1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LaCanfora: New GM, same old problems for Dolphins

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Serpico Jones, Feb 7, 2014.

1. BicketyBam

BicketyBam No Fist Pumps Allowed

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    Ouch. That wasn't pretty.

2. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    whole lot of nothing and speculation in that article. Sign Grimes, Sign POuncey to an extension. Go get Brandon Albert. Keep Starks. Then we can focus on improving our guard play. The speculation that Philbin might start Moore if Tannehill doesn't keep progressing is BS. Moore isn't nearly as good as Tannehill is right now, even if Tannehill didn't make another leap in his play.

Ducken, Phins_Fan_87, MrClean and 4 others like this.
  3. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    You aren't going to get 'pretty' articles this offseason. Your going to get a lot of media pile on.

cdz12250 and MikeHoncho like this.
  4. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    As I said in the Club, the general tenor of the article is definitely glass half empty and if anyone wants to disregard that I think that's completely fair.

However there are interesting revelations and pieces of information in the article.

The first and most jaw-dropping is hearing from someone that spoke to Joe Philbin specifically about the quarterback situation say that Philbin said to him outright he's frustrated with Tannehill and want to see him make progress or else he's putting in Matt Moore whom he's very high on. That's a bombshell.

The second was JLC's revelation that Hickey has a two year deal with a team option third year. This makes PERFECT sense when you consider the Dolphins threw the original report of a simple two year deal back in the faces of the reporters and said it's not a two year deal, but then refused to say what it actually was. The Dolphins were taking refuge in a technicality, like they did when Steve Ross never actually went to China even though his jet was scheduled to go there and the flight was canceled due to weather. The Dolphins just pretended they didn't know where that report was coming from.

The third interesting thing were the quotes from one of the guys we interviewed for GM. I just thought some of the ways he positioned things was a little interesting with respect to budgeting and whatnot.

Mile High Fin, ASOT, NaboCane and 4 others like this.
  5. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I am more and more losing faith in Philbin.

Ohio Fanatic, gunn34 and Bpk like this.
  6. Jagfish

Jagfish Season Ticket Holder

Nov 23, 2007
    This Planet you call Earth
    I am more excited about the OL rebuild than I am disappointed we may have to replace 3-4 starters on what I think we can call a disastrous OL last season. Tannehill needs to get better, sure, but the dude is still behind the curve for games started through college/Pros. Matt Moore looked awful in the spot duty he did have this season. I can see if we start losing early games and Philbin sees his future evaporating him switching o save his job.

7. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Heh, sounds to me like Philbin is screwing with Tannehill

8. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    If I actually trusted them I would be excited about the OL rebuild.

With them clearing this much dead wood out of the way on the OL this is a real opportunity to build a line cohesively and thematically that you think all fit together perfect for what you're trying to do. You can get all guys that are mobile and quick or you can get all guys that are big and brutish, etc. You have an opportunity to create a line that doesn't look like a patchwork of this or that, dependent on who fell off the map, retired, went to another place for more money, etc.

However there's the simple matter that I don't trust them to build a cohesive vision.

ASOT, NaboCane, CWBIII and 3 others like this.
  9. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    god I love Katy perry..so naughty.

MrClean likes this.
  10. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    ASOT, ssmiami, MikeHoncho and 2 others like this.
  11. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Not fair to judge Moore coming in to a blowout situation in the fourth quarter. I thought he did a really good job in 2011.

77FinFan likes this.
  12. Jagfish

Jagfish Season Ticket Holder

Nov 23, 2007
    This Planet you call Earth
    True, if the evaluations blow (ala' LB switch last year) they are creating a bigger more expensive mess at OL. Here's hoping with the new OC and the Texan's OL coach on board they will get some better evaluations. Got my fingers crossed they do build a cohesive OL with a vision for how they would like them to look and play.

13. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    Article is on the money. (some of the coloring as usual is unnecessary.)

I do not understand why we need to resign one of Starks and Soliai. They are not worth the money. They hardly win the battles in the trenches.
    We won 7 games consistently with Jake long, We won 8 without him. He was a non-factor and too expensive as well.
    With so many contracts up for renewal, in the secondary, Oline, Dline, the team is not going to compete next year.
    It's time to focus on draft, prudent spending, and building long term.
    And as far as Pouncey, trade him if he wants more money. He is not worth the large chunck either.

14. RGF

RGF THE FINSTER Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    NY
    I doubt very much if Philbin would sit Tannehill in favor of Moore mainly because no QB would have succeeded this past season with this putrid OL and Philbin, if he has any sense at all, would realize this. Its probably more of trying to light a fire under Tannehills *** and keep him focused then anything else. If our OL improves next season and Tannehill struggles to progress( especially with his pocket awareness) then it might make more sense to even think about changing QB`s. I`m sure ( or at least hoping) Tannehill gets a fair shot to show us his progress going into his 3rd season.

15. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Anyone remember the quote that goes with this….?

