1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How should we attack this draft..Sexy vrs unsexy?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by djphinfan, Mar 25, 2014.

1. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Some folks feel we should fill our holes in free agency, maybe a trade, maybe a cut vet in camp, so we can attack the draft from a skill position perspective.

Some feel like this years the year to go full metal on the oline, maybe even drop the first two picks on oline, address that line and put talented players there instead of filling some holes with some older vets.

So answering this question tells me where your at..which one would you take.

A). Brandin Cooks and Tre Mason.

B) Zack Martin and Troy Nicklas.

C) Zack Martin..Shayne Skov

I wouldn't be upset with any of them, but what kind of team do you wanna be?

Obviously B gives us a better oline without spending the first two picks on two Olineman, Nicklas is that inline tight end we need, with skills..

C, gives us that player I think we desperately need on defense, that emotional void that is very vivid year after year playing in the morgue, it also solidifies one of the oline positions for 8 years with a very good player..kinda of a balanced approach, safe but absolutely needed.

A, makes us explosive, fun, ability to score some points off simple plays..but will Ryan have the time to find his weapons.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  2. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    You've got to take the best players available if you can reasonably use them. I'm not sure who it really is on the list, but I'd prefer the team be in a position where it can fill whatever holes without having to spend picks.

3. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Of those three options, I'd go with A personally. I think adding those weapons to Tannehill's arsenal improves the team and allows them to score 30 points or more in more than one game in 2014. If I knew Ja'Wuan James was the 3rd pick in that scenario after Cooks and Mason, then pull the trigger.

That said, I feel like their inclination may be towards what I'd consider option D:

C.J. Mosley or Ryan Shazier at 1 and then Morgan Moses at 2 and someone like C.J. Fiedorowicz at 3. I'm basing that off of them sniffing around Knowshon Moreno and the rumored meeting in Orlando with Maurice Jones-Drew's reps. If they sign one of those two, then I think RB takes a backseat to OL, LB, and probably another WR or TE.

Just for fun, if I were making a mock draft of Miami as things stand right now assuming no other free agents are signed before the draft:

1. Ryan Shazier
    2. Morgan Moses
    3. C.J. Fiedorowicz
    4. Jeremy Hill
    5. Caraun Reid
    6. John Urshcel
    7. - Traded to Baltimore -

I know that's pretty "meat and potatoes" but they all relatively fit needs.

4. Claymore95

Claymore95 Working on it... Club Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Peebles, Scotland
    I'd go with the fun, explosive A over the others, we've just not got enough players that are difference makers, plus I still reckon we can pick up one or two capable linemen later in the draft, and then sign a couple of the FA vets that are left to tide us over this season. I know the OL has got to be fixed, but I still struggle to see us doing it all in one offseason, and in the meantime I want us to add some playmakers to make watching this team fun again.

5. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I don't think Zack Martin deserves to be in two of these options.

People are running away with this idea that he's an extremely safe football player...because I think that's the role they want him to play in their head.

But you really have to stop and think about this for a second. Zack Martin was a left tackle at Notre Dame. All but 2 games of his 51 game career came at left tackle for the Irish, with the other 2 games being right tackle way back in 2010 as a freshman.

But Zack Martin is not going to be the left tackle of the Miami Dolphins. The Dolphins just paid $26 million guaranteed money to the man that will be their left tackle.

So you're now looking at Zack Martin as a left guard or right tackle. Unless you've seen those 2 games of his at right tackle, you've never seen him play either position. And even if you've seen those 2 games he was just a freshman and they're practically meaningless.

You've never seen him play the position you want him to play in the pros...and this is supposed to be a SAFE pick for the Dolphins?

What exactly is safe about that? You've not seen him dig big defensive tackles out of a hole in drive blocking as a left guard. You've not seen him pull much on power plays. He's done it some, personally I don't believe he's looked all that great at it.

Here's the bottom line. Move the guy to left guard and you don't even know that he's any better than Shelley Smith, whom you bought off the bargain shelves during the latter stages of free agency.

Move the guy to right tackle and you don't know if he looks like a fish out of water because he prefers one side to the other.

Repeating the words for emphasis: YOU DON'T KNOW

Unknowns are the diametric opposite of safe when it comes to picking players in the draft.

I'm not picking on DJ or anyone in particular. This is a PLURAL sentiment that I see out there right now...that Zack Martin is this infinitely safe pick.

