1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hickey may Draft Qb

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dolfan40, Apr 1, 2014.

1. dolfan40

dolfan40 Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2013
    Germany
    Not an April Fool...

Dolphins GM Dennis Hickey would like to draft a QB in this years draft...and if Teddy Bridgewater is still on the board at 19, Hickey won't hesitate to pull the switch, Hickey would like a QB competition in this years Fins camp per Peter King of SI.

2. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    No thanks at Terry Bridgewater... if Murray is there in the third/fourth round I would be tempted.

3. LiferYank

LiferYank New Member

Oct 1, 2012
    I'm willing to be most inside info coming out before the draft are smoke screens.

MikeHoncho likes this.
  4. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I'm a huge proponent of throwing plenty of resources at the QB position and not stopping until it's completely, without question addressed. Like the Seahawks have done. That being said, given Tannehill's progression from 2012 to 2013 spending a first round pick on the position would be a mistake. A mid rounder for competition? All for it.

Aquafin, dolfan22, Puka-head and 3 others like this.
  5. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Hickey "may" also go for a kicker in round 1.

6. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Competition to be the backup? Yeah I'm all for it. No need to pay Moore 4+ Million if you don't have to. But if there's competition for the starting job then that basically means you don't have a good QB.

ToddPhin likes this.
  7. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    Actually if you believe the axiom that you draft the BPA as Hickey proposes ,we may draft any and all positions except ST players .

Aquafin likes this.
  8. Eop05

Eop05 Junior Member Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    I'm optimistic about Tannehill for sure. And I believe he was somewhat the victim of circumstance last year.

But relatively speaking in comparison with the 31 other starting QBs, I wouldn't classify him as good yet. Maybe Hickey thinks this way as well.

9. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Could we get a link? I'd love to read what King wrote.

10. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    This better be a smokescreen.

MAFishFan likes this.
  11. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    If we spend a 1st on a QB, none of whom are the prospect Tannehill is, I would take the metaphorical crap in a paper bag and light it on fire on Hickey's door step.

For **** sake if Tannehill were in this year's draft he'd be the first QB selected and would likely go #1 overall. That's how dumb it would be to draft a QB at 19. Just a terrible misuse of resources to spend such a valuable pick on a probable backup when the rest of the roster is in need of upgrading if we want to become a sniffer of the post season.

I can say with confidence that only an idiot would be looking this soon to replace Tannehill rather than focusing first on giving him the tools to succeed- like providing adequate pass protection or another weapon at WR or TE. If the goal is to use the 1st pick to improve the passing game, it'd make infinitely more sense to add Odell Beckham to Tannehill's arsenal than to go with Bridgewater with our current group alone. Give Tannehill a dynamic, playmaking receiver out of the slot in the Victor Cruz type mold.

12. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    if Bridgewater made it to 19 that'd be tremendous value.

dolfan32323 and PapaC like this.
  13. JamesyEsq

JamesyEsq Active Member

Jan 10, 2012
    England
    I would only be interested in Manziel at 19, whenever you get a chance with a potential great QB you do it until you are certain you have a great QB. Nobody can be certain Tannehill will be that yet

14. scotty_irnbru

scotty_irnbru Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Dundee, Scotland
    See the two above posts from snips and jamesy tell it all. One vote for Bridgewater, one for manziel. No consensus thus the maxim must apply, if you have two qbs, you don't have a qb. Tannehill has earned the chance to lead this team. A development project we could pick up. I'd be ok with that.

RevRick and MAFishFan like this.
  15. JamesyEsq

JamesyEsq Active Member

Jan 10, 2012
    England
    By you same point its obvious there is no consensus Tannehill will be the QB for the next 10 years... unless you're 100% sure of that, keep drafting the best QB, you can assemble the best o-line ever but unless you have a potential HOF QB... whats the point? you wont win.

