1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Draft Approach

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by TooGoodForDez, Feb 27, 2014.

1. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    Trade up, Stay put, or Trade Down.

1. Trade Up. The benefit is you get a premier player. This year at the top of the draft, there will be Jake Matthews, Greg Robinson, and Jadaveon Clowney. All premier talents. Two of them at the position of need. Trading up has generally not been expensive, but it does take finding a willing participant. This year it would be the Rams or the Jags. Since this is a deep draft, teams maybe more willing to pick up additional picks. I do not suspect it would take more than #19 and #51 + a late rounder, in any case, that is what I would offer. In return you get a premier talent. I would select Greg Robinson.

2. Stay put. We have 6 or 7 picks. It is not certain we will get a premier player at #19. It is possible, but the probability of it is up for debate, at least compared to talent in top 3 spots. By keeping later, Dolphins will fill the roster, but their impact is uncertain.

3. Trade back. Count on the deep draft, and pile up picks since the value is close between 2nd and 4th round, and 3rd and 5th, and so on. Since there are so many hole on the team, use the draft to fill most of them.

Which one do you prefer.

2. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    To be honest I'm generally a fan of trading up if you feel the talent is worth it. Not saying its a hood idea this year, just in general.

Since its a deep draft I'd be inclined to see if snyone would trade s future first for a two this year.

3. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    I was thinking about this last night and decided I couldn't make a decision until I know what happens in FA. If we get a LT in FA then I would be really open to trading back and hopefully getting another pick. I guess it depends on who is there as well like an Ebron or Evans or Lewan or......

4. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I love your first three picks, explosive offense is how you wanna go eh?

I battle because Im a Defensive minded guy, and I think it's really easy to build an explosive offense..

I'm leaning towards really making the offense explosive because of the stadium we play in..I don't think the energy inside can push a good defense to be great or to sustain the energy necessary to play at their optimum levels for 60 mins.

With offense, you don't really need that so becoming the most explosive and talented might be the way to go, it's not my preferred identity but I must take into account tangible variables when it comes to this team.

Cooks, Seastrunk and turner are all explosive talented football players..

I like the way they can affect three levels of the offense, so I like how you put them together.

5. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    What a ludicrously fast offense the Dolphins could have with Lache Seastrunk and Lamar Miller at tailback and Mike Wallace, Brandin Cooks and Brian Hartline at wide receiver.

You want to talk about stretching the field. Try putting Mike Wallace on the perimeter of the right side and Brandin Cooks in the slot on the left side. See how empty the middle of the field gets after that.

sports24/7 likes this.
  6. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    I don't think we should trade up....as for the other two options, ask me when we're on the clock.

7. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Good question though on the move up, move down or stay put thing.

Don't know which way I'm leaning. My tendency is to want to move down and pick up lots of picks.

VanDolPhan and 77FinFan like this.
  8. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    Whatever is better for the team at the moment (the draft). I'd hate to move so far down, we miss out on much better talent.

9. TooGoodForDez

Feb 26, 2013
    Love your top 3 picks.
    I am not completely sold on Seastrunk. One reason is that he, Mason, and Sankey tested and measured about the same at the Combine. I think Mason has the best vision of the 3. From what I saw, for illustration purposes, Mason runs correctly 80% of the time, Sankey and Seastrunk about 60%. Seastrunk also has a knack for tripping on turf and fumbling. But he is the most artistic runner in the draft, gotta love that.

10. 77FinFan

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    In a year when the draft appears to have a lot of talent this makes total sense to me.

ckparrothead likes this.
  11. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Building an explosive offense is so easy that we haven't been able to do it in how long?

12. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I don't think it's difficult once you find the right signal caller, unfortunately we have had some of the worst drafting records the last two decades..

13. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    For me, it all comes down to value.

