1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer Help

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by Stitches, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Ok, I have been fighting my PC for the better part of a week now, and am ready to slam my head through a wall.

It all started roughly a week ago, when (seemingly) out of the blue I got BSoD. If I recall, something earlier (within a few hours at most) had auto-updated (I want to say it was a java update but I honestly can't recall at this time), and I also launched a game for the first time (Valdis Story) which installed/updated a few files. Well, that one BSoD, led to numerous. And I tried to restore to the night before, but it didn't fix my problem. I did a little more digging, and notice my CPU temps had creeped up some even when just on the BIOS screen. I tinkered with the fan a little bit, but it didn't help (I may have actually made things worse), so I thought maybe I was crashing because of high CPU temps. I order a new heatsink and fan because of this.

Fast forward to today and the heatsink and fan arrive, and I install them. Boot to BIOS, and have idle temps around 45 degC in BIOS. Start up and after like 5 mins it BSoD's. Run ram checks in BIOS, everything comes out fine. Boot to safe mode, and try and run a virus or malware scan, freezes after 5 mins.

Try msconfig and only load the necessary drivers and applications. Doesn't help.

Restore back to Jan 16th when I know I didn't have any issues. Doesn't help.

I finally enabled a boot logger (to see if drivers are failing), though I'm not sure where it stores the log. I also changed it so Windows doesn't reset on its own after a crash, so I can finally get the BSoD code (to which I only had the main code initially).

*** STOP: 0x000000F4 (0x0000000000000003, 0xFFFFFA80082EDB30, 0xFFFFFA80082EDE10, 0xFFFFF800378E7B0)

If anyone has some suggestions or troubleshooting tips, I'm all ears (even if it is directing me to a better forum for this sort of problem).

I don't mind that there is a problem that needs fixed, but it's infuriating me that I can't figure out what is the cause, so I don't know how to fix it. :angry:

2. #1 fan

#1 fan Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2007
    miami
    I had some issues with high Motherboard temps (not cpu) that would cause games to crash often. My motherboard would go above 56 C consistently on load, at it was usually at this temp that my system crashed. No real way to fix that besides buy more fans or open your case to cool it down. I'd also check your temps while you're playing the game by pressing Alt+tab.

FWIW Bios temps for me tend to be higher in the Bios screen than in Windows. Also, I'd say 45 C is about as high as I'd want to have my CPU if it was idling (mine is in the 30's).

If you have two cards in SLI or Crossfire that would also make me think it's case temps. An overclock as well.

Edit: It looks like you're having this issue just browsing in Windows. No clue. I'd be tempted to run Windows with my case open just to make sure it's not the temps. If that didn't work I'd think about reinstalling Windows, but I'm sure there's a better answer.

You could also try and download HDtune(it's free) and run an error scan check to see if your hard drive is crapping out on you.

3. McLovin

McLovin Resident Pats fan.

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka
    try taking your ram sticks out one at a time. then each additional card out one at a time and see if that helps. BSOD is typically a memory error or a hardware error. (caused by defective hardware or temperature)

try running a memory error check in the bios.

edit: also, (0x000000F4) the F4 can mean hard drive or drive controller issues.

4. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Did that before and after my CPU temp issues and it passed.

I will try taking ram sticks out one at a time.

McLovin likes this.
  5. McLovin

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka
    or, if you have an extra hard drive, try loading windows on it and putting that in. i mean, it could end up being the HD or a kernal error in windows. when my hard drive crapped, it would freeze, reboot and then freeze again. eventually, it wouldnt even find the disk anymore.

6. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    Download and run MemTest. It's a more thorough test than the included ones.

http://www.memtest.org/

BSOD can certainly be a pain in the *** to deal with. For me it's usually a bad driver or a bad RAM stick.

Also try taking out the CMOS battery and reseating it. I've seen that be the cause on one machine I've worked on. Ended up just replacing it because they're cheap.

7. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Can that memtest be completed in less than 5 minutes? That's as much time as I get before freezing or BSoD.

Edit: Nevermind, looks like you can create a bootable USB with it.

8. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Ram some sticks like McLovin suggested.

CaribPhin, SICK and McLovin like this.
  9. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    The fact that this started happening after an update you don't recall is worrisome. I'd wager it's some sort of driver or application update that installs a subsystem driver (like how Daemon Tools installs virtual CD drives). I don't think you have a RAM issue, though it's always possible.

Run a check disk on your boot drive and make sure nothing is wrong there. Then check your Device Manager for any driver conflicts (device listings with a yellow exclamation mark).

10. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I'll run checkdisk first when I get home, and update. Then I'll check device manager.

11. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    sometimes the designs are flawed. If you think its overheating, you can add more fans pretty cheaply.
    Can you rollback before the updates?

12. McLovin

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka
    he tried a restore already to the night before, but that didnt work. i'm leaning hard drive controller error.

13. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Yea, temp isn't an issue anymore I don't think. My system temp never got high, I have like 3 fans attached to my case, it was just the cpu temp only which got high.

14. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Tried to do the check disk in my boot drive, and I walked away at like 19% done. When I came back about 10 mins later it was in BSoD, albeit with a new code this time. I'll have to google this one after watching a terrible Cavs team.

15. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    So frustrated... can't run CHKDSK...can't restore to a good recovery point anymore...it still BSoD's in everything. Removing RAM didn't help.

I'm seriously at a loss for what to do.

16. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I think you have a corrupted boot disk.

Time to look at deals on new SSDs and Windows 8.1...

17. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Windows 8.1?!

I just built a new PC and I wasn't touching that OS. :lol:

MikeHoncho likes this.
  18. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009
    Had a few clients earlier in the year re-format to 7 after buying new PCs.

GridIronKing34 likes this.
  19. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    I really don't get the Windows 8 hate. I have it on my new PC and I love it

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

BicketyBam likes this.
  20. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009
    It's fine for home/recreational use and just web/browsing/email.

Its usability and/or efficiency in the workplace environment is yet to be determined.

Personally, I find it incredibly disjointed and inconsistent /w Metro. Why does my PDF reader need to use the entire screen, and take a full 20 seconds to load up a document?

Removing the ease of use of the Start menu for example (on the desktop workstation in a production environment at least) feels akin to moving the hazard lights switch to inside the glove compartment, in a car.

Also, where the bleep did Solitaire go?

21. GridIronKing34

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I do a lot of video editing on my PC and I just didn't care to learn how to use it... especially when I had a Windows 7 key handy. Windows 8 looked clunky and a pain in the *** to navigate to me.

MikeHoncho likes this.
  22. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009

UX-wise, it doesn't make sense in a production environment. When you hit Superkey you shouldn't then have to scan left and right from where you are searching to get what you're searching (settings/apps/documents/... search categories.). The old Superkey gave you the results right there in the Start menu. Start menu search was just fine.

The Start menu as a whole was perfect.

But Metro does work for touch-screen devices and tablets.

GridIronKing34 likes this.
  23. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Is a SSD likely to have failed in 30+ months? To the point where it's unrecoverable at that?

24. McLovin

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka
    no moving parts.

MikeHoncho likes this.
  25. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Que? Shouldn't no moving parts be one less path for failure?

26. McLovin

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka
    you asked if it would last 30+ months and i just gave you a selling point as to why it should!

27. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    You guys talking about CPUs, OS, Ram *****, Hard Drives and I am sitting here like

[​IMG]

CaribPhin and Boik14 like this.
  28. GridIronKing34

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Please. You're the leading expert in Ram *****.

How's Sam Bradford doing anyways?

CaribPhin and MikeHoncho like this.
  29. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Good.

wait.....dammit.

Boik14, GridIronKing34 and MikeHoncho like this.
  30. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    SSDs do have finite lifespans. Once you hit a certain number of writes, your performance starts declining. Once you hit a higher number of writes, the drive is done. That number depends on the specific drive and the controller. 3 years is early but not unheard of.

In this specific case it definitely seems like something happened to your drive. A power surge, perhaps? Or it could just be developing problems as it ages and wears. BSODing during a disk check is a huge red flag to me regardless of the underlying cause.

Time to look into the Samsung 840 Pro and the Sandisk Extreme II, IMO.

You should still be able to use the drive as a second disk, especially after running a secure erase on it.

MikeHoncho likes this.
  31. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Did you know once you are on the start screen you can just start typing and it'll automatically begin searching? I just hit windows key, type and select my program

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

32. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009
    Yes. I'm aware of the Metro interface.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

33. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Yes, Windows 8.1. Enable the option to boot to desktop by default, then enjoy the under the hood changes that make for a very solid, stable OS while remaining in the classic desktop environment.

I've learned to live with the Start Screen as basically a full screen start menu, but if you absolutely can't, then just install a third party start menu. There's no reason to let Metro be a deterrent. It can be easily learned if you want, or easily eliminated if you want.

I've been running 8 since it was released, and likewise 8.1 since its release, on my gaming PC. (My main computer is a Mac Mini.)

The start menu is awful, IMO. It makes no sense from a hierarchical perspective, and does not abstract away application management. If anything, it introduces complexity where it doesn't need to exist. The start menu's simultaneous advantage and disadvantage is that people older than the age of 25 are used to it.

The real irony of Windows 8 is that the Metro interface is just a full screen start menu without subfolders. The Metro Start Screen winds up being used almost exactly the same way as the start menu, but people loathe the Start Screen. That's funny to me, because it's just an implicit admission that the start menu is awful.

34. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    I've been using Windows 8 with Classic Shell since it came out. Using it both at home and work. I have it skip the start screen.

Once you get used to it, it's great.

Desides likes this.
  35. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I meant my current boot drive is a SSD already.

36. McLovin

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka
    ah! i missed that.

37. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
  38. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
  39. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    It's more buying a new OS license that I have biggest issue with. :/

40. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    You can run your current license, that won't be a problem unless you tossed out the installation disc and license. Though I still think going up to 8.1 is your best bet.