1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Joe Philbin: Utterly Clueless

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by LBsFinest, Feb 14, 2014.

1. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Well the Dolphins are officially the laughingstock of the league now...we're getting ripped to shreds by everyone. Who was that guy that was seriously interested in buying the team from Ross? He was a Florida guy right? The best thing probably for the franchise is to suck so bad this year that everything gets blown to smithereens.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...ts-poorly-on-miami-dolphins-coach-joe-philbin

Aquafin, Unlucky 13 and NaboCane like this.
  2. Fame

Fame Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Vero Beach
    It's always darkest before dawn. Let's hope that holds true.

3. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Judy Battista nailed it.

4. MIASportsFan

MIASportsFan New Member

Nov 25, 2013
    West Palm
    Philbin just needs to make changes to his style of coaching and locker room management. What good would firing him do? There are no good replacement candidates out there.

cdz12250 likes this.
  5. dolfan40

dolfan40 Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2013
    Germany
    Report; "Jonathan Martin said that he had no desire to fight his teammates, and realized he could not succeed if he tried."

Report: Martin said that he often arrived at the Dolphins facility silently repeating the mantra "just get through the day."

Report: Trainer O'Neill once pulled Martin aside and told him he was too nice and needed to stand up for himself more.

While Jerry and Incognito admitted to insults, etc, Pouncey denied it. Wells does not believe Pouncey's denials.

Report: In addition to Nate Garner, some players believed Josh Samuda seemed to "get it worse" than Martin.

Report: Garner said he was mocked by teammates because he likes "computers and remote-control helicopters" and is viewed as a "nerd."

Report: Garner himself believed he was treated worse than Martin, but he said his fiancee helped him get through tough times.

After Martin left team, Garner texted him: "I'm here for ya. I have been dealing with this **** for 6 years. I hope ur doin ok."

Report: "Turner & Incognito criticized Martin's skills as a tackle & questioned his ability to put bad plays out of his mind & move on"

Report: After the 2012 season ended, Martin spent the next week lying in bed with the shades drawn, eating only one meal a day.

Report: Martin didn't go to Vegas b/c "he could not bear to socialize with players who mistreated him.. & he feared further humiliation"

Report: Martin contemplated suicide right before Vegas trip amid nasty texts from Incognito with gay, racial slurs, sexual stuff about sis

Report: Martin's mother tried to get him to seek mental health counseling after 2012 season, but he did not do it immediately.

Though Hartline told media that Martin played the "n" word voicemail in locker room & laughed about it, Hartline told Wells he wasn't sure.

Martin told investigators he never played the "n" word voice mail in the locker room or laughed about it and he found it highly offensively.

Report: After missing OTA practice in May, Martin told Turner he was contemplating suicide.

Report: Turner then told Martin he shouldn't take football so seriously and should be happy he was making a lot of money.

Martin, however, did not tell Turner that his suicidal thoughts came from treatment of teammates.

Report: Turner then went to Philbin. They met and discussed mental issues/depression for 20-30 mins. This was in May.

Report: Philbin told Martin the team would get him help and he was referred to a local psychiatrist.

Report: Philbin and Martin's dad had a "father-to-father" talk and Philbin said he'd do whatever he could to help Martin.

On this end, Wells commends Turner for taking "Martin's disappearance seriously ... and promptly reporting the information to Philbin"

Report: But Martin said he couldn't relate to the team-recommended psychiatrist who was 84 years old.

Martin also didn't tell the psychiatrist about his issues with teammates because he thought it would get back to the team.

Report; Martin started taking anti-depressant, said he felt better and that he just wanted to be good at football & find a girlfriend.

Report: But once the verbal abuse continued into 2nd season, Martin got depressed again.

Other Dolphins kangaroo court fines (not just to Martin): farting, arriving late for meetings, having stinky dreads & wearing ugly *** shoes

Report: According to Steve Ross, acquiring McKinnie was not a demotion to Martin "but a reflection of Clabo's struggles"

Dolphins director of player development Kaleb Thornhill, who visited Martin in hospital w/Philbin, said he was also berated by Incognito""

6. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Well if our GM search was any indication, we could just offer the job the the nearest janitor.