16. scotty_irnbru

Oct 12, 2013
    Dundee, Scotland
    You don't need a potential HOF qb to win. As much as I like flacco and Wilson I don't think they'll have Brady or manning careers. Shuffling the deck again and again hoping to turn an ace is one strategy but I'm a believer in letting the player grow. We aren't 'win now'. We don't have an ancient team. We're young throughout so let's build and grow as a team.

MAFishFan and Unlucky 13 like this.
  17. JamesyEsq

JamesyEsq Active Member

Jan 10, 2012
    England
    Just because you draft a QB in the first round does not mean he has to start and force Tannehill out... its competition and the best man will win. If it doesn't work out you take it on the chin and write the 1st round pick off, its not a big a deal as most people make out, i would rather gamble on two 1st round QBs battling it out to take the team forward than hoping on one.

18. scotty_irnbru

Oct 12, 2013
    Dundee, Scotland
    I understand the principle of bpa but if our choice is cooks or benjamin or even mike evans or manziel, who gives us the best chance to win long term? It's a genuine question, I don't know. I'd rather see our very promising young qb paired with a very promising young wr and see what magic we can create.

19. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Is there a link to this quote by King?

20. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Only guy I would consider taking that early is if somehow Bortles dropped.. But I think he will be the first quarterback selected. The guy's talent is off the charts..

21. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Thats very possible, but I don't think anyone who can really push RT will be available at 19, too many QB hungry teams for it to happen IMO.

22. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    I'd love to see KB or Evans on the team, I'm pretty sure our current WRs would not.

23. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Wait. I thought Ross was going to meet with Marino?

24. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    How 'bout we just get a QB coach who has more then 1 yr of expierence

thisperishedmin likes this.
  25. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Doubtful. If Lazor had an issue with Taylor, he probably would have insisted on a change upon his hiring. Regardless, it isn't like you'd find another QB Coach who would know the offense Lazor is putting in.

Taylor may have gotten the job thru nepotism, but there's no indication that the team, or Lazor, is unhappy with him.

26. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    While Tannehill is not perfect, I think the fact that he improved tremendously from 2012 says a lot about our QB coach. Just sayin'.

27. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    I think a GM has to go with his convictions. IF Hickey thinks Bridgewater is the best Qb prospect in the draft and a franchise talent at the Qb position then he has to take him if he becomes available. Hickey didn't draft Tannehill so he owes him nothing. IF Bridgewater is that high up Hickey's draft board then he should take him if he's available. Do I necessarily agree with that? Probably not but I can't fault him if thats his evaluation. Tannehill hasn't done enough to be untouchable by any means. I do like Tannehill for the record, I'm just saying that Hickey has his job at stake, I'm a guy with an opinion on the internet, if he is willing to risk his job on taking Bridgewater at 19 because he feels that strongly then so be it. I don't think I'd be a fan but hey if he takes Bridgewater at 19 and the guy is the next great young Qb no one will be faulting him. If not then he's joining Ireland on the unemployment line.

28. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    And somehow these two do. Good god it's Ben Johnson's first yr and he has zero NFL experience...is this really the mentality here in Finland. (not referring to you personally) Taylor has exactly 1 yr. I just think it takes more to WIN. I am trying to figure it out. Why would you draft a project and then literally get him coaches that most likely know less then Tannehill does. How is that setting the team up for success. I am well aware Lazer was a QB coach. His job is not QB coach now it's Offensive Coordinator.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  29. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Really? What does it say? I'm not trying to be an *** I just don't understand what it says other then he now has exactly 1 yr of NFL experience. His assistant Ben Johnson has no NFL Exp.

What could these two possibly teach Ryan Tannehill. Ryan Tannehill has more NFL experience then both of them combined

30. cuchulainn

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    You're worked up over the freaking QB coach? lol... and your math is way off. Taylor was the QB coach at T&AM for several years. This will also be his 3rd here in the pros.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Fin D likes this.
  31. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    With all due respect My Math is not off. Zac Taylor has exactly 1 yr NFL exp

http://www.miamidolphins.com/team/coaches/Zac-Taylor/3d02dc0d-9adf-4e43-bed9-b06640add7d1

Zac Taylor enters his first season with the Dolphins after being named assistant quarterbacks coach on January 30, 2012.

