1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who Would Disappoint You in Round 1?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Da 'Fins, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    What player (who is a reasonable possibility for a first round pick - say a top 40ish player) and position would most disappoint you for the Dolphins to select? Let's exclude QB.

For me it would be:

Cyrus Kouandjio

runner-up:

Marquise Lee
    (I would hope he would be good but would not be happy at 19).

2. phinswolverinesrockets

phinswolverinesrockets If he dies, he dies

Oct 31, 2013
    Houston
    any defensive player, running back, the guard from stanford (i think he is highly overrated), or ot from tennessee (another overrated guy). any of the above would piss me off. get me zack martin or a tight end.

3. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Quite a few would disappoint me I think.

Johnny Manziel, Derek Carr, Ka'Deem Carey, Bishop Sankey, Marqise Lee, Kelvin Benjamin, Paul Richardson, Louis Nix and Darqueze Dennard are some of the guys I've seen plugged into the 1st round in various mock drafts that would disappoint me immensely.

I would be somewhat disappointed as well, purely on valuation basis, with Carlos Hyde, Odell Beckham, Zack Martin, Xavier Su'a-Filo, Ha Ha Clinton-Dix or Calvin Pryor. These are guys I somewhat like, but not at 19 overall.

On the other hand if you gave me Teddy Bridgewater, Blake Bortles, Sammy Watkins, Mike Evans, Eric Ebron, Jake Matthews, Taylor Lewan, Aaron Donald, Jadaveon Clowney or Kyle Fuller then I'm dancing in the streets over the value I just picked up at the 19th overall pick.

The kind of in-between guys, not quite dancing in the streets but probably good feelings overall include: Tre Mason, Lache Seastrunk, Brandin Cooks, Allen Robinson, Jace Amaro, Greg Robinson, Ra'Shede Hageman, Timmy Jernigan, Khalil Mack, C.J. Mosley, Ryan Shazier and Jason Verrett .

I rescind about Kony Ealy, Anthony Barr, and Justin Gilbert. I really still have work to do on them before I can say one way or another.

Alex13 likes this.
  4. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Anyone who is not Brandin Cooks

I am going to be disappointed

Aqua4Ever04 likes this.
  5. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    You're a Dolphins fan. It came with the membership packet.

Pro-X, SICK, Higgi and 6 others like this.
  6. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    At least I am not a Browns fan.

I used to say Seahawk fan. I used to.:sad:

7. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    Not sure if any olineman would disappoint me. The situations that dire.

8. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    Nothing will ever disappoint like Cam Cam saying Ginn instead of Quinn. Nothing. Ever. Until Judgment Day.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  9. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Oh my. Wow. I'm so sorry. That would be like having once dated Jennifer Love Hewitt back when she looked like this:

[​IMG]

10. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Besides some usual suspects, I would be disappointed with Shazier or Nix in the first,

11. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I think if it's Martin, you have to follow that up with either Skov or Mason in the 2nd for me to be happy.

12. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    I dont think you need to worry about Cyrus Kouandjio in round 1. Too many teams worried about his knees and poor combine. I dont think he goes before about pick 50. 2-3 months ago I might have said otherwise. I like him a lot if I can get him round 3 or later. Theres some talent there from what I have seen if we can get him healthy (James Andrews did send a memo out to every team that his knees are fine short term)

My biggest disappointments would be basically limited to anyone I had ranked outside my top 25 at that point. If we overdraft someone by a few picks because we feel hes the best player available Im ok. If we get a steal Im obviously ok. I try not to limit it by position because frankly we have quite a few needs and because I dont think we're 1 player away.

The 5 players I most want in round want who I think will possibly be available (which obviously eliminates Clowney, Watkins etc):
    Eric Ebron
    Mike Evans
    Ryan Shazier
    Kelvin Benjamin (I probably have a higher grade on him then most...I love his athleticism and height...reminds me of Plaxico Burress)
    Taylor Lewan

Round 2:
    Antonio Richardson
    Troy Nicklas
    Jace Amaro
    Jordan Matthews
    Bishop Sankey

13. Not So Fast

Not So Fast Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Lake Worth, FL
    What caused the switch from Seahawks fandom to Dolphins fandom?

14. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I wasn't clear.

I used to say, "At least I am not a Seahawk fans"

now I can't because they are the best team in the league. Stupid Seahawk fans. Hate them so much!

15. Pennington's Limp Arm

Pennington's Limp Arm Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    From a position standpoint, I would throw things if Hickey drafts a defensive end in the 1st.
    Our coach couldn't even find a way to play DJ last year.

It seems like we're handcuffed into taking the Best Offensive Lineman available anyways... unless we sign more OL help in the next two weeks.

...And I'd happily take down old version Jennifer Love.

djphinfan likes this.
  16. Claymore95

Claymore95 Working on it... Club Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Peebles, Scotland
    Because we're more or less set at DE, and because we've just signed Starks and Mitchell, I'd be disappointed with most defensive linemen, unless they're named Clowney or Donald of course.

Zack Martin's been mocked to us in so many drafts, it would be a disappointment if he is the pick just because it would be an obvious, boring pick. Especially when we should be able to pick up a RT and OG's in later rounds.

Personally I hope the pick is Cooks, Ebron, Mosley or one of the consensus top 10 picks that have dropped for some reason or another.

