1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No Tags For Soliai or Starks - Smart Move

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Da 'Fins, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Starks and Soliai are both 30+ and I think it was smart not to franchise them. Miami can still sign them in the next week. But, there are a slew of DTs hitting the market, potentially, many of whom are younger than those two:

BJ Raji (27)
    Henry Melton (27 - coming off torn ACL)
    Jason Hatcher (32 - older but could come cheap; still a force)
    Linval Joseph (25! That young - could get several years and still lots of room for improvement).
    Red Bryant (29)
    Clinton McDonald (27)
    Lamarr Houston (26) - plays DE a good bit.

The benefit here is not only might the Dolphins decide to pursue a younger player (or get an older one on the cheap) but it may turn out that Starks and Soliai both don't garner a lot of attention in free agency with the glut of DTs and so they may be able to be re-signed at a cheaper deal.

Of course, some of this depends on what direction Miami wants to go on D. They do have some flexibility with these players and the style of D they want to get into (if they want to switch things up a bit). Do they want to shift to more attacking DTs? That could be a factor as well.

But, it is wise to go this route given the options.

2. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

You could also add Pat Sims, Tyson Jackson, and Arthur Jones, all 28 yr old DTs coming off good seasons. Corey Peters is also solid and he is only 26.
    This draft is also very good for DT, and the way it appears to be lining up, in the 1st round, Miami could easily have their choice of 3 of the top 4 DTs at 19th overall. Aaron Donald, Louis Nix III, RaShede Hageman, or Timmy Jernigan. There are some good possibilities in the 2nd and 3rd round range too.

Da 'Fins, PhinsRDbest and Kucha like this.
  3. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Age is the reason we swapped out Dansby and Burnett for Ellerbe and Wheeler, going younger doesn't always work out, Starks is the most complete DT on the market, he needs to be retained.

ASOT, jinx and KeyFin like this.
  4. MIASportsFan

MIASportsFan New Member

Nov 25, 2013
    West Palm
    I would let Soliai go, resign Starks, and draft a DT in the first round. Starks, Odrick and the pick as the key rotation.

5. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    Teams looking to add DTs have good options this year, imo. Linval Joseph will get big money and will be a cornerstone for years for whatever team pays him. Rare that a 25 year-old with his ability hits the market like this, and he has improved each and every year since he got to NY. I like Arthur Jones as well. And if Pittsburgh lets Al Woods get away, that's an appealing target for us, imo.

I think we need to solidify the run defense, personally. Kinda mixed on Soliai leaving. Need a plugger in the middle - though maybe if we had some damn LBs this wouldn't be a problem.

6. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    What's wrong with our LBs?

7. Deerless Dice

Deerless Dice Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Oct 30, 2013
    They tackle like cornerbacks

8. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    They don't play linebacker very well.

Xeticus, MikeHoncho, Da 'Fins and 6 others like this.
  9. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Linval Joseph intrigues me very much. Giants fans rave about him and don't want to see him get away. He is already a nice player and should only get better.

Phoenician Fan likes this.
  10. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I agree that both shouldn't of been tagged, just haven't done enough to deserve that salary, and they have lots of miles on them, especially Starks, 30 years old..and I didn't hear much from them on the field when we were crapping our diapers in the last two games, men like that could of rallied the whole team, they have the potential to be the leaders of our team. And from what we could see, it looked like they shied away from the challenge.

11. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Draft a DT in the first round? You've got to be kidding me. lol that's the biggest strength on our team. It's time for Odrick to become a full time player. We got holes on all three linebacker positions, our receiving corps, could use another tight end, a running back, safety, cornerback, our offensive line. We can not waste a first round draft pick on a DT, that's ridiculous.

ASOT likes this.
  12. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    You shouldn't draft for holes in the first few rounds.

13. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    Yeah that worked out great for us the past 14 years, not drafting a quarterback nor BPA until Tannehill. You got 2 stud defensive ends, you got Odrick, you got Dion, and you sign one of either Soliai or Starks, you don't draft another DT that is never going to see the field except for maybe 7 snaps a game.

14. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    sign Joseph .... he is young and continuing to improve ...

let the other 2 walk ...

Phoenician Fan likes this.
  15. fins104

fins104 New Member

Oct 1, 2013
    I think people don't understand just how good Odrick was this past year. A combo of Starks who is the more complete free agent, Odrick, and either a free agent signee or an early draft pick is still a strong position for the fins. Don't need to resign both.

16. MIASportsFan

MIASportsFan New Member

Nov 25, 2013
    West Palm
    Linebacker is set financially we just have to hope they play better, receivers are set, TE is set. Running back can be answered cheaply in FA. You don't draft a safety in the first round. Corner we just drafted 2 corners along w Grimes, Patterson and maybe resign Carroll. OL is the only other real choice for round 1 if the right player Is available.

