1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'The Following' S02

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by NaboCane, Feb 18, 2014.

1. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Anyone following this?

Despite its very obvious failing—the stretch to the breaking point of your suspension of disbelief—it's compelling TV.

And Connie Nielsen must be the hottest 47-yo on the planet.

2. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I'm watching it. I actually think this season is pretty interesting. Of course I thought the beginning of season 1 was good until literally everyone turned out to be a "follower" and it was used as an obvious and easy plot device to get the bad guys out of situations where they get caught or killed.

I am interested in seeing where this goes from here.

3. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Yeah, that's the strain on your ability to suspend disbelief. It's a world in which an inordinate number of people are perfectly, cheerfully willing to engage in sociopathic behavior for no gain whatsoever. Like a message board with FinD. :chuckle:

And it's rapidly approaching the tipover point with regard to killing off good guys. Like TWD, there's a limit to how much you can take away beloved characters just to serve that random bloodlust factor and have it be the topic of conversation the next day. At a certain point (which is different for each viewer but, eventually, everyone gets there if you keep it up long enough) the audience loses everyone they were rooting for.

I mean...the lesbian lover of the lead investigator for the FBI on the Joe Carroll murders is a Carroll sleeper? I blame '24' for starting this stupid ****.

4. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Not only that but even though I love the Joe Carroll character and think the actor does a fantastic job in the role, they can't keep bringing him back season after season. I'll be a bit disappointed if he's back for Season 3 because sooner or later he's got to get caught. That's why I worry about this show having a limited life. I think it would have been an outstanding 1 season series or for the next season switch to something else or have Kevin Bacon on a new mission with a whole new bad guy.

NaboCane likes this.
  5. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    They shouldn't have brought him back this season. It's simply lazy writing. With the new compound, nearly identical to the old compound, this season is shaping up to be a xerox of the first season. A cardinal sin in writing.

6. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Yeah and I thought the cop out to how Joe faked his death was lame. He had a half brother? I wish they just used the old "he had a follower change his DNA on the computer system" or something like that.

I do wonder if the new group of followers is going to end up in a battle with Joe and his "old" followers even though Emma said they are all either dead or caught. I feel like Joe doesn't really trust them and Emma sure as hell doesn't.

I will say though I am enjoying this season so far. I don't think it's been great but certainly entertaining and this is coming from someone that had a hard time watching the second half of Season 1.

7. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Yeah, it is compelling TV. No doubt about it, even with a thin premise.

8. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Last episode: Ho. Lee. ****.

9. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Yeah pretty shocking twist although for I really didn't think that character was dead even though everyone from the real actor/actress, writers, producers, TV critics etc kept saying yes. I do wonder what the explanation will be as to why it was hidden from Ryan. And I still think it will come out that Joey is really Ryan's kid and not Joe's.

10. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    I read this show described as "mindless" today, and I can't say that I disagree. I've just accepted that it's just purely an escapist thing, a guilty pleasure. But as that, it is an E-ticket ride.

I honestly didn't see that coming, although I should have. Trippy.

11. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Yeah I enjoy the show for what it is and just want to be entertained for an hour. I'm not looking for this show to be The Wire or Breaking Bad level.

12. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    And although the premises are absolutely, off-the-charts ridiculous, it's not as though the acting isn't top-notch, and the episode-to-episode action keeps you on the edge of your seat. The characters are likeable and relatable enough that you become invested in them—which sucks when they're murdered.

And once you're past the ludicrous nature of Carroll's return this season, what's happening is setting up one hell of a third season. It will be balls-out war.

13. TheHighExhaulted

TheHighExhaulted Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2008
    The whole new cult thing was turning me off at first but the plot twist at the end of the last episode might start to bring me back in.

14. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Agreed, the acting is very good.

15. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Yeah I'm not a fan of the whole cult thing, I'm glad its seemingly over now.

16. TheHighExhaulted

Jan 15, 2008
    Seems like Joe will be dissolving that.

17. TheHighExhaulted

Jan 15, 2008
    I just want Joe to stab Emma 400 times. I can't stand her face anymore.