At 19, I think you have a very good chance of one of the prime talents falling to you. This draft is loaded and, like there is every year, teams will reach for needs at premium positions like QB and OT. More than likely there will be 3 or 4 QBs taken before we pick, so that's essentially a "free" move-up for us. If a stud like an Aaron Donald or Eric Ebron falls to you, you simply cannot trade down unless you're getting fantastic value. Even if your getting a big time player at a position you don't necessarily need like a Mike Evans, I think you have to pull the trigger. That guy is going to be special.

If somehow none of those guys fall, and you can get some value to move down, you do it without much second thought. This is a very good draft to have a lot of picks in, the depth is phenomenal. With extra picks to play with you can spend a 2nd round pick on a position like HB to make sure you get one of the ones you like, and not think twice about overspending on a position where it's easy to find a good player, or spend a 3rd or 4th round pick on a QB and get a guy you like that can be a good backup, a fallback plan on Tannehill, or ideally trade bait for the future.

The last option for me is trading up, but it all depends on value again. If you can trade up into that blue chip talent pool and aren't paying a premium, you do it. As bad as last year's trade looks for Jordan right now, the trade was great value to get a top talent. With the talent at the top of this draft I seriously doubt you'll be getting good value to move up, but maybe teams will look at the depth and be happy to get extra picks.

14. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    If we could get Robinson for the 19th 51st and a late rounder it could be worth it. I don't like to give up a lot of picks but that move would give us a tackle that could solidify a spot for a decade.

15. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami
    I don't like the idea of using your 1st and your 2nd to get a tackle. It's true if you do it right, you might shore the position for a good 5 years +, but rookie tackles struggle a little at first, and this team from the coaches and GM, to the QB, are in show me now mode. The offense needs a shot of adrenaline.

Use FA to get your LT and a G, then use your first 2 picks to grab some explosive offensive playmakers. Use your first pick to get you any of Eric Ebron, Mike Evans or Brandin Cooks. Then use your second to get you an explosive RB, Seastrunk, Mason or Sankey. Heck, I'd even go as far as to pick Troy Niklas in the 3rd round if he manages to fall.

I'd rather go bold and fail, than go safe and fail. Some of these athletic freaks are bound to pay off.

Trading down for extra picks is also a good option. 2nd round is stocked full of nice players.

16. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007

I'm really not confident about much, if we can get a healthy Patterson to restructure, sign grimes, get Dion to play up to his skillset, maybe walk out of this draft with something like Aaron Donald, Tre mason/ Carlos Hyde, Billy Turner and and D' Anthony Thomas I would be excited..

Right now I'm just blah.

17. sports24/7

Nov 25, 2007
    In an ideal world, yes. But I seriously doubt you're going to be able to get into the top 5 this year for that little. And you'd have to put all your eggs in that basket bypassing all the FA LTs prior to that. I just don't see how you could take that gamble. The Dolphins need to sign their LT IMO.

18. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Greg Robinson may be a terrific long term option for the Dolphins but I think you should be wary of the idea of trading up and taxing future drafts in order to get him.

There's no real indication he's ready to pass protect as a rookie. Maybe he is. We don't know because he didn't really do it much at Auburn. Go from game to game and each game you're going to find one hand full of snaps where you see him kick back in a discernible kick slide for pass protection that translates to the pros. And when you stack those handfuls together and really look at them...it's not that great. That's the truth.

He's an immensely talented and physically gifted football player and his run blocking is obviously very good. Although I think some people are getting carried away thinking his run blocking is "the best they've ever seen," etc. I don't see that. But you've got to at this point consider him a long term project.

So you're thinking about trading up using a future 1st round pick for a guy who isn't going to help you win in 2014 as much as you would hope. And if Philbin really is about to crash and burn as the coach of the Miami Dolphins then that future 1st round pick could be a high one. And you know who is going to be available with a high pick next year? Some dude people are going to love just as much as Greg Robinson. Because that's what happens every year.

