1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Anyone Else Concerned …

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Da 'Fins, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    That Ross will try to keep Martin on the team to somehow save face over the fiasco?

Leaving aside all the issues of guilt of the other players / coaches - the only reason I would want to retain Martin is if he were a good player. But he's not. But, to potentially retain him as one of the worst OTs in the game would seem a mistake. And, then, suppose Philbin cuts him? Then, who looks bad? Would the media stir up more and try to make the "release" a political move?

Again, leave aside all one thinks of Philbin - or anyone else in this disaster - what do you think Ross will do? Why is he meeting with Martin and what does he hope to accomplish?

Ultimately, I think it will hurt the team even worse if Martin is retained (resentment from players on the other side of the ledger and everyone will go overboard to take a 'kid gloves' approach with him).

Maybe this is just an overreaction on my part. But, still, how many times has Ross done the unorthodox (and bizarre)?

2. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Yeah I think Ross will try to do that but Martin has supposedly already said he does not want to return to the Dolphins.. So now we have to void his contract.. In typical Ireland draft fashion another wasted second round pick, the only second round pick in Ireland's tenure here that has been semi productive is Koa Misi and we passed on Gronk for him..

Da 'Fins and ASOT like this.
  3. DOLPHAN1

DOLPHAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

I can't imagine anyone telling Ross that keeping martin on the team is in anyway a good idea. I can see the overtures as a PR move but I think that ultimately Martin is gonna want to be on another team. just not sure based on his production and some of the underlying thoughts out there about his character that there are many teams willing to take a chance on him.

now if it was my responsibility, to be honest if I couldn't move him I'd bench his *** and hold tight to his contract, but I'm not spiteful or anything... :shifty:

4. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    The team needs to actively welcome him back and ensure that the environment that caused him to leave is cleaned up. It is important that happens so that they cannot be sued.

5. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    I think Martin stating publicly that he doesnt want to go back to the Dolphins helps the situatiton Ross is facing .If he did want to get back on the team Ross would have to acccept him and all of the consequences that follow.

6. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Hope not.

7. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    Martin has made it clear he doesn't want to stay, so no. Eventually we will look bad for keeping him, actually

8. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Maybe he can be the water boy.

9. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Jonathan "I just got pancaked again" Martin

Da 'Fins and GMJohnson like this.
  10. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Stringer hit this nail on head. Miami has to appear to welcome him back so they can show that they're committed to changing the locker room culture and putting the mess from last year behind them. Obviously, I doubt that the players would welcome him back as evidenced by Martin saying he doesn't want to come back. So I think Miami has to go along with that until they can trade him (unlikely) or Martin demands a release because he feels uncomfortable and Miami can part ways without [much more] collateral damage.

11. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    It would be great if they can trade him to Indy. That would be a great landing spot for him.

12. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    A story broke yesterday that Miami talked to Martin's agent at the combine. He was invited back and his agent said that Martin wasn't interested...and then he completely denied the entire conversation after the story broke. In that report, it also said that Philbin was giving Martin's agent a "death stare" from across the room.

Here's the bigger picture though; Martin does not have to be welcomed back to the team. He's an active member of the roster and walked away for personal reasons. Miami has paid him this entire time and supported him, even though Martin's agent made this mess 10x bigger than it ever had to be. How could an active employee that's still cashing paychecks from the Dolphins claim that he doesn't feel comfortable going back?

This is all drama for the sake of drama, and Martin personally needs to end this if he expects to ever play in the NFL again.

13. Not to sure he could win a law suite but if he did it would not be for very much.

14. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

Here's the story.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/write...onathan-martin-back-his-agents-rebuffed-offer

Also interesting was that Martin's representation denied Philbin's assertion. So far, Martin and his camp have both denied releasing the transcript.

How is that possible?

15. NorFlaFin

NorFlaFin Active Member

If OLD coaches Benton and ? think Martin can help the team he stays, if not he gets traded to wherever the Dolphins pick not Martin, his mommy, or his agent picks period.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

16. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Ross and the phins are in a bad situation here. First, he's only a mediocre player. Second, if we 'dump' him too quickly then the anti-bully regime will be attacking them. If they wait a bit and let things fester, he may find another home somewhere and I hope he does well there, but I don't think that Ross really 'wants' him back...I think that is the public persona he almost HAS to emit...

Da 'Fins likes this.
  17. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Could also be a play to keep the Fins from trading him, to somewhere where he doesn't want to go or more importantly the chance for the agents to get more from another team...fact is, he was a mediocre starter at best, and he's broken the sacred 'locker room' code of ethics...he's going to have a hard time wherever he goes. Thing is, the Fins are on the hook for whatever the difference is between his rookie contract and what he'll make somewhere else (as a FA)...if he's traded, he's under contract and won't make any more than what he does now... I still think he'll have a hard time a) fitting in because of the issue he started with our locker room and b) he's just not that good of a player...

Da 'Fins likes this.