1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Better late than never??

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Fin-Omenal, Feb 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Got this from rotoworld via USA today...

The 49ers' front office has vehemently denied talks occurred, but Haslam didn't back down when pressed by USA Today's Jarrett Bell. "There was an opportunity there, and it didn't materialize," said Haslam. It's entirely unclear what sort of compensation San Francisco was seeking, but pretty clear at this point that the Niners may be headed for a divorce with Harbaugh, probably after next season. It's worth noting Dolphins owner Stephen Ross pursued Harbaugh aggressively when he was leaving Stanford. Current Fins GM Dennis Hickey and coach Joe Philbin are believed to be a lame-duck pairing entering 2014.

....interesting.

2. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I don't Believe it O..

Sceeto and PapaC like this.
  3. Larry Little

Larry Little Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    I don't want Harbaugh, and I don't care what his record as a coach is. I think the guy is a jerk.

NaboCane, ASOT and OkiePhin like this.
  4. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    Why would the 9ers being looking for a divorce with him?

5. fins4o8

fins4o8 Mac FTW!

Nov 25, 2007
    Harbaugh is only getting around 5mil/yr. Looks like he wants a major raise and rightfully so. Plus KNBR reports a power struggle to get more say on personnel. Also the 49ers FO consider JH as combustible commonidty per KNBR.

-Sent from my TMO Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

6. Fame

Fame Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Vero Beach
    I believe Harbaugh has a bad relationship with either the GM or the owner. As in they don't have the same vision and it's creating tension.

7. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I'd look into it but really wouldn't go all in. If Philbin is fired after this season Id go after Malzahn and keep an eye on Harbaugh as well.

8. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Miami Dolphins are great at 2nd chances. See: Drew Brees.

finyank13 and Rhody Phins Fan like this.
  9. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Harbaugh is a very grating individual. When he was first available and I was so gung ho that Miami should do everything in their power to hire him, even I understood and said many times that this guy is a total a-hole. That's the vibe he puts out.

But he took a San Francisco franchise in total disrepair and brought them to three consecutive Conference Championship Games. And what impresses me most about that is he made some really interesting, not necessarily popular decisions at the quarterback position along the way.

He kept Alex Smith as his quarterback and trust me a lot of people around the entire league viewed that guy to be done. Harbaugh saw something that the others didn't and then he structured the system around Smith to where he could succeed.

He also drafted Colin Kaepernick in the 2nd round to be his QB of the future and that was also an unpopular decision. Everyone else thought you go for a 1st round guy or probably shouldn't even bother. He saw something there and he went for it, and again he's structured the offense around Kaepernick to where it fits and they're still going to Conference Championship Games.

I mean if you're convinced that the compensation would be too much then I guess I can somewhat understand that position. But absent compensation, I'd certainly have to question the sanity and/or wisdom of any Dolphins fan who does not want Jim Harbaugh as head coach of the team.

10. Mrtree

Mrtree Juan Huron's agent

Dec 8, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    I'm truly confused on why the 49ers would be looking to part with a guy who took them to the Superbowl and NFC championship games the last two years.

I don't know why we would believe Harbaugh would voluntarily come here however. He already spurned us once.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  11. fins4o8

fins4o8 Mac FTW!

Nov 25, 2007
    I wouldn't call it spurned. Ross screwed the pooch. Reports he doesn't get along with new President Prog (forgot his full name) and Balked (only communicates) via email.

-Sent from my TMO Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

12. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    My best guess is it boils down to egos that have been inflated by the team's success.

While most of US see the rise of the 49ers coinciding with the hiring of Jim Harbaugh and we attribute it all to him, I think a lot of the people in charge are likely to see it differently.

For instance, Paraag Marathe who is now the team's president in place of Gideon Yu (who was a finance guy mostly in charge of getting the new stadium), is a big time analytics guy. I'm sure he sees his focus on analytics being a huge part of the program's success.