Finrunner likes this.
  17. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    anyone not zack martin

18. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    1st round or our pick at 19?

Regardless, the Alabama tackle, Manziel.

19. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I think he is a solid player, plug and play type..lets see who's on the board, he just may be the right choice, especially because we have two rather large holes on the oline..

Good news is that Shells played right guard last year, and Dallas Thomas played on the left in college.

20. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Teddy the inaccurate toothpick Bridgewater, he will struggle in the NFL.

Shazier would be puzzling but his potential is undeniable.

21. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    Pretty sure I'm going to be disappointed with our first round selection no matter what. I always am.

It's like I get my hopes up so high, especially as the one or two prospects that I really want are still OTB, only to have my hopes squashed like a bug hitting the windshield of a race car. I reckon it wouldn't be draft day otherwise.

I think that's why I end up drinking more after the pick is made than leading up to it. :beer:

Da 'Fins likes this.
  22. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    there's something about teddys release that I'm looking at that I haven't heard anywhere that's strange, still looking.

23. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Ted Ginn Jr or Tim Tebow. If we draft them Ill go stark raving mad

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

24. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

What? You knew someone was gonna say it....

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Da 'Fins likes this.
  25. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    The reality is that Ginn, as mediocre as he has been as an NFL player, was still a better pick than Quinn. Of course hindsight is always 100 percent perfect.

While there are certainly players and positions I would prefer with the Dolphins first round selections. As long as Ireland isn't the person making the pick, I'll happily take my chances on Hickey making a solid selection with this pick.

cdz12250, gunn34, Da 'Fins and 2 others like this.
  26. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    With quarterbacks, the situation can make or break a player. There's nothing saying that he couldn't have been a good player for us.

As to the main question, I'll be more than happy with any of the four top OT, including Martin if moved to OG. I'll also be delighted with Ebron, and happy with Mosley. I think that anyone else I'd be happy with would have to come in a trade up, and not at 19. Realistically, if Martin, Ebron and Mosley are gone at 19, and we aren't able to trade down, I'm going to be very disapointed.

If we draft a QB before round 4, I'll also be pissed. AJ McCarron would be a nice long term backup to Tanny.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  27. Phoenician Fan

Phoenician Fan Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2013
    I will be enormously disappointed if we stay at 19, period.

I am pretty sure there will be no value for us there.

My desperate hope is that one of the QB needy teams at the top of the draft believes they can draft a position player and then trade back up into the 1st round and get value on one of the top three QB who slides, or they fall in love with David Carr.

I see more value in trading out of the 1st and garnering an early third and sixth rounder, than any of the players likely to be there for us at 19.

Example: Texans draft Clowney and then look for a trade partner to insure they get their QB. This could be the same scenario for the Jags,Raiders,Vikings.

I see an erroneous trend in the mock drafts. Everyone continues to mock mostly WR's to the Ravens even after they signed Steve Smith. The Ravens have a huge hole at RT. They have a practice squad guy named Mimms that was cut from the Chiefs penciled in.

Osemele will probably return to RT but that leaves a hole at LG, which some say would be Martins best position in the NFL.

If Zach Martin is so great, why aren't the Ravens drafting him?

28. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    He's bust city IMO. Unless he gets coached up tremendously.

29. Phoenician Fan

Phoenician Fan Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Yes, there will be busts, there always is.

30. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    FA between now and the draft will have an impact as well. Obviously. Pretty excited.

31. Aquafin

Aquafin New Member

Jun 16, 2011
    the poor house
    I want the most talented player I don't want a need player based on need I want the best player available .

I want Justin Gilbert in rd 2 or rd3 but round one ought to be a defensive tackle or a tight end.

32. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Good luck on Gilbert even lasting to our #19 pick, let alone round 2.

33. finwin

finwin Active Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Jamestown, NC
    Well since the D wasn't responsible for 7 points in the last two games, I'd say we need strength on Offense. I think 4 OL will come off the board before 19, Greg Robinson, Mathews, Lewan (Giants) and Zack Martin (Cowboys). So BPA may be TE Ebron or LB's Barr and Mosley. I'd be disappointed with CBs Dix or Dennard, but they'll probably be off the board as well. I'd be disappointed with moving up to take OL but that's what these idiots may do.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  34. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    maybe not someone with 12000+ posts...a serious question and an answer like that....weak

35. MAFishFan

MAFishFan Team Tannehill

Sep 20, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Anyone who's not fat and plays on the line. I want this to be the most unsexy draft ever. Fat guys. Fat guys everywhere.

36. scotty_irnbru

scotty_irnbru Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Dundee, Scotland
    Nah, no fat guys. Big athletic dudes instead.

37. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I remember last year when this subject would come up and everyone was saying that they would hate it if they took a "fat" guy for the OL.

Then the Dolphins have perhaps the worst OL in team history, and now this year everyone would be disappointed if they DIDN'T take a "fat" guy for the OL.

Steve-Mo and Dol-Fan Dupree like this.
  38. Fineas

Fineas Club Member Luxury Box

Jan 5, 2008
    I think there's quite a bit to say Quinn wouldn't have been a good player for us. He's been with 5 teams and has either sucked or failed to get onto the field with each one despite each of them having major QB problems.

39. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    Looks like Cam had a good eye after all. :wink2:

40. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    people are fickle.