I just don't really know if that's true. JaWuan James is probably a safer pick for what Miami would want him to do. He's also a damn fine football player.

Clark Kent and ssmiami like this.
  6. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I think that C is a good choice. Skov is probably my second favorite MLB in the draft, and I think that OL is a necessity in the first two rounds. Without fixing the rest of the OL, 2014 is going to have a hard time being all that much better than 2013. Without better blocking, Tannehill, Wallace and the running game are all going to have a rough time getting to where they need to be. The team can go a lot of ways and make me happy, but I think that at a minimum a tackle or guard needs to be taken in the second round.

7. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I say it because the way he moves and locates, the way he run blocks, gets to the 2nd level, I don't see any reason to over complicate it or drop him in the draft if you need him for a different position than what he played in college..

If he's there he's the best Olineman that will be available when we pick, we need two positions at this point..that's why I used the word safe.

the 23rd and Da 'Fins like this.
  8. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    I agree on Martin just not being worth it at 19. His size would also concern me - narrow frame, short arms, meh. This is a draft that certainly has 20 maybe even 25 better prospects, imo, regardless of need.

To pick and choose from your list...I'd take Mason at 19, and then Niklas in the 2nd, which would be considered a 'fall' for him, imo. We'd have a very solid run game with those two guys.

9. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I'm not sure my draft board is really shaping up to have a player at a position of need end up the best available at pick 19. Probably a good thing though. You don't want to play guys as rookies unless they earn it.

10. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    We got our 7th rounder pick back.

11. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    You've never seen him play left guard or right tackle in your whole life and you call it "over complicating" it by acknowledging that this inserts a whole lot of risk into the idea of taking him as a left guard or right tackle?

I see it the opposite. I think you're creating convoluted and over complicated rationales to justify the idea whereas the simpler thing to to do would be just to acknowledge that you've never in your whole life seen him play the positions you'd have in mind for him to play and therefore it's a risk to take him high to play those positions.

I bet Gabe Carimi was viewed as an extremely safe pick. People weren't totally sure he could play left tackle but at the very WORST he could be a really great guard.

Except he sucks as a guard.

Kenyatta Walker was viewed as a safe pick. He was a left tackle at Florida and there were some questions about whether he could play there in the NFL but at the very WORST he could be an excellent right tackle. Except when the Bucs played him at right tackle, he sucked there and when asked about it he is the one that gave the quote that it's like being right-handed and asked to write with your left hand.

I'm sure Jonathan Martin was viewed as being "safe" too, because if he couldn't quite hack it as a left tackle then at WORST he'll be a good right tackle. Except how many times did we hear about Jonathan Martin being more comfortable at left tackle than at right? He absolutely sucked at right tackle. That wasn't a salvagable position for him. He couldn't hack it at the position he'd played for most of his time at Stanford and that destabilized him as a football player PERIOD. There was no salvage to be had.

Steve-Mo, Fineas and ssmiami like this.
  12. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami
    I don't like the Zack Martin pick for 19. Aside from what CK just spoke about him having almost no experience in the positions he would most likely play for the Dolphins, there is also the fact that there are good guards to be had in the 2nd round. You can go get an impact player like Brandin Cooks or maybe Eirc Ebron in the first, and then look for your guard in the second with someone like David Yankey or Gabe Jackson.

Even better, get more impact players in the first 2-3 rounds and then try to find diamonds in the rough for your O-line in the middle rounds.

13. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I don't base my evaluations or projections based on past happenings, it's irrelevant to me, I'm not even advocating selecting him at 19..he's built like a guard, drives like a guard, plays a good left tackle in a guard body, so I'm not going dismiss that he is probably going to be the best lineman on the board at 19, and that his game translates to other positions along the front imo.

Have you stopped to think his game might be better at another position..

Now from what you said I see that the unknown takes priority in the process, or is it that you think James is as good and you might be able to get him a round later?

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  14. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    After last season, good lineman look pretty sexy to me

15. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Thank you for making my point for me. At 19 overall you're taking a "might be".

That's the point. RISK.

As for JaWuan James I do see him as just as good a football player, but also probably able to be taken a round later, AND has been playing the position we will want him to play. Altogether a better strategy, IMO.

16. Pennington's Limp Arm

Pennington's Limp Arm Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    If Hickey shores up the running back position with a veteran, and signs a plug and play OLineman (like Wharton), before the draft...

