1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

coke commercial

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by unluckyluciano, Feb 2, 2014.

1. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    http://deadspin.com/dumb-people-mad-at-multilingual-america-the-beautiful-1514567876?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_facebook&utm_source=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

murica

MURICA!!

MUUUUUUUURRRRRIIIIIIICCCCCCCCCAAAAAAAAA!!!

muuuuuuuricaaa!!!

2. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I wasn't offended but I think its silly to pretend everyone in every country wants to be here and be us. I'd say 75% of the world and its people generally hate us.

3. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    putting it in different languages pretended people want to be here?

TiP54 likes this.
  4. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    It wasn't the intent, but it kind of implies it yes. 95% of the people I know who speak a foreign language are first generation to be born here. Am I supposed to assume everyone in the commercial was born here and is just proud of their heritage?

Commercial still offended me. People need to stop pretending its great to be American. I'd gouge my eyes out if it meant I could leave this cultural wasteland. No matter what language you say it there is no reason to be proud to be American in this day and age.

5. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Is it sad that this doesn't surprise me?

unluckyluciano likes this.
  6. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    ....Do I even have to say it?

7. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    implied or what you inferred? I didn't get that at all from the commercial. Having people that actually exist in this country using their actual language in no way implies what you are saying it does.

8. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    It isn't that hard to leave the country.

TiP54, CaribPhin, cuchulainn and 7 others like this.
  9. McLovin

McLovin Resident Pats fan.

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka
    ok.. first. did if offend you or not?

I really hope you're just drunk, because I met a lot of people when I was a Marine who gave up an awful lot to protect your right to be an asshat and say **** like that.

You sound like you belong in the Westboro Baptist Church.

TiP54, cuchulainn, muscle979 and 8 others like this.
  10. McLovin

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka
    You also have to remember that the Superbowl is broadcast to many places, outside of America.

Think about that for a second.

Colorado Dolfan likes this.
  11. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    wait, Alex passes judgement on the commercial b/c he doesn't agree with it but you feel it's ok to pass judgement on him b/c you don't agree with his passed judgement? :huh: I don't understand.

Those people you met when you were a Marine who gave up an awful lot to protect Alex's rights, were they Americans getting paid to serve in the U.S. military and did so of their own free will, or were they with foreign birth certificates fighting for a country in which they didn't reside? You're 33, so I'm guessing everyone you served with did so b/c they chose to, b/c they felt it was the best option for them at the time or represented a desired career, so please don't get sanctimonious about it. And don't tell me those guys joined up to specifically protect Alex's rights. They signed up b/c of the paycheck, or because they weren't sure what else to do, or because they couldn't get into college or pay for it, or because they flat out wanted to kick some *** and play commando.

What about the people who fought to provide a free America in the first place? Why do they deserve to be desecrated so to speak? If a foreign individual living under the protection of America can't learn the country's goddam national anthem in its original, native language, then they don't deserve to be here in the first place. Foreigners didn't fight and claw their way to come to Mexico 2.0, South America 2.0, Cuba 2.0 or whatever. They desired AMERICA, and they left their countries to come here; they weren't forced, so they should feel a sense of pride to learn our anthems exactly as they were created. The song is AMERICA the Beautiful, not Some Other Country the Beautiful. This country provides them a better life and allows many of them to support their families back home, removing that money from of our economy in the process, yet you think America is the one who should be making concessions when it comes to our language and national songs? The only place in the world not trying to learn our official language is our own goddam country. Everywhere else is trying to learn English, but in English-spoken America we're now singing an anthem in foreign languages. That's f***ed up. With you being an ex Marine, I'd think you'd be upset to hear the country you fought and bled for is now singing anthems in foreign languages. Tolerating and embracing foreigners doesn't mean America and its generations of English speaking citizens should have to bend over backward to change its ways to accommodate them. Would you ever catch Italy singing their national anthem in their neighbor's French tongue? Seriously, outside of the olympics, when would you ever hear a country singing one of its songs in a foreign language?!!!

LiferYank likes this.
  12. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Coke pissed on the United States in order to reach a wider demographic. Period.

13. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    Well shouldn't the commercial have technically been in Navajo or Algonquian? ;)

Actually, that might have been good, put it in an endangered language that was originated in America and see if people complain.

CaribPhin, NaboCane and ToddPhin like this.
  14. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Yes if we're being fair, and ironically I bet it would've been met with an even greater amount of discourse and hostility.

15. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    In what way is it pissing on the US to acknowledge you are multi cultural?

16. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    All of that is complete and utter bull ****.

EVERY single ethnicity of immigrants came here speaking their own language and forming their own little areas. There are various Little Italys, Chinatowns, Polish towns, Dutch, French, etc. areas dotting the entire country. And most of these areas were formed because the people already here were racist and didn't want these people living near them. Jesus, even the Irish were hated for all the same things you're saying now.

