1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vontae is not gettin Franchised

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dolfan40, Mar 3, 2014.

1. dolfan40

dolfan40 Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2013
    Germany
    CBS' Jason La Canfora reports the the Colts will not use the franchise tag on free agent CB Vontae Davis..

Well i say bring him Home was a top 10Corner per PFF

2. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    For the right money, yes. But he'll want to score big, so very unlikely.

3. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    With the snow dumping on Indy this winter I bet he heads South

4. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    It was Philbin that wanted to get rid of him and as far as I know he is still the HC of this team.:wink2:

ElNino and gunn34 like this.
  5. RGF

RGF THE FINSTER Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    NY
    Is it just me that thinks hes a classic underperformer who never really reached his full potential ?

6. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    He was ridiculously good this season after a soso start. In his career with us I'd agree.

7. Killer Bees

Killer Bees Bringin' the Ruckus

Aug 14, 2011
    I'll be happy to have him back if the money is right and he agrees to improve his attitude and work ethic.

MikeHoncho likes this.
  8. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    There's a reason he was traded...

9. MIASportsFan

MIASportsFan New Member

Nov 25, 2013
    West Palm
    Philbin wouldn't allow it.

10. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    I thought he was going to be a star after his rookie year but he never lived up to it. He was way too inconsistent. Not a bad player but I don't lose sleep that he isn't here anymore.

steveincolorado likes this.
  11. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    He's gotta pee.

12. Deerless Dice

Deerless Dice Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Two Words: Contract Year.

77FinFan likes this.
  13. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    So many of you forget just how good he was for the Miami Dolphins through most of his career here. I remember a whole lot of games where you never heard his name. Because QBs weren't throwing at him. Some big time INTs, and just an all around good start to his career. But when he was jettisoned for less than paid, many fans decided to rewrite the history books to feel better about the move.

14. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    would love to bring him back but we burned our bridges there as we usually do with everything.

15. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    He'll get a sweet deal. Kid is a complete CB, only 25 years old and coming off his best year. Good for him.

16. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Davis had a really good rating as per PFF rating, but I kind of wonder how. He allowed 8 TD passes, 2nd most in the league. He allowed a 98 passer rating into his coverage. I know that is not a complete picture, because when coverage is really tight the pass won't even come his way so much. That could have been the case some of the time. His PFF rating was 3rd, right behind Grimes, but Grimes allowed a 66 passer rating, allowed no TD passes and was tied for 2nd most passes defensed. Also Grimes was flagged twice, while Davis was flagged 6 times.

17. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I remember him making a few spectacular plays and just as many, if not more, boneheaded ones.

This year he had that one big game against Denver and otherwise was between average and above average.

Larryfinfan and Fin-Omenal like this.
  18. thisperishedmin

thisperishedmin Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I can look past the passer rating for the reason you said...but holy **** 8TDs and still ranked 3rd overall? Odd...

Does PFF list all of their metrics by chance?

19. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008

This.

He had an incredible game vs Denver on national tv, then his inconsistent self 15 other games (and playoffs) I like Davis but someone will overpay him.

20. MrClean

They list them for corners by run defense, pass defense, and penalties, which combines for the overall. Each rating is an arbitrary number that one of their people get from reviewing the game tape. They list about all the stats one could expect too.

21. MrClean

PFF gave him a +7.9 for the Denver game. His next best games were 2.8 @Jax and 2.7 vs Houston. They very seldom ever give out a rating for one game that high. Grimes best single game was a 4.9 @Indy

22. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I'm only speaking about his time with Miami, I haven't followed his career in Indianapolis very closely. I remember Miami's defense was night and day different when he was in the game. Things were a disaster in 2011 when he was out with injury. I think the truth is somewhere in the middle. He wasn't a shutdown corner but he also wasn't the dud some fans want to remember him as.

23. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I think your memory is skewed. he definitely had some games that wowed me and he lived up to his potential. but my memory has almost as many inconsistent games.
    Put it this way, for the same money (given the potential franchise tag discussed for both players) would you rather have V Davis or B Grimes? Even with his age, I'd take Grimes in a heartbeat. When he was in Miami, Davis at his BEST was on par with Grimes on an average day.

24. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    Move forward, not backward. I like Patterson when he's healthy. Grimes is a no brainer.

NaboCane likes this.
  25. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    How bout that stat for a 8 million dollar corner, no mother grabbin tds at the position...that's freakin cool.

26. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    they measure each play based on head to head matchup..some of those tds may of not been his fault.

27. Fame

Fame Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Vero Beach
    The thing I remember most about Vontae during his time in Miami is the fact that he actually injured himself while celebrating.

28. Jared81

Jared81 New Member

Sep 3, 2012
    what does his grandma think?

steveincolorado, 77FinFan and KeyFin like this.
  29. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    I just remember the year Vontae and Sean were smack talking about being the best corner duo.........then got completely roasted the first half of the season.

30. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Vontae has said that he'd like to stay in Indy, so I wouldn't get my hopes up that he doesn't just re-sign and stay put. Also, he's...how can I put this nicely? He's not the smartest guy in the locker room and he's easily manipulated. We probably could steal him back, but Indy could just as easily keep him if they're proactive.

Would I want him back though? The kid has incredible talent and putting him opposite Grimes easily makes us the most feared passing defense in football. I'd just like to know why Ireland cut him loose in the first place...there are definitely skeletons in that closet. Even though I have reservations about his mental state, he's far too talented to pass on.

31. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    I didn't want to mention that, but man...it was must-see television.

32. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    And a reason Indy doesn't want to use the tag on him.

33. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Re-signing Grimes makes Davis a non-issue for Fins fans... What I'd like to know is if they have any confidence in Taylor ?? For sure, we didn't see anything from him as he was hurt early and lost a lot of 'melding in' time to the system's we run versus what he knew before he came here...

I'd still like to see Patterson take a pay cut to stay...some sort of 'pay for play time' contract...

34. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Honestly, since they're going to be making similar amounts, if we're bringing someone home, it should be Sam Shields.

NaboCane likes this.
  35. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    I just can't agree on that unless Patterson is 100% healthy and locked in. Even then though, having two of the top three corners in the league would definitely be a good problem to have.

I have no idea if it would be possible from a cost perspective, but since Vonate's grandma is still in Miami, anything's possible...

36. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    i thought it was obvious that he just plain pissed off the coach with his immaturity and lack of work ethic.

Larryfinfan likes this.
  37. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

NaboCane likes this.
  38. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
  39. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Patterson was healthy at the start of last season tho. I just don't see them going after VD because of his checkered past here and his antics as well as it's unlikely that VD really would like to come back here, despite his Grandma living locally. Testosterone kicks in when you think you are one of the better DBs in the game and you get traded....Mind you, HE thought he was one of the better CBs, not me and apparently the coaching staff. I just think this is a bridge that is burned and he won't want to come back, at least now...

I was never really enamored with his play anyway...too many plays taken off, missed tackles....The fact of the matter is though, that I think they have to look at some options at CB opposite Grimes...be that Patterson or whoever...there are a few other guys out there besides Davis that are likely better options for us, given his past here...

40. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    VD was too inconsistent and would just set the team back into a bad place psychologically.

They have to move forward. If they bring in free agents at DB it has to be new blood (except say re-signing starters like Carroll at a good price).