1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Save the Dates! 60+ April Premieres and Finales

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by NaboCane, Apr 1, 2014.

1. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    Raising Hope and Being Human being cancelled. I can see Being Human because the show took a left turn last season and never came back, but Raising Hope is so damn funny.

Fin D likes this.
  2. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    2 shows I love. I knew Hope was going down because they moved it to Friday which is usually the death knell for a show. Being Human, I don't know what the left turn your talking about is, but I was worried that show was gonna go because the budget has to be astronomical and it would have to be super highly rated to justify the costs. Both are a shame.

3. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Sad to hear about Raising Hope this week too. I only watch six or seven shows and it was one of them. Funny show, and it didn't take itself too seriously at all. They knew it was a cheap, silly comedy and rolled with it. They got four years in though, which is more than most shows that I enjoy.

4. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    I thought Being Human went from their struggles to be "normal" to some weird stuff that had too much going on with Sally and her spells, coming back to life, ect... I liked it more when Biship was there trying to run Aidan, and Josh was trying to fight the wolf. Not a fan of Sally's time travelong storyline. I still like the show, but that was the left turn I was talking about.

Fin D likes this.
  5. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    A great irony of TV programming is similar shows like 'Being Human' and 'Intelligence' being set up against each other on the same night, and one being cancelled while the other is almost a lock to be cancelled soon.

What a failure of imagination by TV execs. It's like the Friday night black hole that Fox keeps relegating its sci-fi shows to; It's a strategy which has failed ONE HUNDRED PERCENT over the years, yet they keep doing it.

6. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Not entirely true. The X Files was on Friday night for years and did well. And as someone who never "goes out", I'm always frustrated that there's usually very little on TV.

7. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    That's an entire generation ago. Different world; vastly different.

I'm a homebody too, and I could say the same as you. But we're in the minority, therefore not the bulk of the target audience. We're the exception. You don't make money targeting the exception, unless you're a boutique network like Bravo or ID.

8. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    You're right of course, but I remember the exact same arguments being made back then that are happening now. That a show simply cannot suceed in that slot. I think the truth is that it really just has to be the right show. Which, on Friday night, means something that appeals to those those who'll be watching. For example, my wife watches Grim, and it does pretty well. The storyline doesn't appeal all that much to me, but its a really well made show, and designed to appeal I think to women in their 30's-40s.

Mass appeal is generally missed on me. I looked at the top 100 shows last week, and I watch just one of the top 50, and 4 in the top 100, most nearer the bottom. TV today has gone in one of two directions - cheap and stupid, and dark and uber serious, neither which is my cup of tea.

NaboCane likes this.
  9. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Fridays have been making a bit of a comeback lately and has been used to save shows that otherwise would have been canceled even earlier (Nikita, Raising Hope etc). Grimm has absolutely thrived there and I don't think it would have any other night. Hawaii 5-0 got a renewal for season 5 despite being on Fridays.

What I love is BBC showing stuff on Saturdays. Orphan Black, Doctor Who etc.

I liked both versions of Being Human unfortunately they both took major turns for the worse. That Sally storyline was utter crap.

Sad that Community finishes so fast. This season has been excellent with Harmon back compared to the crap that was season 4.

10. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    I love the Grimm show too. Glad it's a mainstay.

11. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Community is my favorite show, but unfortunately, another short season next year looks to be a best case scenerio. Why more people don't watch and enjoy the show confounds me just as much as the HUGE ratings other shows get, when you couldn't pay me to sit though them.

12. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Six Season and a movie!

13. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    I'm the same. I watch a few more than you, but not many. When TV Line does general Q&As, I find myself skipping over about 80% of the subjects to find "my" shows.

I like original ideas, or innovative takes on existing themes; 'Grimm' is a good example. Take something that everyone knows as one thing, add an unexpected element—that Grimms are a family or society dedicated to fighting threats from malevolent "Wesen" from the fairy tales (which, in this world, are not fairy tales at all) and bring them into the present day. Then, complicate things by having most Wesen actually be pretty cool and not bad guys at all, and you have a very clever treatment and something new out of something that no one had gotten anything innovative out of in generations. Pretty ****ing brilliant concept, and the execution is one of those unusual confluences of a great ensemble cast with good writing and a proper budget. It adds up to a big hit.

Note how flat the new treatment of 'Dracula' fell; a good idea, to re-imagine the legend in an innovative way, but the premise they chose was all wrong, plus the writing was poor. So it circles the bowl, while 'Grimm' (its lead-in) gets an early renewal for a full 22 episodes.

Friday time slots are good for narrow-focus shows that target a smaller, more intense audience; especially for smaller networks that can live with a smaller definition of "success" in terms of share and ratings. They work less well for the major networks, who tend to view the shows relegated to Fridays against their blockbuster counterparts on the same networks. The "smaller" shows generate less ad revenue and tend to be cut for budget reasons, no matter how popular they are in their genre.

That an excellent show like 'Fringe' only got five seasons is obscene; the same fate would have swallowed up 'Stargate' and it never would have lasted ten seasons, plus two spinoffs had it debuted on a broadcast network. 'Fringe' should, by virtue of quality, have been a franchise with similar longevity to 'Stargate' or 'X-Files'. But it was a redheaded stepchild at Fox, killer of great scifi.

When I was a teen, the Saturday night lineup was 'All in the Family,' 'Maude,' 'The Mary Tyler Moore Show' and 'The Bob Newhart Show.' An all-TV Hall of Fame lineup. So I'm glad to see some quality programming creeping in there.

ToddPhin and Unlucky 13 like this.