1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Supplements on a plane!!

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by Fishweiser, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Fishweiser

Fishweiser New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Recently, after my doc told me I had some heart issues, I sort of went nuts with the supplement route to try and get some kind of positive effect from them. Theres a good bit of them, and I found it cheaper and easier to buy these in bulk powders and then mix them up in a blend that I can scoop out and drink them with water and such. Im not sure if its helping my heart, but they are helping my mood and energy levels, so none the less, Its become a routine for me. Ill throw the blend out there if it helps, also, if anybody here is more experienced with the nutritional stuff to point out any issues, problems or changes needed. The list is:

4 grams lysine and proline, vitamin C, arginine, citrulline
    3 grams GPLC
    2 grams taurine, theanine
    1 gram carnisone, pycnogenol

Thats what I try to get in one day divided in 4 doses...morning, lunch, diner, bed. Again, to make taking all this easier, I take a weeks worth of this dosing and blend it all together in a canister. I know I may not get exact dosing this way, but its easy and I figure its close enough. At any rate, I plan on taking a trip on a cruise to Alaska this summer. Im starting to wonder what TSA or whoever is going to think of me trying to bring a canister of this white powder concoction in a suit case on a plane? Has any of you tried to bring supplements on a plane? im just wondering what kinda issues I might run into, and even wondering if I should even try. LOL

2. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    To be honest, I would recommend buying the smallest quantities required for the trip and packing them separately in their original sealed packages and then put them in your checked baggage. If they see a powder of unknown substance, who knows what they will do. Even if it smells like vanilla, I don't think they will take a chance if they open your suitcase. Either the powder doesn't make it, or your entire suitcase.

I travel to the US a lot for work, and have also learned NOT to lock my checked baggage or it is nearly certain that the lock will be broken and I will have one of those inspection slips in my bag. Even without locking it I get those slips from time to time. Not sure how it works on your domestic flights though. Just an added tip in the event you want to take your chances with your premix.

Fishweiser likes this.
  3. Fishweiser

Fishweiser New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Yeah, I dont want to run into any issues. I wonder if i could UPS a container of it to Carnival, or the Hotel Im staying at the night before the cruise? May try and check into that....

4. Fishweiser

Fishweiser New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Of course it might be strange calling and asking carnival or the hotel ..."hey, i have a package that Im not sure ill make it through airport security, can I mail it to you and pick it up when I get there?".....Im sure that will go over well LOL

5. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Not at all. They will hold it for you no problems. Sometimes when I exhibit at trade shows I forget to send a few things like brochures and stuff, so I do just that. Send it UPS with an 8.5"x11" print out saying "Hold for Mr. XXXXXX" (not my real name in case you were wondering :lol:) and they do, no issues. Just address the Concierge as the consignee and you are good to go.

6. McLovin

McLovin Resident Pats fan.

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka
    dont even say that. just mail it to the hotel.

i got stopped at security in San Antonio in June because i had a bottle of garlic salt in my carry on. i had made some food when i was with family and i had to purchase it there so when i was done i threw it in my bag. TSA pulled me aside and search my bag, took the bottle out and tested it for explosives. I was talking with the TSA agent while she did it and she told me that powder shows up a different color on the xray.

7. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Generally if anything in pill form isn't in a bottle and sealed, they usually dont let it on the plane....

As for supplements, I have hypertension and I dont trust anything because it isnt FDA approved.....

I take powder protein and that it...

8. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Can't ya' purchase da damn stuff when ya' arrive at yo' destinashun? It's plum JIBE t'try and brin' some stuff, add t'yo' luggage weight. TSA shouldn't be much uh a gots'tasle if yo' containers are sealed (neva' opened).

9. McLovin

McLovin Resident Pats fan.

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka
    i have hypertension too and I take L'Arginine supplement. i dont think its FDA approved but it has been studied for other uses. They are inconclusive on its effect on hypertension but mine went down quite a bit after taking it for a few weeks.