Lee2000 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    I think if a guy like Bridgewater is still available at 19, a team like Cleveland could trade up. I think Miami would love a situation where two or more of the first round qbs is still around at their pick. Lots of possibilities there.

30. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Thoughts on Bryant? He is generating a lot of interest and emerging from Watkins shadow with his stats.

31. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Be careful with this value-oriented thinking. It can bite you.

Think about it this way. Go through past draft results, pick for pick, and get a true feel for how widely varied the results of each pick are relative to one another. You take one guy at 14 and he looks on his way to the Hall of Fame. The guy at 13 was a complete bust. The guy at 15 is a quality starter, the guys at 16 and 17 both total busts, the guy at 18 a pro bowler, the guys at 19 thru 21 flip between sometime starters but not always good ones, and 22 is a total bust.

Given the wide variance in success, why does it make sense to twist nipples over whether a guy looks good to be taken at 19 overall versus looking a lot better at 28 or 29 overall? If you have conviction in the right guy the chances are he's going to look just as fine at 19 as he did at 29.

In my business it would be like operating an investment strategy with a long term time horizon and nitpicking that you can't get into the stock because it's $24.50 and you really want it to be trading into the $23 range for the investment to make sense. Or it would be like rushing through your research on the stock because it's trading at $23 today and you're not sure it'll be trading there next week. Sure if you're flipping stocks over short term then yes, be extra discerning about the price. But if you plan on holding the stock for 3 years then buying it today is likely just as good as buying it last week or buying it two weeks from now.

We're not working with tightly packed results where the marginal extra success of one pick versus another is what creates the winning team. We're operating in an environment where one guy is going to actually detract from your performance because he's an awful player and you're still going to give him snaps simply because of his draft standing, whereas the guy taken one pick after him is a borderline Hall of Fame player. That's the environment within which we operate.

So I say if Morgan Moses is your guy and you've got conviction in it then why you waiting for the late 20's or early 30's to get him?

(by the way the draft results I spoke of with picks 13 thru 22 weren't made up, I described the 2007 draft)

32. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Faster than quick. Long strider. A classic deep threat due to his combination of height and speed. Poor playing speed. Not good quickness. Hands are merely OK.

One-dimensional guys like him need to be stellar with that one dimension in order to work out even to a marginal degree and I think he's probably got what it takes for that...but I don't think he's got what it takes to be a starter.

ToddPhin and cuchulainn like this.
  33. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    well, in all fairness to the guys in the trenches, better protection and improved run blocking allows for more exciting plays that we love so much.

34. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I agree with all this most def. Only reason I'd want to trade back for Moses would be to acquire an extra pick, even if it's just a short trade back for an extra 5th.

35. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    plus the biggest concern of all- when or will his light ever come on, b/c to date he's embodied everything you think of regarding a contract year player, if that.

ckparrothead likes this.
  36. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    I love dirty talk.

37. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Of course you'd do that if A) you can even get someone interested in that trade, and B) you're reasonably sure you can still get your guy. But how many teams are operating with that exact same mentality and how many get what they want?

There's something to be said for the system thing with Moses having worked with Lazor before, the familiarity increasing the chances that he's a successful draft pick. Would it be swinging the bat aiming for a homerun? No. Not in my opinion. And if there is a potential homerun available then I'm not sure I'd want to go the route of taking a Morgan Moses. But at the same time if you treat that one pick as a need pick and then from there in the 2nd thru 7th rounds you really are swinging for the fences...maybe that strikes a good balance. Who knows? There's not just one way to do this.

38. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    all good points. It's odd that Lazor has ties to Moses but we haven't heard anything about Miami ostensibly showing interest in him. Is there a chance he's a hush-hush target?

39. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    We weren't linked to Dion Jordan (or many others from the last draft.) Also, Hickey is a first time GM with no history to go off of.

I understand we're all going to speculate and everything, but so much is being said with conviction by posters here, I'm just not sure ANYTHING can be said for certain at this point.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  40. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    If Taylor Lewan dropped to 19 (which is highly unlikely, imo) I don't think it would be taking a "chance" at all to draft him. He's had some off-field question marks but those are very sketchy and uncertain. I'd argue he's no more of a "chance" than a majority of the players we might draft in round 1 if we really knew who those guys were (think Mike Pouncey when we drafted him).

We should be so lucky to get Lewan but he will not be there at 19. Odds are against him getting out of the top 10, let alone him getting out of the top 15. If he dropped into the 15 range, I think we'd have to try to trade up and get him - depending on other talent around.

77FinFan likes this.