Clark Kent likes this.
  7. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Huh? There are plenty. Unlike Philbin, there are coordinators out there who know enough X's and O's that they're actually trusted to call plays lol.

mi2cents likes this.
  8. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Well it's pitch black right now.

9. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Joe Philbin will not suffer any immediate consequences. I'm pretty confident about that.

The Wells report seems formulated to specifically absolve him of any wrongdoing. It does nothing but speak glowingly about him. It also absolves Jeff Ireland.

I think Judy Battista brings up legit questions. But nothing will come of them. Only one thing will get Joe Philbin out of Miami and that is underperformance in 2014.

10. Finrunner

Finrunner Season Ticket Holder

Dec 11, 2007
    The team-recommended psychiatrist was 84-years old? :confused2:

I wonder if that's a psychiatrist they've recommended before or they just opened the yellow pages, pointed, and picked. This'll probably sound like ageism, but I'd think an octogenarian psychiatrist would probably be out of touch with football players between the ages of 22-30. Doesn't sound like a well thought out choice by the team in that regard.

Don't know why I focused in on that, but it just caught my eye. So much here...

toto and Unlucky 13 like this.
  11. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Offense Linemen are generally a group on their own.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  12. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    It's ont thing to give Philbin a pass for not knowing what was going on with the players away from the facility and on their texts.

It is another thing to give him a complete pass for not knowing what his coaches and trainers were doing. How the hell could he not have known about the blow up doll, or the harrasment of the trainer?

How on earth could he have simply taken Turner's word for it, that there was no harrasment, AFTER he spoke with Martin's father?

I agree that Wells took it easy on him by suggesting that IF he knew he obviously would have done something. But he did know something was wrong yet was not proactive at all in doing anything about it.

I have no doubt that once Martin left the team he was truly concerned for his well being, but he was willfully ignorant prior to that, even after recommending counseling and discussing the matter with Martin's father.

He doesn't appear to have followed up as to how Martin was progressing in therapy nor was he keeping a more watchful eye on Jim "Cousin of Sherman" Turner.

He may be a nice, caring man at heart, but he did nothing when he had the opportunity to do so. And Turner is still employed.

If your a leader, sometimes you have to accept responsibility for things that aren't necessarily your fault. Philbin may not be to blame for the actions of Incognito, Turner, O'Neil, etc., but he damn sure has to take SOME responsibility for them.

PhinFan1968, finyank13, jim1 and 8 others like this.
  13. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Do we know that Martin's father said there was harassment?

Steve-Mo and Mexphin like this.
  14. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    I want Joe Philbin gone for the performance. This stuff only adds fuel to that fire.

However, how Dolphins would it be that we couldn't hire the best GM candidates because of the structure and we fire Joe Philbin and settle on a guy that wasn't our top choice to begin with???

Aquafin and pacadermng67 like this.
  15. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    The head coach is ultimately responsible for the culture and respect within his locker room..if he's unaware then that is not an excuse.

16. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I agree with that.

17. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Not to mention Joe Philbin is a former freaking offensive line coach. You'd think he would at least take a little more than a passing interest in that unit.

finyank13, MAFishFan, DPlus47 and 4 others like this.
  18. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    He should also what are the personalities of the players on his team and know that the dynamic can happen.

19. pumpdogs

pumpdogs Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    I want ross gone.Sell the ****ing team you ****ing moron.Watch the nfl suspend pouncey
    now.

20. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    [​IMG]

21. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    That would take a level of anticipation that we have not seen from him.

Aquafin likes this.
  22. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Good point. One of the reasons I think he should have been fired at the end of the season.

Aquafin likes this.
  23. Rouk

Rouk Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Hollywood, Florida
    i find it hard to believe a head coach has no idea whats going on in the locker room but thats just me

cdz12250 likes this.
  24. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    If people thought Joe Philbin was out for the head of any player that rocked the boat BEFORE all this, holy cow wait til they get a load of him now.