[​IMG]

16. phinfan4ever

phinfan4ever New Member

Jan 17, 2014
    I would let Soliai and Starks walk and use that saved money on my OL targets. Shelby and Francis are capable of playing alongside Odrick. One interesting piece of our OL is Brenner. Can he step up and grab the starting LG position? He has the size and speed and athletic ability Philbin desires. He is a little nasty as well. If Brenner can do this it will take some pressure off Hickey and allow Hickey to focus on 3 spots instead of 4. That would mean we could either sign 2 FA's and draft one or vise versa. Then we can extend Pouncey.

17. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    "He definitely wants to push Tannehill more," said one source who has spoken to Philbin about the quarterbacks, "and if he doesn't see improvement he said he might go to Moore at some point. He definitely has a lot of faith in Moore, and they're paying him a lot of money."

WOW.

18. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Was it "We ****ed up" or something like that?

Bpk likes this.
  19. MIASportsFan

MIASportsFan New Member

Nov 25, 2013
    West Palm
    Really? Moore? The guy with as many picks as completions this year? Really?

20. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    If Philbin meant that as anything more than motivation, he Is an idiot.

21. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Well it all makes sense.....we let Tannehill take a beating behind the worst oline in the league so that we could have Moore healthy and ready this year......Genius!

22. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami
    If you're referring to VanDolPhan's sig picture, that's not Katy Perry. That's Alison Brie, whom I personally think is far sexier. Though your statement remains valid.

djphinfan likes this.
  23. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    World's hottest Jew

24. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    I don't have a problem with what Philbin said and I still have a lot of faith in Philbin. As I've said a million times, there's a lot I like about Tanne. He put a lot on his shoulders this past season. He had some great moments, but he also had some really bad moments. Honestly, I was hoping to see more improvements. I still haven't given up all hope, but unlike some here, I am certainly not about to anoint him as that savior, franchise QB, whom we've all been hoping to find for so long now. He's had some good moments, but some terrible moments as well. He left A LOT of plays on the field this past season. A big problem I have with him is when he drops back, he doesn't seem to scan the field and go through all of the progressions. He looks one way and goes that way. It's like the ooposite of what Dan the Man said in that convo with Bill Walsh when Walsh asks him: "What are you looking at when you drop back? What's your first read?..or something like that and Dan says; "Hey, I just see the open man and I'm going to hit him" Tanne needs some of that in his game. Yes. I think Sherman did a poor job at moving him around and moving the pocket, but Tanne just left too many plays on the field. That last Jets game was pretty much all on Tanne. He was terrible. If we don't see serious improvements this coming season, I think it will be time to start getting worried. I haven't lost faith. There's A LOT I like about him. We are just going to have see him take another step in order to keep any hope alive. I hope the new OC is a big help.

MrClean and gafinfan like this.
  25. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Why?

Isn't his coaching a factor in Tanny's development?

26. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami
    Hmm, you're entering into turbulent waters here my friend. Scarlett Johansson is tough to beat, or maybe you didn't know she is Jewish.

27. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Eh she does nothing for me.

28. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    I did.

And she is an acceptable choice as well. Allison Brie has the more approachable, girl next door look, though, which I prefer.

If you were in college and sat next to Brie, you might think you had a chance (even though you don't). With scarlett, you wouldn't even bother.

Sarah Silverman is looking very good these days too, as a second tier Hebrew option.

29. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami
    I agree, though I do have a particular weakness for brunettes and even more when they are goofballs. However I can certainly see and understand many making an argument for ScarJo.

Don't agree about Sarah Silverman though, big step down and I find her a little annoying.

If you want other options with similar girl next door appeal, look no further than Mila Kunis.

30. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    sure i´m just a fan and don´t have that much inside info on why philbin would be putting Tannehill on a short leash...thats a real WTF moment for me...the guy was sacked almost 60 times (granted some of them were on him for holding the ball to long) had no running game and played almost every snap...he is a tough SOB...his TD´s went way up from last year too....philbin can go and **** himself...what a douche

31. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Google pics of Srah Silverman at the Howard Stern Birthday show

32. phinfan4ever

phinfan4ever New Member

Jan 17, 2014
    :omg:

Destroyer likes this.
  33. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami
    I don't see it man. She's got a mousy face. IMO there are far too many gorgeous Jewish women who I'd rate above her. Of the same complexion as Sarah Silverman, you've got Emmanuelle Chriqui and Lizzy Caplan for instance.

34. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    I'm sure it is to a point. I mentioned about Sherman. I just don't think it is to the extent that some want to believe. I truly wish I could believe that is the whole reason, but I just can't. Sucks.

35. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Who knew there were this many?

Is Lizzy Caplan on Masters of Sex?

36. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Silverman is hot because she looks slightly odd in the face IMO if she had a normal face she wouldn't be as attractive.

37. MIASportsFan

MIASportsFan New Member

Nov 25, 2013
    West Palm

Amen

38. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Part of her appeal is that hse's funny.

She also actually looks Jewish, unlike ScarJo and some of the others. The semetic look is very important to some of us :lol:

39. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami
    Yeah, one and the same.