1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is everyone's opinion on the new pope?

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by Fin D, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Just curious, i'd love to hear from some Catholics.

2. Ohiophinphan

Ohiophinphan Chaplain Staff Member Luxury Box

I am a Protestant (Lutheran) but I will say, I find him refreshing and very much on point. His emphasis on mission and ministry and not on structure is a strong statement in the right direction. Humility and passion are appreciated!

dolphindebby and Fin D like this.
  3. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I'm a non-religious person who's from a family of Catholics. So far, he seems inclined to accept reality and deal with the real world a whole lot better than his predecesors, and he at least says some good things about helping those in need. On the surface, a big step in the right direction, IMO.

Ohiophinphan and Fin D like this.
  4. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Expecting an atheist pope would be dumb. I'm big on pragmatic social justice and he's honestly the best you can expect when you think about how deep and far back Catholic and Christian theology goes as someone who doesn't follow religion.

I'm also more inclined to accept religious people because that's all I live with in my country.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk

finyank13 and Fin D like this.
  5. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Love him.....guy so far is great, getting back to what religion as a whole was intended to be.....

Especially love that he ****canned the "Bling Bishop". I would also like to see him go after more priest or anybody for that matter that used their priesthood to bully and/or commit crimes against others, specifically minors.

6. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    ... unzips

McLovin likes this.
  7. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    I am really trying to resist an Argentine ethnic joke here, guys. The setup is just too tempting. But I will resist.

The Church needed a non-European Pope, as it needed a non-Italian Pope when John Paul II was elected. You have to love a humble guy who has been active in the world beyond Europe sitting in the Chair of Peter. I especially like his emphasis on the Church serving the less fortunate. Sounds like something Jesus said...

Fin D and Ohiophinphan like this.