Puka-head likes this.
  25. Rouk

Rouk Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Hollywood, Florida
    even if someone was rocking the boat it sounds like he would have no clue it was going on anyways so nothing would change

26. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    What a ****ty mess.

Ross should have fired everyone.

MAFishFan, Aquafin, 2socks and 2 others like this.
  27. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I don't think there is any aspect of the job of head coach that Joe Philbin does well, and that's a pretty remarkable feat. You can pretty much name something that any coach here no matter how bad did well. Dave Wannstedt, Tony Sparano, Cam Cameron, etc.

Philbin does what, exactly? Seinfeld quotes?

finyank13, Limbo and DPlus47 like this.
  28. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Hey, the excuse worked for a certain leader of the free world, why not Philbin.

"I found out about the bullying when I watched the news ..."

29. Pauly

Pauly Season Ticket Holder

Nov 29, 2007
    This is the entirely predictable result of Ireland covering up for and protecting Incognito following the golf harassment incident. I would also say that there has been a long pattern of covering up bad behavior in Miami, and avoidance of disciplining wrong doing when it doesn't directly affect the on field performance of the team. Attitudes like this don't grow up overnight.

30. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Here's a different side to the story though; the organization was filled with toxic personalities. When the **** hit the fan, everyone from Ireland to Turner to Gaine was pointing fingers and Ross couldn't get the truth. Then he turns to Philbin, who says that he wants to get to the bottom of everything and clean house, and Ross sees a glimmer of the right kind of attitude among all the horse crap.

If you're expecting Philbin to be fired because a reporter says that he doesn't call the plays, then you're delusional. The funny thing is that WITHOUT THIS SCANDAL, Philbin may have been let go after choking so badly in weeks 16 and 17. The Martin saga took precedence though and it bonded him with Ross for better or for worse. So no matter what, Philbin will be in place in 2014...regardless of what the press throws at him.

I do completely agree with the reporter though; a coach that can only muster up 7 points over 8 quarters of must-win football deserves to be fired. There's no way you can fault the OC or anyone else in that situation because ultimately, he was 100% in charge and he never figured out why the team couldn't score points. With the offensive talent brought in to surround Tannehill with, Philbin had absolutely no excuse for not being able to move the football.

31. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    It goes far beyond that. If he doesn't know, he's incompetent.

finyank13 and Aquafin like this.
  32. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Sparano could fist pump with the best of them, but that's not technically part of the HC job description. I'm sort of at a loss as to what he did well.

33. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I'm tapping my fingers on my chair armrest trying to figure that out.

34. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

I think Joe Philbin was caught in a feedback loop. Martin refused to talk to him about it explicitly, Turner told him about it without talking about his role in causing the problems, and the players involved refused to tell him anything. While it explains his ignorance, a head coach shouldn't be in any of those situations. He should have earned enough trust from Martin to get answers and he should wield enough authority over staff and players that they wouldn't withhold anything from him.

If Turner gets banned, I'd be happy. We brought in the Texans O-Line coach who I trust over him. If Philbin got banned on something like lack of organizational control, I'd have a little confidence. Coyle is clearly a motivator and can squeeze water out of stones in the secondary. Maybe he could do better on an interim basis.

Colmax likes this.
  35. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    That's been my position from the very beginning of this ordeal.

36. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    Starting with himself.

Wait...can he do that? :shifty:

37. jinx

jinx Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2010
    He's been successful with challenges, though that's probably due to the person in the booth responsible for telling him whether to challenge a play.

That's all I got.

38. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Supposedly wanted Richie gone, correct?

39. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    Need a new HC

Need to cut bad-news Pouncey too.

40. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    this offseason was the perfect time for Ross to clean house. Instead, yet again, he failed to hold all parties accountable. in 2011 he came to the conclusion that coaching was solely to blame for the lack of success on the field, so he fired the coach but kept the personnel guy, now he thinks personnel is the problem, so the GM gets the axe but the coach stays. these half measures are counterproductive, what makes it even worse is both times his search for the replacement is handcuffed by his loyalty to the men who were retained.