I think that seriously opens up our draft options and puts us in a position to go for homerun talents and BPA. (which I want)

Right now we need a top round player to upgrade the O Line and that might force Hickey to take a safe player.

17. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I get the evaluation that Zack Martin has the look and makings of a good guard. I get that. I feel the same way.

What I'm saying is YOU DON'T KNOW. You have no solid footing for comparison of him as a left guard to let's say an Xavier Su'a-Filo or even the guys that Sumlit brings up David Yankey and Gabe Jackson. You haven't seen Zack Martin playing guard and doing guard WORK so how can you say you know he'll be better at it than these other guys?

It's very hard to do that. I'm not saying impossible. I'm not saying if you peg Martin for a position switch you have to drop him all the way down to the bottom of the guards. I'm saying it inserts an element of RISK into the equation which truly must be acknowledged in your process.

Being a GM is not just about picking talent. It's about managing a portfolio of assets that work in conjunction with one another to handle the myriad unknowns and obstacles that will most definitely be thrown at you along the way. It requires risk consciousness and risk management.

ssmiami and Disgustipate like this.
  18. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    yes it does, but it comes down to this, if were going to take a lineman with the first pick, then I'm taking the best lineman I see, the one that has the most diversity, if you select a player because you've seen him play the position yet your evaluation is that the other guy who you haven't seen play there is the better football player, which way are you gonna go..

There's always risk in evaluation but what minimizes it, is taking the best player..This is BPA and need fitting into one topic.

19. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I agree with your philosophy if you have James graded that high.

20. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I want SEXY!

ckparrothead likes this.
  21. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    Martin is draftable high. He is a safe pick, he can play. I agree with DJ as far as that goes.
    But just because a guy is safe and fits the positional need does not mean he is a must draft player.
    I agree that risk evaluation is part of the strategy, but I disagree that a GM must be risk averse during the draft on the basis of ability. I think a GM can be risk averse when it comes to character and injury concerns. Those are facts on which risk assessment can be made. Ability is a matter of opinion (evaluation), there is no risk assessment there.

22. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Trade up for Ebron if you want sexy...

RBs can be had later...

23. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Playmakers don't often fall in your lap in the first round, and hopefully our new GM understands this truth. Therefore, I've gotta think the pick would come down to the best player available among Odell Beckham, Brandin Cooks, Eric Ebron, Clinton-Dix, Calvin Pryor, Aaron Donald, or Kony Ealy, all of whom fill a semi need.

Beckham could be outstanding in the slot in a Randall Cobb-esque way, which could draw interest from Philbin.

Cooks has some DeSean Jackson traits to him, which could draw interest from Lazor.

Ebron is everything in a movable chess piece TE you'd want in an offense that's envisioned as being a merge of Green Bay and Philly. Philbin had a poor man's version of Ebron in Jermichael Finley. He may want the real deal.

Louis Delmas is the perfect 1 year stop gap to allow Miami to break in a FS of the future, Pryor or Clinton-Dex.

Aaron Donald for obvious reasons- cant have enough pressure players on defense; Starks is getting up there in years; Odrick is a FA next year.

Kony Ealy for less obvious reasons- much better fit schematically than Vernon; offers greater scheme versatility than Vernon by allowing the defensive front to be multiple; would allow Dion Jordan to better transition to OLB; Wake is taking a beating as a left side only DE because he too often sees strong side offensive formations. Ealy would allow Vernon to give Wake some needed rest in base defense, as well as allow the defensive front to more properly align to whichever side is the strong side. Ealy would go to whichever side the TE goes, Jordan would be the true SAM, and Wheeler would be the true WILL in these instances which could help improve the run D. With the NFL combine's fastest 3-cone time among all defensive linemen the past 9 years, Ealy is also an elite nickel DT candidate and could easily be a 10+ sack guy when factoring in that ability, especially with Wake & Jordan coming off the edge leaving quarterbacks no where to go.

24. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    i wouldn't trade up for Ebron, bit if he's there at 19 then we must think hard on that one..

He's not better than Eifert imo...Eifert is gonna be special.

I'm just not sure if this draft is as deep as everyone is suggesting, I think there is a bit of hype goin on.

25. phinswolverinesrockets

phinswolverinesrockets If he dies, he dies

Oct 31, 2013
    Houston
    unsexy, please. get me 3 o-linemen...all with bench presses over 26 reps. get me a power running back (a one cut guy, nothing fancy), and get me max bullough in the 5th round to compete at mlb. i dont want to see any wrs or dbs until the 6th or 7th rounds. fix the running game. it's really that simple for me. we have enough playmakers, just fix the coaching.

26. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    It is the Steve Smith I see in Cooks that excites me about him.

I have only seen highlight film about him, however I have seen enough to shows that he understand how to run a good route and can use route running to get himself open. Put that with speed, and you have a potential special player.

ToddPhin likes this.
  27. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    this is the kind of response I was looking for, So then zack Martin for you is very much in play at 19 because you want your strength to be in the trenches and have the middle backer to be a leader, this is a philosophy..I dig it..over power people at the Los, finish them on defense.

28. phinswolverinesrockets

phinswolverinesrockets If he dies, he dies

Oct 31, 2013
    Houston
    yessir. this is what i want. martin would be my pick.

29. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    I was originally mixed about Zack Martin but he was great at G during the Senior Bowl, if not outstanding.

MrClean likes this.
  30. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    There are a number of problems with what you've constructed. You've got this very odd mish-mash of best player available philosophy overlaid onto pure need-picking and it comes off very confusing.

First off you start with the scenario that you've come up with where you're heading into the 19th pick knowing you're taking "an offensive lineman"...and then from there, you're trying to figure out which one. You can really stop right there because already I disagree with the philosophical basis for the discussion. I do not believe you head into the 19th pick knowing you're taking "an offensive lineman" and from there you just have to figure out which one. To approach the pick in that manner would be flawed.

Second, now that you've laid out this hypothetical scenario where the team is engaging in blatant need-based draft selection (i.e. "we're taking an offensive lineman"), you're now completely departing from that philosophy by putting some kind of "best player available" overlay on top of the pure need-based selection. Now that you've eliminated to needing a right tackle or a left guard, you're opening the board back up to the "best player available"...within the offensive lineman group.

That comes off a bit confusing to me. Say we need a right tackle and the best offensive lineman available is Marcus Martin. Do you take him for your right tackle position? Say you need a left tackle and the best offensive lineman available is Gabe Jackson. Do you take him for your left tackle position?

That's confusing.

31. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami

Where do I sign!?!

32. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I agree with the playmakers sentiment.

If the Dolphins still needed a left tackle and the right guy were available trust me you could get me to take a left tackle at 19 instead of a playmaker. But they don't need a left tackle so it's moot.

I just want a guy that's got a shot at being a pretty special player, a guy that teams have to game plan against. To me those guys are Tre La Soul, Lache Seastrunk, Sammy Watkins, Mike Evans, Brandin Cooks, Allen Robinson, Eric Ebron, Jace Amaro, Aaron Donald, Jadaveon Clowney, Khalil Mack, Kyle Fuller or Jason Verrett.

I'm still a bit undecided on the likes of Kony Ealy, C.J. Mosley and Ryan Shazier. Of course I do have Anthony Barr as this kind of player but understandably the need is very low.

I'm really not sure I see Clinton-Dix and Calvin Pryor as worthy of going that high. Just not sure I see anything really special there.

ToddPhin likes this.
  33. Fame

Fame Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Vero Beach
    This seems...familiar.

Limbo likes this.
  34. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

If you would only draft OL who do 26 reps or better on the bench, you would not have drafted Logan Mankins. You'd have not drafted Richmond Webb, Branden Albert or Ryan Clady. In fact, for centers and guards, the bench press is one of the least predictive measurements of success along with the 40 yd dash. For all 3 positions, if you care about combine workout numbers, look for those with the better vertical and broad jumps and the better 3 cone times, along with the 20 yd shuttle for centers and guards.

35. MrClean

Senior Bowl?

36. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    The 4th quarter is actually up on YouTube, I know he played LG then, not sure about before that (in that specific game).

MrClean likes this.
  37. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    You tell me. How many snaps did he take at guard in the Senior Bowl?

38. MrClean

He said best linemen with the most diversity. Jackson has only ever played one position in college. 52 games at LG. Marcus Martin played 2.
    I think I'd rather take the best lineman than the most versatile.

39. MrClean

Counting practices, I do not know the exact number. Does that exact number matter to you? They did try him there though. I'd guess enough to get a decent idea of how he projects. So we cannot say no scout has EVER seen him line up at guard.

40. MrClean

My scout friend tells me that the scouts focus much more on the week of practices than the actual game. Many of them leave on Friday and watch the game later on tape.

djphinfan likes this.