Taylor joins the Dolphins from Texas A&M University, where he served as the offensive graduate assistant and tight ends coach.

Taylor spent time with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers after being signed as an undrafted college free agent on April 29, 2007, but was waived prior to the start of training camp. He then joined the Winnipeg Blue Bombers of the Canadian Football League in the fall of 2007.

The 2006 Big 12 Player of the Year as a quarterback at Nebraska, Taylor passed for more than 2,700 yards on the season and led the Cornhuskers to a 9-3 record and an appearance in the Big 12 Championship Game.

Am I missing something? You want to win right?

32. cuchulainn

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Lol... win what?

Asst or not, he's been the guy credited as the QB coach. We watched him on HK in 2012 and he had the same duties and role in 2013. He'll have the same role this coming season. No idea why you're so worked up about him, but knock yourself out champ.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

MrClean and Fin D like this.
  33. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    I think the idea is to win super-bowl. Maybe you might not know what that is?

I mean its only been 41 yrs since this team has won one. At this rate it'll be another 41.

It's all good dude . No sweat. Have a great night!!

34. cuchulainn

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    None of us have any true idea how well, or how poorly, Taylor is as a QB coach. I agree that he didn't deserve the job, but he has it and there is has been nothing negative reported. I don't follow your line of thought on whether or Taylor is going make or break winning a SB. The purpose of the position is to advance the QB. Tannehill has shown progress, but other areas - like play calling and OLine play have regressed.

The weak links on the coaching staff were Sherman and Turner, both of who were replaced... and if we miss the playoffs again, Philbin should be axed too.

Thanks. Enjoy your night as well.

mlb1399 likes this.
  35. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I would be totally and completely devestated if we took a QB in round 1. Worse than I felt when we took Ginn in 07. And its not even like the guys in this years' class are looked at as sure things. All of them are big question marks. I look at Bortles as a gamble the way that Tannehill was himself. Worth it in the 10-15 range, but there's risk. I look at Bridgewater as a 2nd round type of guy, and I simply wouldn't draft Manziel.

To further the point that others have made, the team also NEEDS to win in 2014, or else pretty much everyone will be out of a job. Why would Hickey take a player who, even if he thought his long term ceiling was higher than Tannehill, would almost certainly play worse than the league average this coming season, when the team desperately needs to have MULTIPLE draft picks come in and help right away turn an 8 win team into a 10 win team? Its suicide.

Its like some of you are gobbling up the total BS that Omar has been spewing like its candy.

I'd be happy to see the team take a QB in the 4th or 5th if the value was there to replace Moore as a cheaper long term backup, but thats it. This isnt a team that just went 4-12 and looked helpless along the way. Its one that needs a few more pieces to take the step from average to good. Sheesh.

MAFishFan likes this.
  36. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Where the **** is the link to this anyway?

37. Puka-head

Puka-head My2nd Fav team:___vs Jets Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Slightly left of center
    What's a season worth? 4 million? Easy right. I may be in the minority but I'm used to that. But...
    If there is a better back up Qb out there who is it? Who do you think could come in cold, win a game in the 3rd qtr and maybe the next 2-3 games while Tannehill recovers from the concussion its amazing he never got last yr. I think there is nobody better or better prepared than Matt Moore right now. That's worth 4 mil easy.

If we can draft a Qb mid to late great but they just resigned Devlin. I don't see a Qb in the draft for us.

77FinFan likes this.
  38. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Yeah, I don't want Terry Bridgewater either, whoever he is.

MAFishFan likes this.
  39. MrClean

I am not convinced of that to be true. What we now know about Tanny, yes maybe, but the Tanny going into the 2012 draft did not look to be any more of a sure thing than Bortles, Bridgewater or Manziel do now IMO.

40. MrClean

Johnson and Taylor have each been coaching for the Dolphins for 2 years. If you refer to playing experience, there are many great coaches throughout the league who have no NFL playing experience.