DT, both starters are older FA's and there is a strong possibility to lose both. Lots of talented DT. Wouldn't be a waste at all.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  17. fins104

fins104 New Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Because they have a large financial hit is not a good enough reason not to upgrade the LB position. Ellerbe may be fine and may deserve one more year to see how he plays but Wheeler didn't deserve that contract to begin with so to stick with him only would be stupid. If Jimmy Smith is a free agent we need to sign him to be our other OLB. He played inside last year but he was the clear choice we should have went with last year instead of Wheeler. Smith was the best OLB three years ago then got injured two years ago so the Ravens smartly signed him for cheap.

I agree the we should not be drafting any cornerbacks but I would be completely fine with a huge TE or one of those Evans/Benjamin/Robinson huge WR types who can be a red zone threat.

I see our likely first round pick in this order- OL, TE, LB (if Barr or Mack drops-unlikely), DT, S, RB,

18. MIASportsFan

MIASportsFan New Member

Nov 25, 2013
    West Palm
    It’s not that we shouldn’t upgrade if possible, but you have a limited cap and you can only pour so much money into 3 positions. We have a lot tied up in Wheeler, Misi and Ellerbe. But, if Barr or Mack drops then yeah no brainer. I am assuming they are gone. In which case the likely best talent available based on the mocks is at DT.

Obviously everything can and likely will change in FA.

19. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Can't believe Raj is only 27.

20. fins104

fins104 New Member

Oct 1, 2013
    I think if we cut/restructure Patterson we will have enough money to fix the O-line and still add a good outside LB. If I'm not mistaken i believe the guarantees on Wheeler and Ellerbe's contract drastically reduce starting next year and we have a boat load of cap this year so I think we would be fine adding one more LB. But we will obviously see how things play out.

21. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Without Solia and Starks, DT is no longer a big strength.

I would put receiving corps, and cornerbacks as bigger strengths without those two.

Larryfinfan and Da 'Fins like this.
  22. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    We have it without that.

23. MrClean

It won't be if both Starks and Soliai leave, genius.

24. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    That was the mean way of saying what I said. :lol:

Da 'Fins likes this.
  25. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    Yup! I don't think the Pat Sims/Coyle connection should be overlooked.

26. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    How would you rate this way? lol

27. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    They look AND PLAY like Milli Vanilli

28. MrClean

The tone of his ignorant post deserved nothing less.

29. Itsdahumidity

Itsdahumidity X gonna take it from ya

Dec 10, 2007
    I'mmmm pretty sure you're not describing our team. Hopefully we fix part of the Oline pre-draft. So if this guy:

[​IMG]
    Aaron Donald

falls to us or if Ebron is not on the board we better select him.

30. MrClean

Last year's snaps:
    Starks 742
    Soliai 526
    Odrick 874.

So, who was that mysterious 3rd DT who only got 7 snaps a game?

Fin D and MIASportsFan like this.
  31. Killer B's

Killer B's Junior Member

Mar 24, 2008
    Cincinnati
    isaako aaitui.?.

32. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I hope there is another level to Odricks game..didn't see it last year, it was steady but not great by any means.

33. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    I don't see anything Soliai does that is so impactful that Odrick can't do.
    Odrick and Starks both rotated with Vernon several times the past season, dummy. We have Dion Jordan that barely saw any playing time and should be taking more of the snaps that Starks and Odrick would from Vernon. Those numbers from the DT rotation would drastically fall once that happens. And I've already said we should bring one of them back to keep it a strength and not waste a pick on a DT because our GM created a hole, if we lose out on both then Hickey is an idiot. But go ahead, looks like you were waiting for an opportunity to try to attack someone on the internet. How very tough of you! :lol:

It's always the same group of keyboard warriors on this site that are trying to start fights and get people riled up here.

34. MrClean

And of course innocent little you did nothing to instigate it.

Vernon played DE, except perhaps on some passing downs. You think Odrick and Starks rotated with Vernon, where? DE? DT?

Who is the real dummy?

35. dolfan40

dolfan40 Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2013
    Germany
    made my day haha

SICK likes this.
  36. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Classic Sick.

Milli vanilli...someone get that in front of their faces..lol, spread the work on the intranet, maybe it will make them play better, if they can.

37. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Guys close to thirty who still have dreds and aren't from a country where it's part of their culture...same thing as a thirty year old wearing a baseball cap backwards...

Issues.lol

SICK likes this.
  38. MrClean

I thought stupidity was the reason.

39. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    I though money was it

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

40. MrClean

Did we save all that much money by swapping out the LBs?