This "speak English or get out" is ignorant and borderline racist. Your life is barely affected by what other people speak here, unless its part of your job...in which case you chose your job.

17. Two Tacos

Two Tacos Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    The best thing about this rant is that apparently you don't even known which song is America's "national anthem". You go patriot! We don't have any anthems other than the "Star Spangled Banner". And, I served next to foreign nationals while in the Navy. It's fairly common. It's a quicker way to earn citizenship, not all were seeking citizenship though. There are recruitment centers in the Philippians for example. There is even a VA regional office in Manila because of the number of vets in that country.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

muscle979, finyank13, McLovin and 3 others like this.
  18. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Exactly. There's a long and storied history of the US letting people become citizens by enlisting dating back to the Revolution.

19. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL

This right here is a god fearing American folks....

Pathetic

Fin D likes this.
  20. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    I like the ones who say "This is why I drink Pepsi".

Pepsi's CEO is Indra Nooyi. I'm sure they think it's a guy named Tom though.

21. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    I get the diversity stuff, but English is our national language. Singing a song about America the beautiful in other languages can be perceived as attention whoring, trying to cause drama (it's working) and pointless.

I get the point, America is so beautiful because everyone is accepted, heres the song in differnt languages......but it's just dumb. Not one person watching that game last night is clueless to the values of this country, or the different people living here. Just coke trying to get people talking.

Fin-Omenal and ToddPhin like this.
  22. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    why is it getting people talking is the real question you should be asking. Its only causing drama due to peoples bad reaction to it. Why is that other then xenophobia?

Fin D likes this.
  23. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    I can't speak for others, especially the ones like todd getting real worked up, but I can see where they'd get offended. I don't think any other country would do the same to one of their national songs. And that right there is the point of the coke commerical (we're different) and the point of people arguing ("no one else would do this rah rah!")

Coke is the most recognized brand in the world, they could've spent that 4mm on something more productive.

cuchulainn likes this.
  24. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Don't be stupid, everyone knows the CEO is named Bob American Pepsi, Jr. Just like the guy that owns Budweiser is Ted Baldeagle Constitution, III.

TiP54, CaribPhin, muscle979 and 5 others like this.
  25. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    That's just it though. The people are saying America is special and great and unique, then they turn around and say this commercial is stupid because no other country would do it.

Its like Goth kids dressing like each other because they don't want to conform.....

26. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    do we know for sure other countries haven't done it? no.
    and again why is it offensive? It's not. Its pure xenophobia really.

27. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Haha stupid In_flames !

It's not offensive to me, to you, or to a lot of people. But OBVIOUSLY it is, dumb or not, to a majority, because it's a big talking point this day.

28. Colorado Dolfan

Colorado Dolfan ...dirty drownin' man?

I don't think it's offensive to a majority.

Just a really ****ing vocal minority, as it always is...

29. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    I think it is really nice of Coke to not just want to poison American citizens. Immigrants and illegals need diabetes and heart disease too ya know!

ToddPhin and finyank13 like this.
  30. bigbry

bigbry Huge Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Colorado
    Yeah but we can all understand that.

finyank13 and Fin D like this.
  31. McLovin

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka
    because you're issued Coke when you're born, right?

32. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    ...says 3/5 of a man.

finyank13 and McLovin like this.
  33. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    We actually don't have a national language if I recall correctly.

Fin D likes this.
  34. bigbry

bigbry Huge Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Colorado
    I cant help it....

finyank13 and Fin D like this.
  35. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Am I the only one who thought, "That's a cool idea" after the commercial then moved on with life? I really don't see why it's worth getting worked up over.

TiP54, rafael, Silverphin and 6 others like this.
  36. McLovin

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka
    i didnt think twice about the commercial until i saw the post about being embarrassed to be an american, yada yada yada.

Two Tacos, Bpk, finyank13 and 3 others like this.
  37. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    If anything I'd be more embarrassed by the overly pandering Budweiser commercials.

Stitches, bigbry and Fin D like this.
  38. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    People just love to get worked up for no reason. I liked the commercial and the message. Anyone who actually has a problem with it needs to find something more productive to do. Coke trying to be controversial and get people talking? LOL. Come on. Coke has a history of commercials similar to this one. They had the one last year that showed a bunch of people caught on camera doing good deeds for others. They like to go for the "love and togetherness" angle in their commercials and I like that.

As for the Budweiser puppy/horse commercial meister referred to, I loved that one as well. As an animal lover those commercials always get to me.

bigbry likes this.
  39. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Not according to wikipedia (I know that's not end all be all)

40. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_the_United_States#Official_language_status

McLovin likes this.