1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wells report delayed 1 - 2 weeks

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by VManis, Feb 7, 2014.

1. VManis

VManis Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 10, 2010
    and apparently Richie isn't happy about it. But there are a few other interesting things in this article.

I know the Phins played hardball with Ricky about his signing bonus and I feel like they did this with another player but can't remember who at the moment. Although with Ricky the cast of characters is completely different.

Kind of odd that he is meeting with Philbin/Aponte since Ross has made it seem like there is no chance he would return.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ted-wells-report-takes-shot-at-martins-agent/

Bpk likes this.
  2. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    As long as the Dolphins' is cleared I don't care about Ritchie's or Jonathan Martin's fates are. I think Ritchie will get another shot in the NFL, maybe he could be a back up guard, but don't want him back on this team. He's not good at football.

3. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    I think extending the release of the report indicates that they don't have a lot of dirt to uncover. Dragging their feet b/c there isn't a bombshell. JMO.

4. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

What a mess. lol.

Look, once Richie made the tweets public the NFL has decided to reassess the report's contents.

Think about that a mninute.

The Ted Wells report is NOT about sharing all of the facts with us when it is put out. Otherwise it would be IRRELEVANT when it comes out, and they would not be ABLE to reassess because they would have NO intention of changing its contents. However, they ARE willing to change the report's contents and findings, imo. It is a VEHICLE for the NFL to reach it's damage control goals.

That is why things need to be reconsidered by the NFL now. They need time to gauge the new landscape post-tweet-release. And then decide what angle to play. Do they vilify Richie? Do they back away from backing Martin at all. Do they blame the Dolphins org as dysfunctional (this would have been easier had Philbin been fired).

Overall the MAIN goal MUST be to contain the damage to a few players, or at worst one team. The NFL does not want this opening a larger scandal, or debate about NFL league wide problems. They do not want a lot of light cast on drugs in every locker room, for example. They have exempt status through the government and as such the government tends to be willing to poke it's head into NFL affairs if there are league wide major problems… remember the Penn. senator who pushed for a Spygate coverup commission trhrough the senate after his Eagles had lost to the Pats? Crazy but true.

What the NFL MUST avoid is a deep debate where the public, the media, and ultimately WASHINGTON are asking questions like "How pervasive is drug use in ALL NFL locker rooms?" among other things. Remember the baseball steroid hearings?

So the NFL must protect it's special tax-exempt, national pastime status that helps it make it's billions. And you better believe it's willing to amputate a finger (Incognito) or hand (Dolphins) to save the whole body.

UCF FINatic and bigbry like this.