1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dennis Hickey on Joe Rose or how you can be on radio and not say anything for 20 min

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ASOT, Feb 27, 2014.

1. ASOT

ASOT New Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Coral Gables, FL
    Did anyone else hear him on the radio this morning ?!?

Thoroughly underwhelming. He talked and said nothing. Sounded nervous and was rambling, and he didn't sound confident at all. I can see why Tampa Bay didn't consider him a candidate for their GM.

At least I'm not expecting much, so I won't be that disappointed when he puts together an OLine of "B" and "C" grade free agents and drafted and undrafted guys (that will most likely fail).

My prediction is the misery continues here for a while. We are cursed.....

2. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    You have a link to listen to it?

3. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    I couldn't give less of a crap about what Hickey says or doesn't say on the radio. As long as he helps turn us into a winner he can do interviews in a bikini for all I care.

4. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I love how Dolphins fans think our coaches and FO people are the only ones in the league that don't divulge important information to the press.

But please, someone admonish me again for having an agenda.....sigh.....

dolphindebby, Pauly, Bumrush and 11 others like this.
  5. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    I'm curious why the "go to criticism" is that they say something without really saying anything. All GMs give the cliche type speak without really divulging any valuable information. That's what they're SUPPOSED to do during interviews with the media.

I'm not a fan of Hicky... but I don't get why people get upset at this particular aspect. Sure... as fans we want all the info... but are you seriously disappointed or even upset that he isn't disclosing anything regarding their plans, etc? Why would he? Don't you see that by doing so it puts you at a disadvantage?

6. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    WHy would you spend your time listening to a Dennis Hickey radio interview???

MikeHoncho and Bpk like this.
  7. Mexphin

Mexphin Well-Known Member

May 6, 2012
    Ensenada, Mexico
    I don't get it, if he says nothing during an interview then he is a bad GM, if he says what his plans are then he would be a bad GM because he tells too much to the media.
    He is a lose - lose situation with some fans here.

dolphindebby, Bumrush, Sceeto and 4 others like this.
  8. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    We have a culture problem..and the fans of this team have played a part in it..

Stop contributing, it's freakin draft time, no one says sh&$..The guy is an evaluator of talent, if he does it very well and has problems being in the public forum I will protect him and root for him..

9. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I think most of us can agree than Dennis Hickey was not the ideal GM hire. The process that selected him was flawed from the start, and more qualified candidates summarily rejected Miami's offers. That being said, like it or not he is the GM. The time has come to start judging him based on results. That starts with free agency and the draft, not what he says on radio shows. I'd rather he not reveal anything of any substance.

10. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Football discussion is as much about predicting what will happen as it is discussing what did happen, if not more. When someone brings up Hickey's lack of acumen with the press I take it as a given that they're suggesting that it might not be a good sign for what will happen.

Personally I don't like the guy as a GM. I think there are bad signs. Most of them I can't share publicly but some of them are public. But there are definitely things he could do to soothe those fears. Some of them he's put on a good public face to allay those fears. Some, he hasn't.

One of the more publicly known aspects I don't like is his poor ability to handle media. We haven't even seen the worst of that yet because right now Hickey is in honeymoon mode. He's still excited and enthused to have gotten the Miami GM position and the media has had nothing solid to criticize yet about him as a GM. All they've criticized is the process that resulted in choosing him, which I'm sure grates on him but isn't a direct criticism. When his honeymoon enthusiasm wears off and when the press start finding actual decisions to criticize (which is natural and happens in every football city in America), that's when I think his relationship with the press will really fall off.

Right now he says absolutely nothing (which contrary to popular opinion is not a trait shared by all GMs) but he at least he sounds a little gracious and enthusiastic and there isn't any hostility hiding behind his words. I worry that could change. But it's just a worry. It's not a condemnation.

Bpk and MonstBlitz like this.
  11. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Incidentally I will say this.

Joe Philbin has taught me that even when guys have a history of being honest with the press and giving them actual content in what he says...they can turn into the total opposite when handed the pressure that comes with the big chair. Philbin used to be pretty forthright in his interviews in Green Bay. In Miami he has become the total opposite.

ASOT and Bpk like this.
  12. VManis

VManis Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 10, 2010
    Ludacris, Sceeto and MrClean like this.
  13. VManis

VManis Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 10, 2010

I wonder if that is an indictment on Joe Philbin or the Miami press corp?

ckparrothead likes this.
  14. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Wait...did you ever listen to Ireland ?? Did he ever say anything except words ?? These guys are trained to talk without saying anything of substance....even great guys, like Ozzie Newsome...they never really say anything other than what everyone else is saying...before we condemn him to the galleys, lets see what he does...cause what he says means nothing to what he does...

15. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I agree Hickey probably won't amount to much, but dude, Bill Belichick is the most underwhelming public speaker of all-time

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

dolphindebby, gilv13 and Larryfinfan like this.
  16. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Jupiter, Fl.
    25+ years in the media and Rose is still a terrible interviewer....

17. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Belichick is the worst. It only works because he won a Super Bowl in his 2nd year as coach there though.

18. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    man is that true, He's lost total patience, easily irritated.

Hickey, after everything that's been reported and some of the things we know, I get to the point as I do with everyone who reps us, and that is a clean slate.

I haven't seen him when it comes to the media as what the OP described, he seems to get excited but that's understandable, and like I said, for me it's all about his talent to evaluate..

Like to hear this interview that puts him in a light of being a bumbling fool.

19. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    This. It's draft season.

20. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    I think Dawn Aponte has a lot to do with that.

Pauly likes this.
  21. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    It's weird because Philbin didn't act like that in his first year, it was only last year that he started acting like a bitter and paranoid nut and my speculation is that Dawn Aponte suggested to him that he should be more like her mentor Parcells and give the media nothing. Philbin comes across looking like a wannabe Eric Mangini during his pressers.

22. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    It couldn't be the media, could it?

Sceeto likes this.
  23. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    sure it is, part of the job though is to understand the ignorance and diffuse without showing to much frustration.

24. dullfandan

dullfandan Active Member

Sep 15, 2013
    Charlotte N.C.
    Come on now, we been watching football for 30 years, most of us... Did you expect him to come out n say solei is gone, tann is on his last leg, and this team is a mess.. To me he sound excited about the opportunity maybe a lil overwhelmed but up for the challenge..

25. Phins_Fan_87

Phins_Fan_87 Phins and Heat fan Club Member

Mar 9, 2013
    Weston
    I am already prepared for next season to be a total waste.

eventually when ross figures out to clean house, we might be on the right path then.

ASOT likes this.
  26. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    There is always hope..because players can change everything, all we need is a GM that's gets what type of player can flourish in this town..noone has yet, but the hope is this dude will..

That's one thing with Philbin that I keep hope alive with, his strict outlook on what players should be is what fits in this culture, whether he's a good coach or not I'm not sure.

27. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    Some of us are radio nerds that play this kind of thing in the background while driving or working. It's our preferred method of human contact

ASOT likes this.
  28. Xeticus

Xeticus Junior Member

Mar 30, 2008
    CK you are generally a good judge of character. So now I'm concerned. Honestly I am underwhelmed by the front office we have now. I'm hoping Hickey pans out but after reflecting on things I am down on Philbin. There are a lot of things that went wrong under his watch and think this job was too much for him. A good NFL head coach has his team prepared and motivated for that last Jets game. Instead that game was one of a few games where the team seemed unmotivated and lackluster. At least Dawn Aponte is good at the cap.

cuchulainn likes this.
  29. Larryfinfan

Yeah, the same way Shula was revered here for years...I can remember years back how this town stood up on it's ears for the team, once Shula came in...it stayed that way for as long has he was here, too, despite his failed attempt at GM. I talk to a lot of Cheatriot fans, and the red carpet is still out for him even tho he's had trouble getting back into the big dance since 2006...

30. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

Actually, I thought he dropped a couple of interesting nuggets in there. The 1st being how much time he and Philbin spend watching the tape together. The other being how he assigns a single numerical value to each player regardless of position. I'd like to know more about how each position group is weighed to arrive at the universal number and how it ties in to the percentage of the cap space to assign each group.

padre31 likes this.
  31. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    I still can't believe we hired this guy. We agonized through 6 years of Jeff Millen Ireland, and this is his replacement? Then again odds are Hickey will be an improvement.

32. pumpdogs

pumpdogs Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    Wow!At least let him go through free agency and the draft before we bring the pitchforks out.

Mexphin and 77FinFan like this.
  33. Larryfinfan

]

LB, you are a bitter fan...you'd have complained if they landed Ozzie Newsome...LOL....

I feel the pain, too bro but at this point, we gotta give him the benefit of the doubt...after all, can't send up the Firehickey plane until after he does something to hurt the franchise...

34. NolePhin15

NolePhin15 Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Jupiter
    This thread is dumb.

35. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Actually for the first time in a long time I'm truly looking forward to free agency and the draft because I have some level of faith in the guy making the personnel decisions this time. But there's a lot on Hickey's plate, we have a ton of needs and that's not even counting potential holes created from free agents leaving.

Larryfinfan likes this.
  36. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

Fixed.

37. ASOT

ASOT New Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Coral Gables, FL
    Who said anything about divulging info. He spoke like a frieghtened deer. He didn't instill any confidence that he's "the man".

38. DOLPHAN1

DOLPHAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

that man navigated a mine field and did it very well. said everything without saying anything. lolol

39. ASOT

ASOT New Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Coral Gables, FL
    Listen to the interview on WQAM.com and see if that man instills confidence in you. He sounds like he's on crack.....never finishes sentances or thoughts.

40. Larryfinfan

Yea, me too...of course I'm an eternal optimist because I looked forward each year, even thru the Ireland years... One thing for sure, Hickey has an advantage with the number of holes to fill. It'll be hard for him to mess it up...