Then you have Trent Baalke, whose elevation to General Manager coincided with the hiring of Jim Harbaugh. I don't think Baalke and Harbaugh have the toxic relationship that developed between Philbin and Ireland but there are certainly whispers of heads butting between the two. I think Baalke would believe that the 49ers are good because they have the best roster in the NFL. Many people around the league really agree with that, believe it or not. Front to back, starter to depth, the 49ers are considered to have a ridiculous roster that seems to have a way of just getting better. So if you're Trent Baalke why are you bowing before Jim Harbaugh when you think many coaches could coach this roster into success and maybe some other ones might have actually gotten you that Super Bowl?

Finally, there is CEO Jed York. His coming to power as CEO of the team mostly coincided with the hiring of Jim Harbaugh and the elevation of Trent Baalke. I mean look at the following paragraph in his team biography and tell me this guy doesn't see himself as a huge reason for the team's recent success:

That biography by the way was writtent prior to the 2013 season.

Meanwhile the 49ers have a number of guys on the assistant coaching staff, particularly Greg Roman, Vic Fangio and Jim Tomsula, who are regarded as among the best in the business. Tomsula and Roman are coveted for head coaching interviews but the 49ers keep going so deep into the playoffs that teams are usually stuck passing over them.

So think about this. You're Paraag Marathe, you're Jed York, you're Trent Baalke...you all believe that you had a ton to do with the team's recent success. You believe you have a roster that could get to the NFC Championship Game on autopilot. You believe there are genuinely good head coach candidates on your assistant coaches staff. You have a head coach who is a bit of an attention hog, definitely a hard man to work with behind the scenes, and has a way of convincing people that the success is all him and not the other guys.

Egos. That's what could split it all up.

13. Mrtree

Mrtree Juan Huron's agent

Dec 8, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Interesting info

Id hire him in a heartbeat

14. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Incidentally I know this is a small sample pool but previous history suggests that when a coach like Harbaugh does leave a program he helped build, sometimes that team WILL go ahead and achieve even more success without him.

At least, for a short while. I don't think the success lasts as I do believe it takes a really good coach to be able to continuously reload and rebuild his program, showing the foresight to change his vision for how the team will win games as new opportunities manifest and as the league changes and adapts.

Alex13 likes this.
  15. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    And if SF continues to decline this year, looking at you CKap, will you all feel the same?

16. thisperishedmin

thisperishedmin Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Interesting take...and one thing to add to that last fuller paragraph... if youre all of those other names looking at how that championship game went - I can definitely see laying blame on the in game coaching and game planning. Not that I personally would or would not...but the case is there for the making.

17. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Well then, I detract my first statement, if their stupid enough to not let this guy do what he needs to do, and how he goes about doing it, and not swallow their own pride, then lets go get his ***.

He's the kind of man you just have to trust because you believe in his methods, philosophies and even antics, stay back and let him run the show.

If there is front office people getting frustrated then if I'm the owner I get rid of them.

18. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Huge decline. Super bowl appearance to NFC title game. At that rate, San Francisco could decline 5 more years and still be head and shoulders above the Dolphins.

finyank13, Fin-Omenal and LBsFinest like this.
  19. Larry Little

Larry Little Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    So, you're saying you are dismissive of an individual's poor character if that individual is good at what he does. I can't say that I agree with you at all. If the 49ers top brass lets him go... I guess they apparently don't agree with you, either.

We all know how fond you are of your opinion. However... it's still just an opinion. I'm perfectly confident in my sanity and wisdom, thank you.

Fin D likes this.
  20. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    like when jon gruden took over tampa bay from tony dungy or mike martz took over from dick vermeil, we also could make a case for mike tomlin in pittsburgh

21. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    For anyone making the argument they wouldn't want Harbaugh under any circumstance, let me ask this: If Ross had been successful in hiring Harbaugh and he had the same success here that he has had with the 49ers, AND the Miami Dolphins were in this same predicament - would you be saying you would be happy to be rid of him?

22. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    What exactly is Harbaugh's poor charachter?

Being an intense type A personality is not indicative of poor charachter

There are various reasons SF could let him depart which have nothing to do with charachter

djphinfan likes this.
  23. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I thought people just wanted to be rid of people with bad attitudes around here?

Larry Little likes this.
  24. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Not sure what you're getting at here, but how about answering the question?

25. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    That's a good point. I meant to bring that up. The closer you are to achieving something great, by human nature you focus on the mistakes that prevented you from getting all the way rather than the thousands of good things that happened that got you that far.

So yeah I believe you're right there could be a tendency to look at game plans and decisions in those conference championship games and the Super Bowl, and focus on Jim Harbaugh as being the impediment for why they didn't go further...rather than the reason they got there in the first place.

26. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Wade Phillips in Dallas after Parcells left, too.

Jim Caldwell got the Colts to a Super Bowl with Tony Dungy's team.

27. ASOT

ASOT New Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Coral Gables, FL
    you could see the ego problem with Harbaugh years ago if you watched him closely at Stanford vs Pete Carroll.

28. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I was well aware of it. Many times I talked about the virtues of hiring Harbaugh and noted that there's an ago problem and that in all likelihood he is kind of a jerk. But he's also a really good coach.

Those things don't have to go hand in hand, but often they do, and I'm willing to accept a guy's jerkiness (within limits) so long as he's really good at his job.

29. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    How am I being cryptic? Everyone *****es about the bad attitudes of Ireland, Turner, Sherman, Cogs, et all, but that goes out the window when we discuss Harbaugh, a person whose attitude is so off putting the 49ers might be willing to part with him.

I said long ago and recently, I think Harbaugh is going to lose the locker room and never get it back at some point. I think a competent coach could accomplish as much with the talent on that team. In fact, if the 49ers swapped coaches & QBs with us, I bet 49ers with Philbin & Tannheill would have more success for longer then we would with Harbaugh & CKap.

He's a solid coach..right now, but he's got the crazy in him and its only a matter of time before the magic goes away.

If we had him i would hope he could hold the crazy off for as long as possible, but I wouldn't bet on it.

30. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I'm asking if Harbaugh took the Miami Dolphins to 2 AFC title games and a superbowl appearance, would you be happy to let him walk? Yes or no.

31. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Gruden won the Super Bowl w/ Dungy's team. They got progressively worse under him.

32. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Ross has consistently said that money is no object with his personnel, and he sort of proved it when he let Parcels walk while still collecting a hefty paycheck. I think that this is happening at a bad time though because Ross is still in love with Philbin, so I'm not expecting this to happen.

33. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    It seems like whatever happens with Harbaugh will likely happen in 2015 though and by 2015 I think Steve Ross could be convinced Joe Philbin is not the guy.

34. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    I'd forgotten about that. Two teams Dungy built to be SB winners.

35. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Jesus, man. I'd be ok with it. How can you not infer that from what I said?

36. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Because what you said makes no sense.

37. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Because you were dodging the question. As to your answer - I don't believe that for a second. Look at how enamored you are with Philbin. I'm not judging you for it, I've defended Philbin quite a bit here as well. But you defend Philbin tooth and nail despite the fact that he's accomplished nothing notable as a head coach as of yet. And you want to have any of us believe you would be ok with letting Harbaugh walk as a fan after 2 title games and a superbowl appearance? In fact, I think your mancrush on Philbin explains your stance on Harbaugh.

38. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Coming from you, I'm even more confident I'm right then.

39. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    WTF? I didn't dodge it and you're calling me a liar? Piss off.

For god's sake if you don't believe me why the **** do you want me to answer your stupid effing questions?

40. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Really? Had me fooled...

And your second response, you just repeated your position without answering the question, so yes, you dodged it. Twice.

I wanted to see if you would be honest with yourself or continue with the absurdity of the Philbin > Harbaugh position. I see you picked option b.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.