ToddPhin and ssmiami like this.
  19. finfansince72

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Ideally I'd like to sign a LT no doubt. I'm just looking at what our options could be if we don't get a legit LT in free agency which could very well happen. Obviously our Oline is the biggest need on our team, we aren't in a position to roll the dice, if we can't get multiple free agents in at key positions we are going to have to draft guys early and often. And also we could see Pouncey suspended for a few or a lot of games too. We aren't in any position to play games with the Oline. If we crap out in free agency its panic time and we need to start calling teams and we are going to get fleeced more than likely.

20. 77FinFan

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Yeah, much rather a proven FA LT even if it costs more.

Anybody have the new CBA pay scale chart? Not sure what the difference in cost is between a 19 and say a 3.

21. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    To me it's a no-brainer. You don't usually find safe left tackles like Anthony Collins and Branden Albert on the free agent market. It just doesn't happen often, for a reason.

Much more often you get damaged goods guys available on the free agent market like Jake Long and Rodger Saffold. Jake Long had a medical file thicker than a phone book. He spent two whole days during his free agent visit just going through all the medical stuff and getting the Rams trainers aware of all his specific issues they'll have to help him manage to keep him functional one day of the week. Saffold doesn't require quite the same medical maintenance but he's also got a history of getting hurt and was a much more mediocre left tackle even when healthy.

Those are the guys you're USUALLY going to find available...not guys like Branden Albert and Anthony Collins. There are special circumstances for why the two are available, so take advantage of that and fill up the position while you can.

It's not the same as spending $12 million on a hot free agent wide receiver. Just like how when you're picking top 10 in the draft it's usually considered "safe" to grab an offensive tackle as opposed to a sexy wide receiver, same thing applies to free agents.

So go take a left tackle from the proven market and check off that box while you can. Consider yourself lucky that you get the opportunity to do that.

PerfectTeam and sports24/7 like this.
  22. 77FinFan

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Man I love this dirty talk. I am so hot right now. I really want to sew up our LT in FA w/ a good LT. Lock that position down, the rest is really manageable through the draft and maybe another, much less celebrated FA.

23. TooGoodForDez

Feb 26, 2013
    I'd entertain the idea of moving up for G Rob over the free agents.

24. sports24/7

Nov 25, 2007
    You simply cannot get through FA without getting a legit starting LT. If you have to overpay, you have to overpay. There is enough talent hitting the market that you will be able to get someone.

Bingo. You cannot waste this opportunity to get a good LT. That would be inexcusable in my book.

25. sports24/7

Nov 25, 2007
    You would almost have to know that you're getting the 1st pick in the draft to KNOW that you will be able to get Robinson and can afford to bypass the FA class. The draft is so late this year that those guys will be signed long before the draft. What happens if you have a plan to trade up to, say 4, and he goes in the top 2 picks? What if the deal you think you have falls through? You simply cannot take that chance. Not when you can sign a good player instead.

26. TooGoodForDez

Feb 26, 2013
    Good point

sports24/7 likes this.
  27. 77FinFan

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Totally agree plus I still don't trust an unproven commodity. A guy playing LT currently in the league, you know he can play that position. Top of first round, really good chance he can but you don't know it.

28. sports24/7

Nov 25, 2007
    Right. And I'd always rather give up lots of money as long as it's structured smartly, than a handful of draft picks to fix a position like this where guys play at a high level well into their 30's.

29. finfansince72

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Thats true .....but those guys are going to have to want to come play here. I'm curious to see if we are ignored by some key free agents because of our coaching situation and the obvious bad publicity we've received. Granted we can overpay but that isn't smart either. I hope we can sign a tackle to solidify the line but its iffy at best IMO.

30. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    They go 90% by where the money is being offered.

31. finfansince72

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Yeah but if its close and with a salary cap system it will be.....they aren't picking us if they have good options. I hope we get one of the premier tackles in free agency but if I was a free agent Miami would have to give me a lot more money. Our situation even beyond the soap opera nonsense is terrible. I'd genuinely be shocked if landed Albert.